So, I bought a Chinese knock off of the Surface Pro 4. Questions/Advice...

Internaut

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Mods, feel free to move this to somewhere more appropriate. I've put it here because some of the advice I'm looking for is of a general nature.

So, I've purchased the Teclast X5 Pro. Think the Core M version of the Surface 4, slightly better processor (I think - Keby Lake as opposed to Sky Lake), double the RAM, double the weight and you have a picture of what I've bought. First impressions:

- Surprisingly, the language is English, not Chinese.
- And I was able set the language to British English (yay, Potato).
- But there's a little bit of Chinese in there. For example, I'm sure that's the Chinese for volume, next to the volume slider in the system tray.
- After a couple of missteps and three rounds with the update troubleshooter, it now updates properly.
- Touch display wasn't recognised after an update (but a reboot fixed this).

So, my usage:

- Bit of hacking about (hence the cheap device).
- Bit of Photoshop and Lightroom.
- Bit of experimenting of Linux virtual machines, using Oracle Virtualbox.

Questions:

1. Should Windows 10 Home be good enough for all of the above?
2. Am I safe to upgrade to Windows Pro via the Windows store, bearing in mind I have what may well have started life as Chinese Windows 10?
3. Or should I install from scratch?

I have created a Windows 10 install USB via the Media Creation tool, and successfully booted from it via the advanced re-start menu. At that point my BT keyboard, mouse, and the touch screen weren't recognised (well Duh!!!).... Will a normal USB keyboard, mouse or both do the trick here?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintchip