so who's going to pay the $99 to get mango early.

jtn05

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
If the rumors are true and mango is realsed to devolopers in a month or so, are any of you guys going to pay the $99 developer fee to get it early?

FearThyWrath

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I would think a focus or hd7 dev unlocked would get mango too...why would they screw over that many devs?

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
You would have to drop a little more cash on a Dev Unlocked phone too wouldn't you?

No, you can unlock any phone. I purchased my Surround on launch day (11/8/10) and in March got fed up with live tile issues so I purchased a 1 year developer license for $99. You need Vista or Win7 to download developer tools. After installing the tools you can unlocked up to three devices by simply plugging them in and running the unlock tool, which installs the unlock certificate on your device till the next hard reset. So if you have a couple friends or family members, only $33 each.

I was not looking to pirate apps. I have only installed TouchXplorer, RegEditor and Advanced Config Tool. It has given me the ability figure out what's wrong with live tiles (getting very close) and fix mine, load some ringtones and change a couple accent colors. Well worth it for me.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Btw, I have exchanged emails with at least 50 developers, many who have live tile apps, and none of them have developer devices. Mostly Focuses and an assortment of other devices.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I was tempted by the dehydration hack, but decided to hold off because there's not yet a way to switch between apps. But when Mango gets released for devs, I'll certainly drop the cash.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to be patient enough to wait. Mango looks awesome and I can't wait for all the new features, but at the same time I don't need a developer unlocked phone.

Ivan006

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to be patient enough to wait. Mango looks awesome and I can't wait for all the new features, but at the same time I don't need a developer unlocked phone.

I totally agree GaMMa. If I wanted an unlocked phone, I'd get a Nokia phone. ;) I'll wait it out, cause I'm sure my phone will work fine until the fall release.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
an interesting idea to be sure but... the budget's a bit tight these days so, i think i'll sit and wait (impatiently) for the formal release of mango (but, if it gets delayed...).

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I would be surprised if Mango will be available to developers for device flash. They probably mean Mango will be available in the VS.NET emulator when you install the Windows Phone Development Tools.

Michael.

Spyral

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I have a developer account that I got through Dreamspark. It's free if you have access to a University email account.

I wonder if the early access to Mango will be an update, or will require a fresh install?

That brings up a valid question: Would you device wipe just to get Mango early?

I would depending upon: A. How finalized the early access verion of Mango is, and B. How early is 'early'?

Goodeye

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering it, but that's because I am already learning C# anyways and I want to make some apps for WP7, getting Mango a bit early might seal the deal for me.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if the early access to Mango will be an update, or will require a fresh install?

That brings up a valid question: Would you device wipe just to get Mango early'?
Yes. Resetting sucks, but if you are properly prepared its not so bad. Depending on how many apps you have and logins/settings you need to reload, will take 2-6 hours to get back to where you were. But its all just laborious work. Nothing scary.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
I actually think the LG developer device looks better than the LG Quantum (the front part anyway; I think I'd like the Quantum's keyboard more). So, if I didn't have a care in the world, I might for that. Since I do, I'm still enjoying my phone, so waiting is no big thing.

Spyral

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Resetting sucks, but if you are properly prepared its not so bad. Depending on how many apps you have and logins/settings you need to reload, will take 2-6 hours to get back to where you were. But its all just laborious work. Nothing scary.

My previous device was a Palm Pre that had a tendency to break every 3 months. I learned quickly how to 'live in the cloud' to prevent unnecessary data loss.

The only thing I can't back up yet are game saves.

furygoalbrtis39

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My previous device was a Palm Pre that had a tendency to break every 3 months. I learned quickly how to 'live in the cloud' to prevent unnecessary data loss.

The only thing I can't back up yet are game saves.
Same thing happened with my palm pre, I hated that phone, but the cloud was a good feature.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb