Smart Glass question

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I both have WP8 phones and obviously have our own live accounts on the phones. The Xbox is set up on my account so I have no issues using smartglass, but on my wifes phone it wont even DL from the store with out me setting up a "new xbox account". MS cant be this stupid can they???? I can have 1000 different android phones and they can all use my live id to control my xbox through smart glass but not 2 WP8 phones????????

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
You sound slightly confusing.

The multiple android phones that can control it, don't they need to be signed in with a ms account?

Also, to download anything from the store, your WP needs to be signed into a ms account. So you need to sign in with one to download and use.

Am I misunderstanding something?

MJThib

Mar 1, 2007
Visit site
WP uses your live account for everything they can, which does streamline things, but also does limits things a bit when the way we use things do not fit they way that they expected we would use them. I don't know of a way to set the live account on the WP SmartGlass app. SmartGlass assumes the XBox live account is the live account on your WP, which is the case most times but not for a family member who is also using your account. Microsoft assumes only one person uses that XBox live account, which makes sense from a GamerTag / on-line gaming perspective, but with all of the other entertainment options, more and more people are turning on the XBox and logging into an account just to watch a movie or listen to some music. XBox live has change quite a bit since it first started.

Android is different, since it wants a google account for everything google can, so the SmartGlass app has to ask for your XBox live account.

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Exactly its a rather pitiful design that you cannot have the option to use a diff live ID on WP when using smartglass. Its all MS product and Android and iOS work better since you have the option to input your live ID.

Someone didnt think well when they designed that, you want to sell WP phones to everyone in the house but only one person can integrate with a family's Xbox?? Lame

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
You sound slightly confusing.

The multiple android phones that can control it, don't they need to be signed in with a ms account?

Also, to download anything from the store, your WP needs to be signed into a ms account. So you need to sign in with one to download and use.

Am I misunderstanding something?

With Android you have to sign in to MS yes but you get to type in which MS. WP phone you cannot use a different Live account than the main one on the phone. I even added my account as a secondary but Smartglass wont let me use it over her account.

As far as DL'ing apps she has a live account but not an xbox account set up with it. So she cannot connect to the family xbox because we cannot use my live acct in smart glass.

If Xbox would allow more than one email address to access Xbox Live it would solve that.....but NOOOO :)

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Yea, that's right. That's the way its suppose to be, like google services on android. Why won't you just sign in with both "ids" on Xbox, the same on those two phones, to use smartglass. Are you using an Xbox one? I know I've used both on my 360.

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
But then do I not have to pay for two live memberships? My wife wants smartglass so she can flip through Hulu and Netflix for the kids

Sent from my RM-821_eu_france_267 using Tapatalk

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
And with google services I can log multiple google accounts on one phone and have full control, not be forcd to run one main account

Sent from my RM-821_eu_france_267 using Tapatalk

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I had to use an android phone to better understand. I see that you can control the Xbox even without gold. The same applies to a second WP.

So you should be able to have two profiles signed in. Yours (gold) and someone else (silver). So the second phone can navigate and use the benefits of gold. They're basically just controlling your profile.

Did you try that? The problem is having yours signed in too.

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I do not need two devices at once but when I boot up the 360 it will only sign in one profile (mine/Gold) so there is no way to connect the wifes phone unless I get the controller and physically switch profiles on the 360, which defeats the whole purpose of smartglass.

I just tweeted Xbox support and complain/suggested that future releases of SG for WP8 allow manual sign in in the app

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Wait, you can sign in 2 profiles at the same time to connect your wifes smartglass.
Don't you have a 2nd controller? Did I misunderstand your earlier comment where you said the 360 only signs in your profile?

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
When i power up the 360 it signs in my profile, since my phone is the only one matching that profile only my phone can access the 360 through smart glass

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
We may have a disconnect somewhere. I understand what you just posted, but you didn't answer what I asked. Isn't the problem having smartglass connect from a "2nd" phone? You already said your wife has a outlook/Hotmail acct. just sign in her (2nd) profile after startup and connect with smartglass.

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
We may have a disconnect somewhere. I understand what you just posted, but you didn't answer what I asked. Isn't the problem having smartglass connect from a "2nd" phone? You already said your wife has a outlook/Hotmail acct. just sign in her (2nd) profile after startup and connect with smartglass.

Completely defeats the purpose of having smart glass, i shouldnt have to log her in to Xbox (which logs me out) and then pay for her to have a live acct. I dont have an Xbox One so I cant have two profiles logged in at the same tilme, and its pointless to have to turn on two controllers just to allow her to use her phone for smart glass.

The simple solution is to allow manual log in on each WP SG app

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
QUOTE=MikesChevelle;2279741]Completely defeats the purpose of having smart glass, i shouldnt have to log her in to Xbox (which logs me out) and then pay for her to have a live acct.

*False, Xbox 360 lets more than one profile log in simultaneously. I can even press the Xbox button on the 2nd controller and pull up that controllers info like messages and friends. You maybe having problems with yours?*

It also doesn't "defeats" the purpose.
For my solution to work you only need 1 gold acct, any other acct can be silver. If that silver (wifes) acct. Wants to use smartglass and browse and use gold features-minus online play, all that is needed is for both of your profiles be logged in. She doesn't need gold, she will be controlling yours if yours is signed in.

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
SO maybe I am confused, how do I log a second acct. I have you turn on two controllers?? If so what is the point of smartglass. If I have to turn on two controllers everytime my wife wants to use her smart glass.............................

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, you only need two controllers to log in two profiles, you can cut yours off after its logged in. Once you start up your 360 and it signs you in, just cut on the second controller, press the Xbox button and go to sign in, and sign in her profile.

Also, how would smartglass work without an acct attached to it? Remember, it pulls info relevant to the acct. So a signed in acct. is needed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs