Should I return my 950 xl?

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Is there a history of Windows Phone bloatware, outside of a splash screen or a few carrier apps that can be uninstalled?

There was some, my Samsung had some apps that were annoying, and very hard to un-install, back in the day.

I don't think HP has made a Windows Phone, that I know of, but they're infamous for the bloatware; it's hard to find an OEM that tops them there.

W10m is much better in this regard, *almost* any app can be uninstalled, but I'd leave it up to HP to build in some funky service that made it very hard to use some phone functions, when de-installed... ;-]

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
My unlocked 950 was originally on O2 so I get their splash screen still, even though I use a SIM from Three. I might change it ID soon though otherwise I'm unlikely to get any firmware updates.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Technically, the Surface phone still hasn't really been confirmed and, if it is, it could still be underwhelming or delayed, this is Microsoft after all. So, I say stick with your 950XL for the time being. I really enjoy mine and it is my favourite Windows phone to date. The phone, in my opinion, isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Sure, it may not look sexy but beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all and I have no regrets at all.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Technically, the Surface phone still hasn't really been confirmed and, if it is, it could still be underwhelming or delayed, this is Microsoft after all. So, I say stick with your 950XL for the time being. I really enjoy mine and it is my favourite Windows phone to date. The phone, in my opinion, isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Sure, it may not look sexy but beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all and I have no regrets at all.

Yep, this is my thinking too, I really think you got a bargain on the buy-one-get-one deal, why wait for 1-2 years, for a semi-mythical device, when you could use 950XL, in all it's current polish. I really like my phone, taking the WDRT plunge to get the double-tap-to-wake firmware was very worth it after all, it sort of completes it for me, I'm only short the WiFi calling/texting now, from having my ideal.

If you had asked me a couple of months ago, I'd probably have a different answer, but a LOT has changed in that time, in terms of stability and feature polish, and we've still got RedStone on the near-horizon (and hopefully still stability, based on the slow/fast ring posts here).

I personally think my phone looks pretty cool, with my basic black textured TPU case and Nillkin glass protector, I get a lot of "what phone is that???" from friends and other random people, every time I take it out.
I was taking pictures at the Boston concert the other day, and people noticed now good my mostly-dark pics were coming out, and asked me to take pics and send them, etc. You just can't beat the camera, maybe you could match it, but I think it's really hard to beat, in a phone!

ismeyall

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Keeping the phones guys!! Is build:14393 the latest? Trying to see why I don't have the double tab and also is my Blu with build: 14332 has a better outlook layout imo. Any inputs?

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
What firmware version(s)?
You have to have ...16236... in order to use the new DTTW functionality.

If you need to flash your phones with WDRT, do it now, before you configure things, save yourself some headache ;-]

Oh yeah, are you still selling the second one? I may be looking here, wondering what your bottom is, PM me if you want.
My wife is still griping about the M8, running W10m, it hangs a couple times a week, which is twice too many in her book (my daughter, on my old 1020, hangs maybe once/month, much more stable, go figure;-]).
Either way, sell it soon, I see them on eBAY (950, new) for about 295-310, free-ship, currently, been watching, trying to decide...

Last edited:

ismeyall

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
What firmware version(s)?
You have to have ...16236... in order to use the new DTTW functionality.

If you need to flash your phones with WDRT, do it now, before you configure things, save yourself some headache ;-]

Oh yeah, are you still selling the second one? I may be looking here, wondering what your bottom is, PM me if you want.
My wife is still griping about the M8, running W10m, it hangs a couple times a week, which is twice too many in her book (my daughter, on my old 1020, hangs maybe once/month, much more stable, go figure;-]).
Either way, sell it soon, I see them on eBAY (950, new) for about 295-310, free-ship, currently, been watching, trying to decide...

My firmware is: 16082.36005. Version:1607. How many catch up to the newest firmware and version to get to the double tap? I have the the insider set as fast, but phone is stated that is up to date. Any help?

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, you need to flash, you're one major "revision" off. WDRT is the easiest/simplest, other than OTA, which isn't available for the US 950XL DS yet.
Hopefully you haven't done too much in terms of setup yet, just do a backup, to recover what's possible, flash, then upgrade again, before you restore, you'll get most of it back, just not all the settings and a few other things. One user was saying if you revert back to the latest RS builds, that restore is fixed, and everything restores properly.
I'm on Release Preview, so I've only read this part (see the firmware update of DTTW threads), my restore was partial, after WDRT->upgrade->Reset->Restore, but I'm super happy I did it now, I'm re-addicted to DTTW ;-]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire