Sold my Galaxy S5 and bought a Lumia 520...

skirush2014

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Hello all, I'm kind of new to the windows phone world and the lumia phones. I've had two in the past, a 520 and a 925. In May I got a Galaxy S5 with AT&T's "Next Program". The phone was pretty good. The screen was gorgeous, albeit a little too big. Funny thing is that I had a Galaxy Note 3 prior to the Galaxy S5. I sold the Note because it was too massive, and I actually thought the Galaxy was also too big. You can't have the best of both worlds I suppose (i.e., small form factor and a big screen).

One reason that I got rid of the Galaxy is that I thought the "special" features like the S-Health and HR monitor were pretty gimmicky and sometimes didn't even work. Don't get me wrong, the new galaxy was a great phone. I walked into the store one day, saw the gorgeous screen and "had to have it". But, after a while, the glitz wore off for me. Maybe, I'm nuts, but I bought and sold 6 phones since January of this year! I get bored maybe.

I know have a Lumia 520 as temp. phone. I updated it to 8.1 and I was really surprised they allowed this for such a cheap phone! I bought it for $49 at Radio Shack.

I think I'm going to miss having a decent quality camera and a flash. I also hate that the back, home, and search buttons do not light up...I forgot about how much I hated that until I bought it again. I'm probably going to be selling it again and buying a 925. I had a 920 before and was sad to see how dim the screen was in comparison to the screen on the 925.

One problem with the 925 was the battery. Perhaps it was the particular phone I had, but the battery was horrible. One minute it would read maybe 40% and the next it would be down to 15%. Anyone else have this issue?

Any other converts from Android to Windows? I must say, I was shocked by the clerk's response when I went to the At&T store to get the 520 activated. The way he looked at me and said, "Oh, you got a windows phone?!". It was like I walked in the store with the plague that would infect him. Why the hate?

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Welcome! honestly it sounds like the 830 or 730 will be perfect for you! Because they will definitely be below 4,7" while maintaining reasonable specs and good cameras :D

I'm using the 930 right now and it's awesome but probably too big for you :p

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Hello all, I'm kind of new to the windows phone world and the lumia phones. I've had two in the past, a 520 and a 925. In May I got a Galaxy S5 with AT&T's "Next Program". The phone was pretty good. The screen was gorgeous, albeit a little too big. Funny thing is that I had a Galaxy Note 3 prior to the Galaxy S5. I sold the Note because it was too massive, and I actually thought the Galaxy was also too big. You can't have the best of both worlds I suppose (i.e., small form factor and a big screen).

One reason that I got rid of the Galaxy is that I thought the "special" features like the S-Health and HR monitor were pretty gimmicky and sometimes didn't even work. Don't get me wrong, the new galaxy was a great phone. I walked into the store one day, saw the gorgeous screen and "had to have it". But, after a while, the glitz wore off for me. Maybe, I'm nuts, but I bought and sold 6 phones since January of this year! I get bored maybe.

I know have a Lumia 520 as temp. phone. I updated it to 8.1 and I was really surprised they allowed this for such a cheap phone! I bought it for $49 at Radio Shack.

I think I'm going to miss having a decent quality camera and a flash. I also hate that the back, home, and search buttons do not light up...I forgot about how much I hated that until I bought it again. I'm probably going to be selling it again and buying a 925. I had a 920 before and was sad to see how dim the screen was in comparison to the screen on the 925.

One problem with the 925 was the battery. Perhaps it was the particular phone I had, but the battery was horrible. One minute it would read maybe 40% and the next it would be down to 15%. Anyone else have this issue?

Any other converts from Android to Windows? I must say, I was shocked by the clerk's response when I went to the At&T store to get the 520 activated. The way he looked at me and said, "Oh, you got a windows phone?!". It was like I walked in the store with the plague that would infect him. Why the hate?
I think if you restart the phone it would solve the problem.

I converted from a galaxy y duos to a Lumia 620. Hated the endless force closes," xyz process has stopped working" and low battery life. Also Samsung left it on Android 2.3. I got annoyed at not having updates for a 10,000 ₹ phone. Exchanged for a Lumia 620 and never looked back. Best decision ever! :) Now looking forward to buy a high-end Lumia.

Last edited:

Tareq Mehyar

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I never held an android phone ,but the whole world around me are on android,,I can tell you its the best decision ever,the hate is a must,because you are holding a NOT a Samsung,or an iPhone,anyway haters gonna hate :D

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is such a subjective thing... BUT a drastic and sudden drop in percent indicates a potential problem. As S Vaibhav said, a reset might have helped that.

My 925 gives me good battery service for the capacity and I love how capable it is in the all around.

However, I think the new crop of phones is worth a look as well. The 925 is getting a bit long in the tooth, especially for someone who phone hops a lot for something flashier/newer...

s2mikey

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I never held an android phone ,but the whole world around me are on android,,I can tell you its the best decision ever,the hate is a must,because you are holding a NOT a Samsung,or an iPhone,anyway haters gonna hate :D

Agreed on the hate factor. We love our Nokia 520s and really like the way Windows mobile works. Android is bloated and obnoxious. Apple has a nice OS and i enjoy my ipad but iPhones are just too damned expensive to buy off contract. Screw that. The Lumia & Windows combo is a giant-killer in my opinion. :)

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
There are a few key features that my $20 Nokia dumb phone has and the iPhone doesn't-SD card slot, fm radio, file manager. Can't imagine how they missed this in a $700 phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)