Should MSFT ban google services on windows!!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The only way that's possible is if you don't want to see it. And honestly, Google would be stupid not to actively damage WP. That is, after all, in their best interest.

Agreed. All businesses try in some way to best their competitors. Microsoft for example expressed an interest in assisting with taking control of Android away from Google. Nice guy, right? :shocked:

I understand how users here who love Microsoft and hate Google don't like this, but I do not understand how anybody can say that this is an evil, illegal, and unethical move on the part of Google. I guarantee you that if the situation was reversed, Microsoft would be doing the same thing. It's business. At the moment Google happens to be in the driver's seat on this front.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...I understand how users here who love Microsoft and hate Google don't like this...

You always revert to "fanboism" in your arguments.

I have no particular Love of Microsoft. I'm on this platform now. I've not always been and I am still open to something better. That something better has not come along and it is not Android and all-in with the Google ecosystem. I've been there, done that.

Disliking Google's invasiveness needs no deeper meaning than that surface. As tech becomes more proliferated, as ad filtering becomes better... Google has grown more desperate to dominate every screen and circumvent those methods that users have to opt out of viewing ads. The fact that they placed ads in my email box and blocked my legitimate click into an article by superimposing an ad is not something I want in my life. It is an unwanted and unasked for intrusion pure and simple.

I used Chrome for years and just switched off it about 2 months ago.. I was heavily into Android, supporting Nexus financially and advocating for it. I had two different Google TV streaming devices.

To say that those who feel cheated and betrayed by Google, that those who speak out against it, who feel invaded by an ad-centric organization that wants to track and pounce without remorse are all some fanbois beholden to another master greatly oversimplifies things.

Play another note - that one is flat.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
While I agree that Google is very shady in its dealings with MSFT, I don't think it would help MSFT to ban the services. All of the people who use Gmail, GChat, Drive, and so on wouldn't just say "oh that's okay, ill just use Outlook, Skype, and Onedrive"! It will be more like "What the hell, seriously? You disabled half of the things I use on my laptop? Im getting a Chromebook".

Im not a fan of MS releasing apps for Android though. Most people who own an Android phone aren't going to use OneDrive. They aren't going to look for Xbox Music or something. They are going to stick with the Google products that come preloaded on the phone. Putting MS products on Android just gives people more reason to disregard WP.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You always revert to "fanboism" in your arguments.

You're the one who called what I said "fanboism", not me! I didn't say that at all. I was saying that I do actually understand the position of those who actually do love Microsoft and hate Google. Are they fanboys? Call them whatever you want. That wasn't my point. But if the shoe fits...

This forum makes a lot of digs at "iSheep" and iHerd" those who simply "follow the crowd". I see it as the pot calling the kettle black. I actively use a Nexus 6, a Lumia 920, and an iPhone 5. I also have a couple Android tablets, an iPad Mini 2, and 2 laptops with Windows 8.1, as well as a desktop currently running Windows 10 TP. The device I use more than any other is my PC at work with Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

What am I?

While I agree that Google is very shady in its dealings with MSFT, I don't think it would help MSFT to ban the services. All of the people who use Gmail, GChat, Drive, and so on wouldn't just say "oh that's okay, ill just use Outlook, Skype, and Onedrive"! It will be more like "What the hell, seriously? You disabled half of the things I use on my laptop? Im getting a Chromebook".

Im not a fan of MS releasing apps for Android though. Most people who own an Android phone aren't going to use OneDrive. They aren't going to look for Xbox Music or something. They are going to stick with the Google products that come preloaded on the phone. Putting MS products on Android just gives people more reason to disregard WP.

The answer to why Microsoft released apps for Android and iOS is in your first paragraph. Android users (and iOS users) weren't going to go out and get a WP because Office wasn't available. They were moving towards Google Docs and iWorks because they were available. Those products aren't even in the same league as Office, but for most users they're good enough.

MarkusDindu

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
My question is Should MSFT ban google services on windows?? As windows is the most popular and major OS for pc ,laptops ,convertible ,etc. As msft have the higher share on market and the place from where google earns it's major revenue! Baning google will stop the Google's not competitive monopoly for windows phone , such as not giving apps and removing some useful after buying then! This may start a war but something has to be done the evil suckerball google!!

If they did that they would lose a lot of users. Myself included. That doesn't make sense from a business standpoint.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the OP on this. But I'm thinking leave the browser called chrome alone but limit its services it wants to provide..especially if they conflict with what Microsoft is bringing aka Cortana. Microsoft should throttle chrome on PC's and laptops running all versions of Windows, especially 7,8 and 10. Moreover, they should severely limit google ads on its web pages on its OS. Nix google. If they want to act like children, they ought to be treated like the rug rats that they are. Period.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
how people (other than windows phone user) react to Google blocking YouTube and Softcard Apps for Windows Phone
AndroidSheep said:
Ha, Windows Phone is such a failure, not a single dev supporting it
6YearAppleSheep said:
Win Phone iz BS, cnt gt appz LOLOLOL, there phon sckksss
iHateM$ said:
Windows Phone? what is that? no wonder why google block it

how people (other than windows phone user) react to Microsoft remove Office from Android
AndroidSheep said:
FK YOU M$ WHAT THE FK FORCE PEOPLE USE THEIR BS THINK ANYONE WOULD USE WIN PHONE? NO
6YearAppleSheep said:
MS is suporting Appel <3 n there win phone scks so there don remov office frm appel
iHateM$ said:
Later, M$ will make it free for windows phone and windows, but cost $1000/month for apple and android

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
No, not only would that be an anti trust case but would make Microsoft as bad as Google. Make them harder to use on Windows, maybe but banning them outright isn't the right thing to do IMHO. The Google Maps on WP incident springs to mind, where Google actively blocked WP users from accessing Google Maps and thought no one would notice.

The other option is Microsoft cripple their own services on Android e.g. no voice search in Bing app.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ Or Google's servers intentionally serving up crap HTML from the early 2000's, whenever they detected mobile IE as the client.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
For the most part, this has been a decent discussion. But please remember to leave the personal insults at the door. I like these threads- as a user who is more interested in the business side of mobile than the tech side, I often feel a little behind in conversations. This one is right up my alley. I would HATE to see it closed due to it degrading to arguments.

First off- my opinion on Google differs depending on how we are talking about them:

-From a services point of view, I respect the living crud out of them. I think Google Maps is still the standard, at least here in North America. Bing Maps are okay and Nokia Maps are good, but in my experience neither is as accurate. If I could wave the magic wand, I would have Google maps ported over to my Windows devices in a nano-second. You Tube has no rival, and Google has built an amazing support system for apps and services that has made them king of the smartphones and the top rival for tablets. To not respect them for what they have built is silly.

-From a business perspective- I again respect the crud out of them. They have taken a model used by magazines, tv, and thousands of other mediums and made it a near art form: Build a service, and sell advertisement. Search for a flight from Indy to Nashville? All of a sudden, you have all kinds of motel and rent-a-car offers from Nashville. Wow, what a coincidence. Search for used 2 person tents on your phone or tablet, or use Google on your laptop? Look at that- your G-Mail and websites have links to Amazon, Cabelos, or other outdoor outfitters and guess what is there?? Amazing- it is like magic. All these services are designed to one end- get advertisers to buy in. Any money they make from the sale is pure gravy on the meatloaf.

-From my personal perspective: Sorry, Google, I am not interested. Yes, Bing search does some of the same things. But MS is a software company, and makes their big cash through that. Apple? Overpriced, but they make their money through sales of their hardware and licenses. I am way more comfortable with that. I do not want my life "forced" into the Google Advertising monster.

But this is where the MS/Google problem hits the hardest. MS NEEDS to be on iOS and Android driven devices to get ther sofftware subscriptions into user hands. Google NEEDS to be on iOS to get Ads on the largest mobile manufacturer. Google does not need Windows on phones/tablets yet. So, to "ban" those services is silly. Windows on mobile is still trying to grow. Having access to Google services would help it as there are Billions of Android/Google users.

MS can only work on it's strengths. Their bread and butter is software. Enterprise. Subscriptions. And, to a lesser degree, some advertisement revenue. If mobility is EVER to grow enough to be on that list- and it needs to be- MS needs cross-platform.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
This is a very stupid question.
You have right not to make software for specific OS but you do not hold right to ban unless it is unethical.
and if you do that then you are doing unethical practices.
Did Android ban MS services??????????????
People use Google services more than MS services in Windows and MS do not hold right to do this.(specially when their own services quality is far inferior than Google in non USA countries.)

Users have right to have choice and you are suggesting to take that.
MS do not hold right to control users.

Just for the record
Google is one of the most respectable ,admired and lovably company even more than MS itself(obviously it does not include MS fans but the general public who aren't fan of anyone)
http://fortune.com/worlds-most-admired-companies/google-2/

Treating some company like that would be ............. just imagine

Last edited:

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
No, they shouldn't ban GOOG services on Windows ... but if I was MSFT I'd keep the antitrust people on speed dial so that if GOOG steps over the line, I could get the full weight of the USGov on them (pronto). I'd also closely examine the GOOG Service API practices with antitrust in mind (force them to open up and standardize so that MSFT itself could write viable GOOG service apps for WP/W10 since GOOG won't write them itself).

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
how people (other than windows phone user) react to Google blocking YouTube and Softcard Apps for Windows Phone

how people (other than windows phone user) react to Microsoft remove Office from Android

Do I need to post MS fans comments on Google or Apple?
If you know WP fans aren't any better.

Fans always talk B$.

But I do not understand why you are posting this.
Are you suggesting that All Android, Apple users or any other than Windows are are MS hater??
or what do you want to imply with your comment?

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Do I need to post MS fans comments on Google or Apple?
If you know WP fans aren't any better.

Fans always talk B$.

But I do not understand why you are posting this.
Are you suggesting that All Android, Apple users or any other than Windows are are MS hater??
or what do you want to imply with your comment?

just trying to show how people (other than Windows user) react to when company remove their apps from opponent company's platform:
google remove block and remove their apps from windows phone. Everyone was like "HURRAY", "Meh", "So What".
microsoft remove block and remove their apps from android. Everyone was like "WTF", "I HATE YOU M$", "M$ force us to join their sucky platform with sucky service".

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
This is a very stupid question.
You have right not to make software for specific OS but you do not hold right to ban unless it is unethical.
and if you do that then you are doing unethical practices.
Did Android ban MS services??????????????
People use Google services more than MS services in Windows and MS do not hold right to do this.(specially when their own services quality is far inferior than Google in non USA countries.)

Users have right to have choice and you are suggesting to take that.
MS do not hold right to control users.

Just for the record
Google is one of the most respectable ,admired and lovably company even more than MS itself(obviously it does not include MS fans but the general public who aren't fan of anyone)
Google - - Fortune

Treating some company like that would be ............. just imagine

Most people think buying a cell phone on contract is a great idea but most don't look at the true cost of doing that. Doesn't make them idiots, just misguided. Having said that, I hate google. i didn't always but I sure as shootin' do now. I'm all about respect and loyalty and I don't like their way of paying MS back for having a platform from which to build that BS browser. Now you can continue to blindly love google and ignore those of us who have a real beef with that kind of loyalty and respect, doesn't much matter to me. I'm not going to change my opinion because some press release says people got love for google search. BTW, google is powerful enough to pay anyone to write anything. What I can see is a pesky company that needs to be brought down a few pegs. And whatever I can do to accomplish that within the limits of the law, I'm 'bout it 'bout it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss