Should I replace Cortana with Google Assist

Sylvrwulf

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I use both really. Cortana on my PC, laptop, and Surface tablet which then syncs to my Pixel 2 for long term reminders, calendars, etc. But when I'm just doing quick, simple stuff like timers, short term reminders, calling/texting, pulling up playlist, etc, I use Google Assist. I also got the Home Mini and Chromecast (promotion with my phone purchase) which is encouraging more "Hey Googles" that before. The Pixel 2's "squeeze for assist" is pretty nice feature too, I have to admit. I thought it was a bit silly when I got the phone, but its definitely grown on me. I had some serious separation anxiety when I switched from my Icon to this Pixel 2, but with all the MS apps, it was a surprisingly smooth transition. But Cortana still isn't quite "there" yet on Android to fully replace.

rmark66

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Cortana has:
"Hey Cortana" activation
Microsoft and some Google integration

Cortana is however behind in some areas like skills (at least to Alexa, I don't know where Google Assistant is at with that).

My main reason for going with Cortana is the Microsoft respects privacy much more and doesn't use it to make money on ads or sales to partners.

Tyson Wright

Dec 16, 2017
Visit site
Six months into using an Android phone, I'm wondering why I should stay with Cortana?
I use MS's Arrow launcher and made Cortana the default digital assistant, but now I'm wondering if Google Assist wouldn't be the better option.

What are the advantages of Cortana over Google Assist? I'd appreciate hearing from those who've used both. Thanks.

Vincent McLaughlin

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I tried to use Cortana as my go to assistant, when I had to switch to Android. However, as people have already mentioned, computer integration. If you don't use Windows 10 or care about the integration, it shouldn't bother you too much.

I must admit, as much as I hated to start liking Google assistant, Cortana doesn't leave me an option on Android for voice activation. If MS was able to deeply integrate the app into the OS and allow voice activation, I would use it more. I appreciate the texts on my computer screen. That way, I can determine what I need or want to respond to, without having to keep picking up my phone.

Google assistant does a lot of things right and the voice activation is much more dependable than Cortana ever was on Windows 10 Mobile. It was like Cortana just stopped hearing me after a while. However, to date, neither Google or iPhone can handle incoming text messages the way Cortana could right from the phone. It didnt matter if you had Apple or Google built into your car system. Cortana just worked and worked well, when it came to that. Oddly, when it was connected to my car stereo, it was very dependable.

Montpbm

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I removed as much Google as possible and only use Microsoft apps because it works with my PC with Windows 10. Everything works good, the Microsoft Launcher is IMO the best launcher out there. Yes, Cortana needs lots of work along with Microsoft's cards etc.. I wish it looked & performed more like Samsung Bigsby thing. That's why I miss Windows Phone because we wouldn't have to live with almost nothing integrated with our phones

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I have beta of launcher and Cortana on Android. How can I get Cortana to read sms messages? I thought this was introduced at some point.

Dradzk

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Actually, "Hey Cortana" worked for a bit with a Bluetooth device. At least it was in the beta version for a while a couple months back. It could even read incoming text messages if you wished. It was rather buggy when it first came out, and I didn't use it for long though. Doesn't look like it is currently there unfortunately. I wonder if they are still working on it.

Stan77

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Cortana's limited skills and poor language support leaves me with Google. But I can survive without that just as well.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Absolutely right. This option is needed for most people who are on prepaid Mobile to control cost and prevent shock when data plan runs out.
Isn't that controlled by your email account settings? I haven't checked in awhile but thought that was a setting.

Sent from mTalk on my HP Elite X3

taynjack

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
I used Cortana daily on my Lumia 640XL. Setting reminders, sending texts, and calendar updates. I've tried on android but it just doesn't work nearly as fluidly. Often when I ask her to set a reminder, she goes to the web. :angry: I haven't tried Google assistant yet as I am trying to stay as far away as I can from Google data harvesting. So really, I practically don't use any assistant at this point. Sad, because I used Cortana multiple times a day before. She worked perfectly with my car setup on my Lumia. Not so anymore. Very sad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss