So is this true "Windows Phone is dead"?

froi francisco

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by badMojo69
If this quote is true it seems pretty much a done deal "Microsoft added that they will not pursue the smartphone market any longer as they don’t see any potential of making it big. "

http://nseavoice.com/tech/microsoft-surface-phone-hits-the-can-its-not-happening-920021657.html

But is it that they are not basically saying "phone". Its mobile device. I see it as Microsoft will unveil a new device with full windows 10 (ARM based?), which has cellular/data connectivity, works as a phone and happens to be "mobile". Small enough to carry around. But powerful enough, not to act, but to be your real computer! A new device. Not a phone.

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
We are going to have to be patient and see for ourselves. It was not too long ago when the Surface book was a rumor and it too was described as something "not really a notebook but something different". Now you see that it is and yet it still fills the notebook role too.

So that becomes the question, will the mystery device give the millions of users of current but old devices something to go "to" or will it usher in something new that doesn't fit phone type use? If you are happy with a current device then probably stay with that and wait and see. The 835 chipset (and the dozens of devices that are supposed to use it) isn't ready for the masses and thus the devices are not here. And yes MS is quite secretive about Surface products but they always do that. Even if they have a device concept in mind they couldn't put it to market until the hardware allows.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully, as Microsoft has done with the Surface Book and the Surface Studio, they will announce something, both truly special and innovative, for phones, one day.

Andre o Botelho

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Is Windows Phone dead?

I've received this message from Windows Dev center:

Notes To Developer
Your app emulates a game system. Windows Store added new Gaming policies, and no longer accepts these apps for publication. Please consider submitting a new Universal Windows Platform game to the Store.

The games on windows store are old or inexistent compared to other app stores, now they are cutting emulators too, is there any live resting on Windows Phone?
Some time ago i've seen a lot of "games" that are in reality emulators packaged with roms (whats is illegal) but they were published without problem, someone had noticed any changes on windows store?

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is Windows Phone dead?

I think what's going on is this...

Over the past year or so, Microsoft has been really flirting with gamers and the gaming community. They've been heavily promoting Xbox and gaming on Windows 10, as well. Although most emulators I've played pretty much only play really old games, some of those game makers are still around making current games. I think Microsoft is just playing nice with them so that they will play along with MS's vision of gaming on W10.

nasznjoka

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site

No Microsoft is really stopping all game emulators in the store.... The news is here on WC just search for that title... On the other hand yes windows phone is dead... Dead like Jim..... Everyone is now fleeing to AC...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

The emulator situation is a somewhat unrelated store change.

However, Windows Phone is not healthy.

It wasn't put down quickly and mostly decisively like HP webOS. It's not clearly being wound down of life support like BlackBerry 10, but it's in a sort of suspended animation. Development continues, but it is largely maintenance and small features, nothing like the pushes forward with WP7.5 and 8.1.
Is it dead? No.
Is it dying? A slow descent of neglect, yes, but as hardware and some apps kind of crumble, core functionality will remain.
Should I jump ship? If you can afford to and W10M no longer meets your needs.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

I owned nothing but Windows phones for three years but about 6 months ago I finally realized it was a hopeless cause and switched to Android. At one time they had between 5 and10% of the market now its so small you cant even measure it.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Windows Phone 10 is dead - the future is Mobile

I've been wondering how all this phone stuff will shake out as I use my Windows Mobile X3 on the latest Insider Build. I know I’m part of the 0.3% and am not really worried. I was thinking as I bought the X3 that the mobile phone as we knew it was on its way out. Already I’m writing this using a keyboard and 24” monitor attached to my "mobile PC".

20170504_161705_resized.jpg

Saw two articles today. First was one on the future of “phones” which may just be HoloLens or something like that. My older son already plays with VR with his LG V20 and his Galaxy Note 7 before that.

The second article shows some telling comments from Nadella himself.

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella and Alex Kipman on Windows phones - Business Insider

Think about it. I can use a R Pi to create any kind of IoT device and use my son’s 3D printers to form a shell I want using open source software to design it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb