SMS/text messages syncing with Windows 10 desktop Messaging app

xxhonkeyxx

Aug 30, 2009
Visit site
Did we receive any word whether it would be possible for users to sync SMS messages across not only phones but computers as well? It would be very convenient for me if I could respond to someone who messaged me from my computer rather than my phone when I'm at home or doing work.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
there's a drop down list saying "text using skype". Am I right in thinking that you can switch that to SMS?

Last edited:

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
They need to add SMS and phone calls as cross-device experiences. BOOM. Now that would be something to differentiate Windows phone. The stuff they showed makes a case for "better on Windows", but phone and SMS integration would actually be an " ONLY on Windows" experience.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
It 's nice to see microsoft is bringing back the messagaging app. It was pulled from windows 8 after the 8.1 update. Probably because not enough people were using it. I'm curious to see what happens with messaging.

I'm not sure if microsoft can pull off adding sms. Whatsapp is already trying a web based app. There are issues with online phone authentication and security etc. Technically I could imagine that it could be done easily, but I think microsoft is going to run into a lot of regulatory issues with carriers and countries. Makes me wonder how Apple pulled this off.

A more bigger concern for me in skype. It's a great service, but in my surroundings skype has lost traction and popularity over whatsapp. I hardly know anyone in my private world that uses skype video or calling, private or businesss. skype may have a global significant userbase, but I think it is a huge omission to leave out huge platforms like facebook chat/messaging and whatsapp out of the equation. I think that if microsoft could at least try adding those, the messaging app could be productive and cool on a global scale. I seriously hope microsoft would consider this. This was also the issue with messaging and userbase with the app in windows 8.0. I hope they learned from that. Skype alone will just not cut it. Too many will still be left out of the conversation. With messaging and communication it is my belief not to bet on a single platform, but proactively combine social platforms into one messaging platform. Messaging apps should not be a battle of the platform OS battles, it should cross platforms. Only then will it be truly useful, fun and productive.

B Hammer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Skype already has a feature to allow you to send SMS. I believe what you are seeing in the images posted above is this very feature. It was mentioned that Windows 10 will sync with the SMS on your phone, but that won't be in the latest Build. Microsoft does have a plan to integrate it, but we will have to wait and see.

mpjones

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
They must do this, if I cannot send a sms from my tablet to a phone via my phone they have missed a trick.
All Apple make you do is make sure your devices are logged in with the same Apple Id, click pair and enter the auth code displayed on the phone.

Also yes later, if they could integrate the basic messages from WhatApp into the new Skype App then great, but I doubt its possible as WhatsApp and Facebook messager are heavily based around groups and I doubt they will create an Api for that.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Don't get your hopes up though. Since that last mockup screenshot from Skype blog there is no word about it. Either they won't make it on time or simply discarded it.

sleerf

May 29, 2015
Visit site
This is the only thing preventing me from moving to a windows phone. I use MightyText on my Android for at least 3/4 of my texting. I just can't stand typing on a touch screen and voice is neither reliable enough and isn't always practical. If they do it, I will move. If not, I'll stay where I am....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo