So who's leaving their Titan for the Lumia 900?

Zaisaroni

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Another reason to leave the Titan is that it will be an end of life device once the Titan 2 is released on April 8th. Also the Lumia 900 will be $449 off contract price. I'm ging to get it off contract because $449 really isn't that much plus I have a long way to go for an upgrade.

I don't find EOL at the carrier to be a problem. Microsoft and OEMs have been supporting devices no longer on sale, even if AT&T doesn't release them at every version, its relatively easy to force the update.

The Titan 1 and Lumia 900 are both top tier 2nd gen WP devices, and both have more than one reason to chose over the other. Personally I was all about getting the Lumia 900, until I got smoked by WP this weekend and got a Titan for free. There's not enough to gain by going from T1 to 900 for me, if im getting into a contract and spending some money on a device, it will be for a larger hardware and experience bump. I'm waiting on the flagship Nokia Apollo device, or maybe even pure view.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I just pre ordered my Lumia 900 yesterday. I bought it at full price and free FedEx overnight shipping was included. Probably the major reason why im moving away from the Titan is to increase my data cap to 5gb since its an LTE device. A few days ago I got my first throttle warning from AT&T and there's no way I can get by with 3gb a month.

Last edited:

noirsoft

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I am having some buyer's reporse with my Titan, specifically related to bluetooth music sometimes forgetting that it was playing in the car if I use my phone for something else when outside of the car (a problem which my 1st gen LG Quantum never had) having to then manually play on the phone to get the music going again, and that causing song info to not be transmitted to the car console.

Haven't had problems with voice (other than my apartment not having great AT&T coverage) but I am considering getting a 900, but will probably want to test-drive it in a store beforehand.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I actually had a hard time convincing a colleague to go with the Lumia, she envied my titan but I told her the screen is noticeable in clarity. I think it means the titan II will still sell well as an alternative for people that just want big.

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
A few things had weighed on my decision, but I finally decided to take the plunge and pre-order the Lumia. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy my Titan and plan on keeping it around, but given the lack of AT&Ts direction of pushing/not pushing updates out to their current WP devices has me concerned. HTC/Samsung should really push for updates quicker - especially when there are bug fixes that have hindered user experience (keyboard issue).

Nokia seems to have a strong choke-hold on global carriers at the moment when it comes to their updates, or at least that's my perception. Not to mention their full dedication to WP, unlike HTC/Samsung who are in Androids grasp.

I think the biggest concern I have at the moment is the screen size. Granted, it's only a .4" difference between Titan and the Lumia 900, I just wonder how that will translate in to experience for me. I guess I'll find out around the 6th.

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I actually had a hard time convincing a colleague to go with the Lumia, she envied my titan but I told her the screen is noticeable in clarity. I think it means the titan II will still sell well as an alternative for people that just want big.

I'd tell her to just wait, and try both out at the store :3 However, with that $100 rebate on the Lumia, making it $200 (and tax difference will be around $15 - $20 if ordered from the ATT site) less expensive than the Titan II, it is very, very tempting to go to Nokia without a second thought.

The Nokia apps are the selling point for me, even if I have Nokia Drive 2.0, and the latest version of Nokia Maps on my Titan.

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
A few things had weighed on my decision, but I finally decided to take the plunge and pre-order the Lumia. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy my Titan and plan on keeping it around, but given the lack of AT&Ts direction of pushing/not pushing updates out to their current WP devices has me concerned. HTC/Samsung should really push for updates quicker - especially when there are bug fixes that have hindered user experience (keyboard issue).

Nokia seems to have a strong choke-hold on global carriers at the moment when it comes to their updates, or at least that's my perception. Not to mention their full dedication to WP, unlike HTC/Samsung who are in Androids grasp.

I think the biggest concern I have at the moment is the screen size. Granted, it's only a .4" difference between Titan and the Lumia 900, I just wonder how that will translate in to experience for me. I guess I'll find out around the 6th.

Well, ATT's updates mentality has been explained as a "bigger/more updates all at once". I am not saying that they are right in doing so, but that's how it is.

I love the Titan's screen. I'd ask how the screen reduction feels, but I think it will be different for each person, and I'll just have to go and see for myself. Well, not like it matters since I am not due for an upgrade until July 13, 2013 xD

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
well, I've just had sort of a "wait a minute" moment here.

The Lumia and my Titan weigh the same. The Titan is just slightly taller than the Lumia....yet the Lumia only has a 4.3" screen to my 4.7" It got me to thinking that either a) the Lumia should be smaller or b) they made this chassis so they could easily fit a 4.5" in it later. If the latter, then I feel like I'm getting a little ripped off, considering that the Focus S really maxes out its dimensions with the 4.5 and weighing almost an ounce lighter. Sadly Samsung's industrial design is about 2 years behind Nokia's.

Supposedly the Titan II will have a plastic back, so it will weigh lighter I assume than the Titan. Plus you get the almost edge to edge screen, 16MP, and LTE.

The Nokia exclusive apps are nice, and I can be assured WP7 is Nokias main priority compared to the other ODMs....but on just a device comparison the 900 isn't a complete knock out of the park.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
well, I've just had sort of a "wait a minute" moment here.

The Lumia and my Titan weigh the same. The Titan is just slightly taller than the Lumia....yet the Lumia only has a 4.3" screen to my 4.7" It got me to thinking that either a) the Lumia should be smaller or b) they made this chassis so they could easily fit a 4.5" in it later. If the latter, then I feel like I'm getting a little ripped off, considering that the Focus S really maxes out its dimensions with the 4.5 and weighing almost an ounce lighter. Sadly Samsung's industrial design is about 2 years behind Nokia's.

Supposedly the Titan II will have a plastic back, so it will weigh lighter I assume than the Titan. Plus you get the almost edge to edge screen, 16MP, and LTE.

The Nokia exclusive apps are nice, and I can be assured WP7 is Nokias main priority compared to the other ODMs....but on just a device comparison the 900 isn't a complete knock out of the park.

Thats your opinion but all the reviews out of at MWC say different. We hardly even heard the Titan 2 mentioned anywhere. Even on this site the headlines all go to the Lumia 900.

jawesome

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the original Titan now and it's a great device but I definitely think I will selling it on craigslist and picking up one of the newer devices coming out. I definitely want a LTE phone... i'm disappointed that this "4G" Titan's speed is throttled so a speed increase would be great.

I think I'm leaning more towards the Titan II over the Lumia 900 though. In the looks department, the 900 wins as the much sexier device. But after using the Titan for over four months I don't think I could ever go back to a smaller screen. I could probably go bigger though. The 900's ClearBlack display is definitely enticing but size just may be more important. My Titan's screen is good enough (coming from the Focus) and I actually prefer it over the Focus S'.

The TII's processor is just slightly faster (even though it won't be noticeable to most).

Everyone says that Nokia's camera will be a million times better than the Titan II's just because of the Carl Zeiss name but I wouldn't be surprised if the TII's is just as good or better. HTC has stepped up their cameras and all the indoor shots I've seen 900 so far look really bad.

The 900's battery will no doubt be better. Unless it's a very significant difference I don't this alone will be enough to sway me towards it.

Another reason people are interested in the 900 is Nokia's exclusive apps, but this does not matter at all to me. Those Nokia apps are out there for anyone with an unlocked device to install. I have them on my Titan and Focus.

And this brings us to the last (and possibly most important) thing: homebrew. Right now HTC has a lot more homebrew support than Nokia phones. Neither the second generation HTC's or the Nokia devices are interop unlocked yet though. If I knew I could install a custom ROM on one but not the either, I just may need to go with that one. The 900 is getting a lot of hype though so hopefully that will bring lot attention to it from hackers.

I think the only reason the 900 is getting the attention it has is because:
1 - Sexiness of the device. This is undeniable.
2 - Huge marketing push from Nokia, AT&T, and Microsoft. If you see a device everywhere, you'll start falling into the hype.
3 - Exclusive apps. Important to some, but not to me. Still available to those with an unlocked device.

The only reason the Titan II doesn't have any hype because neither HTC, AT&T, or Microsoft is pushing it. Based on specs alone (when compared to other Windows Phones) it is at the very top of the heap.

I won't make a decision until both devices are launched and full comparisons between the two are out. I'm extremely curious about camera samples and battery life. The camera performance will probably be the dealbreaker for me.

Also the Nokia 900 is cheaper, but I'm willing to spend $100 for a better device.

Oh and to the person a couple posts above me, the Focus S' screen is only 4.3".

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
part of that is because HTC isn't dedicated to Windows Phone and is still operating like 2010...putting little money behind WP7 devices. I think the low PPI turns a lot of people off from the Titan too. It did me at first but I adjusted to it. I do recall reading reviews that said the camera quality of the Titan was better than the 800, but I find that hard to believe because I think even my Focus made better pictures than the Titan. If HTC would use the entire sensor I think they'd produce some stunning camera shots.

jawesome

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
part of that is because HTC isn't dedicated to Windows Phone and is still operating like 2010...putting little money behind WP7 devices. I think the low PPI turns a lot of people off from the Titan too. It did me at first but I adjusted to it. I do recall reading reviews that said the camera quality of the Titan was better than the 800, but I find that hard to believe because I think even my Focus made better pictures than the Titan. If HTC would use the entire sensor I think they'd produce some stunning camera shots.
My Titan's camera is no doubt superior to my Focus'. Plus I love that it has panoramic and burst modes which Samsung does not. You can say HTC isn't committed to WP but they released two high end devices within 5 months of each other. Where is Samsung's LTE device? The Focus S I had was an extremely disappointing device. HTC has taken risks with their Windows Phone offerings such as a sliding speaker (dumb in my opinion but yeah), 4.7" screens, and a 16mp camera. There is no stand out feature on any of Samsung's devices.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
i must have had a bad camera, oh well returned that unit...but at the time my Focus camera was better. Not defneding Samsung in any way, I think their hand me down designs from Android suck.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I might do it. I'm tired of not having MMS on my Titan because I'm on Straight Talk and there's no way for me to manually change my MMS settings. I read in another thread that Nokia has a Network Setup app that let's you add your own custom APN and MMS settings, whereas HTC's only let's you choose from their pre-defined list.

I'll get improved reception and call quality, and the 900 is really sexy. :p

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
i must have had a bad camera, oh well returned that unit...but at the time my Focus camera was better. Not defneding Samsung in any way, I think their hand me down designs from Android suck.

I wonder if it's because you may have had the White Balance on Auto. I've noticed that for indoor shots with fluorescent bulbs, it's best to manually set them.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I might do it. I'm tired of not having MMS on my Titan because I'm on Straight Talk and there's no way for me to manually change my MMS settings. I read in another thread that Nokia has a Network Setup app that let's you add your own custom APN and MMS settings, whereas HTC's only let's you choose from their pre-defined list.

I'll get improved reception and call quality, and the 900 is really sexy. :p

well if you have time I'd wait. HTC is calling me in the next day or so to work through this issue. I may be a beta tester for ST profile in that app. Keep in mind they support Simple Mobile which is an MVNO as well.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
well if you have time I'd wait. HTC is calling me in the next day or so to work through this issue. I may be a beta tester for ST profile in that app. Keep in mind they support Simple Mobile which is an MVNO as well.

Really? Wow, and all I ever got from them is a we will forward this to the proper department. Lol, HTC must not like me.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
well they still have to call, which they have not yet. Since the email said they would I'll follow up ince the 72 hours passes.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I pre-ordered the Lumia to switch from my Titan which was my first WP7 device (longtime webOS fan...)

Here are the reasons:

1: Screen glitch: Several times a day I would be unable to use the screen on the Titan or it would think I was holding a tile down and I'd have to lock and unlock the device. Dealbreaker? no, but very annoying. I'm hoping this was a Titan problem and not a WP7 problem.

2: Sex appeal: I love the way the 900 looks, and I like the fact that it is something different than a big piece of glass

3: Support: I feel as if Nokia will be a lot quicker to support the Lumia than HTC will be to support the Titan

4: LTE

5: Put my wallet where my mouth is: I like that Nokia is going all in on WP7 and although I'm just one customer I take pride in buying products from companies that make my priorities their priority!

My biggest concerns:

1: I love the camera on the Titan, the pictures and videos are great. From what I've read the Lumia camera is not that great, I just hope it is close to the Titan

2: Screen size- I'm not too concerned about going to a smaller screen because I actually preferred my Veer to the Pre 3 and that screen was tiny!

3: Lock button on the side: I'm sure I'll be able to get used to this but I've spent the last 7 years with devices that have the lock button on the top, I hope it doesn't take too long for it to become habitual

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
hrm, I was not a fan of the side lock button on the Focus, love it on top now. A very minor detail though I wouldn't use to get or not get the Lumia.

I think people need to wait for the Titan II. 16mp and BSI it will take stunningly better photos than the Lumia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ProScout