So, what happens to us WP7 members that just signed contracts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I understand the need to dump wp7 and move on to wp8 in the microsoft world, but if apple can put ios4 on their 3g-4 phones I think MS should have found a way to neuter WP8 so all could have it. Just because its written for dual core does not mean it would not work on single core. It will be slower yes but should not be as bad as my 3g with 4.1xxx on it. That was just a original iphone with 3g cell. So putting an OS that was 2 generations newer on it was sketchy. More so since it was so weak hardware wise. My Titan should be able to run WP8 without much problem as I suspect some Single core variants of WP will come out.

Ask any iPhone 3gs owner about that and they'll tell you iOS 4 broke their phone.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the Optimus 7 was never made with WP7.5 in mind.

The back of the box boldly proclaim "1500 GREAT BATTERY LIFE!" and it had an amazing battery in Nodo. I could surf the web for hours and on normal casual use I could 2 whole days.

On Mango I can surf for 2 hours and the phone goes dead.

Strange. My battery got better with Mango, and really good with Tango. Only about 25% more surfing time but roughly a 150% improvement in standby time!

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Strange. My battery got better with Mango, and really good with Tango. Only about 25% more surfing time but roughly a 150% improvement in standby time!

Mmm I had two Optimus 7 so far and both have awful battery life =(. The stanby is pretty good, is when I try to use the web.

Also my carrier is just arse, maybe it waste battery trying to connect to 3G a dozen times.

tayfelix

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Mmm I had two Optimus 7 so far and both have awful battery life =(. The stanby is pretty good, is when I try to use the web.

Also my carrier is just arse, maybe it waste battery trying to connect to 3G a dozen times.

Did u charge so many time when the Battery have not discharge fully?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I wanna know what happens to me when, after six months or so after purchasing my Lumia 920, Nokia release something better. . .

Again, to be fair, there's a difference between a faster-spec phone being released later and what happened with the Lumia 900.

Imagine if, after buying a 920 in November, Microsoft announced in January that Windows Phone 8 development would end within three months with a change to the home screen and that Windows Phone 9 would require a whole new phone (and would run apps not compatible with WP8 on your 920).

That's closer to what irked 900 owners are thinking. I sorta feel guilty about it, since I recommended a LOT of 900s and Titan IIs on AT&T to people, several of whom feel a bit miffed (including partly at me). It makes me hesitate before recommending WP now.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think this is exactly their complaint. Sorta mine too, but I'm over it. Seems like were're speeding towards fragmentation. Again, I don't care about that either. I think people want MS to give them a warm fuzzy about future phones and updates.
Again, to be fair, there's a difference between a faster-spec phone being released later and what happened with the Lumia 900.

Imagine if, after buying a 920 in November, Microsoft announced in January that Windows Phone 8 development would end within three months with a change to the home screen and that Windows Phone 9 would require a whole new phone (and would run apps not compatible with WP8 on your 920).

That's closer to what irked 900 owners are thinking. I sorta feel guilty about it, since I recommended a LOT of 900s and Titan IIs on AT&T to people, several of whom feel a bit miffed (including partly at me). It makes me hesitate before recommending WP now.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

I understand you're upset with current WP's not being upgraded to WP8, but all your hypotheticals, i.e., what-if scenarios, are getting a little ridiculous.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Ask any iPhone 3gs owner about that and they'll tell you iOS 4 broke their phone.

3gs or 3G? 3gs worked pretty well with ios4 and I thought it could accept all the 4.xxxx updates. 3G was stuck on 4.1.x and could never go back either. That is what pissed people like me off.

I understand you're upset with current WP's not being upgraded to WP8, but all your hypotheticals, i.e., what-if scenarios, are getting a little ridiculous.

His 920 What-if is actually spot on to what happened. My Titan came out a couple months after the 4s. I have had 0 updates. 4s was just updated to ios6 with no reduced capability compared to the ip5. My phone will not get an update. Apple claims the iphone5 cpu is twice as fast as the 4s. Amazing that they can still put ios6 on their slower devices but WP can not. Even though WP was always complimented for its ability to work smoothly on outdated hardware. Hopefully wp8 devices will get wp9 updates.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Thats awesome, may have to unlock my $0.01 Titan. Not like I have to worry about not getting updates due to the unlock. Have gotten none anyway.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
....His 920 What-if is actually spot on to what happened. My Titan came out a couple months after the 4s. I have had 0 updates. 4s was just updated to ios6 with no reduced capability compared to the ip5. My phone will not get an update. Apple claims the iphone5 cpu is twice as fast as the 4s. Amazing that they can still put ios6 on their slower devices but WP can not. Even though WP was always complimented for its ability to work smoothly on outdated hardware. Hopefully wp8 devices will get wp9 updates.

So you're not getting the 7.8 update on the Titan? Is that being held back by HTC or AT&T?

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Now, I'm not going to pretend that I know every conversation that goes on in a phone store, but I'm pretty sure hardly anyone asks, "It's a nice phone, but can you assure me of software updates in the future?"

People who are interested in such things do their due diligence and research the device until the purchase is made.

Others are only interested in what the devices can do now.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Now, I'm not going to pretend that I know every conversation that goes on in a phone store, but I'm pretty sure hardly anyone asks, "It's a nice phone, but can you assure me of software updates in the future?"

People who are interested in such things do their due diligence and research the device until the purchase is made.

Others are only interested in what the devices can do now.

You can't be so sure. At the same time, a user would probably assume that the carrier or OEM would keep them up to date as they should. So when their friends have a function they should have but they don't, it might draw a few questions. Might not. I don't see how ppl can act like what Nokia did was absolutely right.

Sent from my beast of a device.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
To the op the question is a good one. You know what those people are going to say to other perspective buyers is they got burned in like having a cheap android. I won't doubt it or blame them for saying don't buy a windows phone. Microsoft better hope they get a new batch of early adopters because the first batch probably won't be buying much. I hate to say it like that but MS for some reason just loves to wound itself a great deal. And this not releasing a full WP8 SDK that's just dum this close to launch.:mad:

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
As far as I can tel the first Gen early adopters upgraded to androids and iPhones. The second Gen adopters are highly pissed off on being burned not less the 60 days after getting lumias. My wife was a second Gen adopter and the hate she has for MS & Nokia is unreal. Unless Your company has a cult, consumers remember getting burned. LG is a prime example of that.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I got my Lumia on april 16 and can't wait to upgrade. Either get a job so you can buy new phones when they come out, make sure you buy what you want in the first place so you aren't crying after an upgrade comes out later or do some bloody research before you buy a device in the first place. Unless you're 5 years old none of this whining makes sense.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
You can't be so sure. At the same time, a user would probably assume that the carrier or OEM would keep them up to date as they should. So when their friends have a function they should have but they don't, it might draw a few questions. Might not. I don't see how ppl can act like what Nokia did was absolutely right.

Sent from my beast of a device.

Up to date in terms of what? As an average consumer, I'd expect my device to be bug free and if it's not, they need to push updates to make it so. I don't expect to be upgraded for free. I got my 800 knowing full well I'd not be eligible for an upgrade to WP8 - c'est la vie. There is a difference between "update" and "upgrade".

Now then, if the purchaser was led to believe that his 900 would be in the WP8 pool, then that's a different story. That would be very bad.

I'd like to know out of curiosity how many 900 buyers even knew there would be a WP8 on the horizon at the time of their purchase.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I got my Lumia on april 16 and can't wait to upgrade. Either get a job so you can buy new phones when they come out, make sure you buy what you want in the first place so you aren't crying after an upgrade comes out later or do some bloody research before you buy a device in the first place. Unless you're 5 years old none of this whining makes sense.

Wrong people did the research no one said a phone.....flagship by the way was going to be eol'ed in two months. I see poster like you seem to like riding on the applese high horse protecting a platform like it pays you. Keep your derogatory statements out of discussions child, let the grown folks finish talking then you can go play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124