SMS Restore on 10581

markk132

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Because it's not a fix that was posted. You have 2 different issues :
a) migrate your old messages to the new standard
b) restore them.

The "fix" only forces the restoration to start. It already worked in WP8.1.

But some of us had issues to get our "old" messages on builds >=10572. The only way I found to do that (and you can't reproduce that on a 950) was to : flash back to 8.1, let all messages be restored, upgrade to latest build, enable SMS backup and let the system "migrate" the old SMS to the new system.

Since then I have no issues : 640, 535 have been upgraded to 10586, hard reset, and ALL my messages, from 2013, have come back in less than 20 minutes.

That being said, new messages received on these W10M devices sync between W10M devices, but nothing on my 1020 running 8.1

"...enable SMS backup and let the system "migrate" the old SMS to the new system..."

can you explain this step. i'm going to try this whole method, just flashed back to 8.1 and waiting for all the messages to come through, dating back to September 2013 lol. so once they're all in, I upgrade to 10586 and all my messages should then be there. I then go into messaging settings, and sms backup won't already be enabled? I mean it should be I think. lets say it isn't, I enable it, and how long should I wait for this migration?? does it give me an indicator of migration occurring? thanks in advance!

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Yo got it right and unfortunately, you won't have an indicator of "migration". Migration is my own theory, I'm only guessing that's what happening under the hood.

Actually, I've now received my new 950. SMS restore is awfully slow. I only got a couple of messages since Thursday.

Even on my 535 (which was already on 10586 but was turned off for a week), it takes a long time to retrieve the new messages.

I wonder if their servers are correctly sized lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs