SMS Sync and/or send-receive in Messaging app?

Alex Dean

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm a little confused as to whether we can use the Messaging app in W10 desktop to send SMS via our Windows Phones. Is this actually the case? Because if it is, my messages are not syncing across devices and my Messaging app only gives me the option to send messages via Skype, which is annoying since a few people I know don't have W10 mobile yet and/or have devices from competing companies. Any assistance?

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
As of now, this feature does not work, nor has it been officially been announced, for that matter. They have been rather vague about what they've called "universal messaging", but at no point have they promised that the messaging app will allow you to send SMS messages.

That being said, some people seem to think that it is coming, and I happen to be one of them. Cortana will send SMS messages for you right now, if you also have a Windows Phone running Windows 10 Mobile or an Android device running the beta version of Cortana for Android. Some people have reported that their phone SMS messaging history has appeared in either their W10 messaging app or on Skype Online, if only briefly. Perhaps MS was doing a phased rollout that stopped suddenly, or maybe it was just a temporary bug. But, it does seem like they're working towards that goal.

I really want this feature, and I'm holding onto hope that the current version of Windows 10 and messaging apps will support it, and when Microsoft is ready they'll flip the switch on the backend services that will allow it to work.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
when I first opened the messaging app on Windows 10 desktop my SMS history appeared. But only for a moment. And then never again.
I hope it will come someday. I'm sure of it. I think it will here with Redstone (at the latest)

Roland Stoll

May 2, 2014
Visit site
just to clarify:
- SMS Sync: not available
- sending SMS from PC through mobile phone: available, just enter "text" in Cortana, not part of the message app! *
- get notification for missed calls: available *
- Skype via message app: available *

* since November 2015 Update; has to be activated in Cortana settings; same MS account on both devices

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
just to clarify:
- SMS Sync: not available
- sending SMS from PC through mobile phone: available, just enter "text" in Cortana, not part of the message app! *
- get notification for missed calls: available *
- Skype via message app: available *

* since November 2015 Update; has to be activated in Cortana settings; same MS account on both devices

just to clarify: I don't have access to Cortana - whether on desktop nor on my phone (I live outside the US). Despite that I briefly saw my SMS history on in the desktop messaging app

mgrowan

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, this is odd. It worked for a couple of months now doesn't. I get a notification from Windows phone in the Windows 10 Action Center and can reply. I can text from Cortana on Windows 10. But why can't I see history and message from the app?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa