Sold my Lumia 930 and bought a Nexus 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoeBoy

Banned
Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I have found that the 1020 was awesome in theory, but the processor and build quality killed it... I went through 4 brand new Lumia 1020's in this year alone... Never dropped or handled the wrong way.. Just plain bad build quality and poor hardware...1 of them had kicked the bucket after an official update...And I could not get anything but the runaround from Microsoft /Nokia... This is why I am switching...They do not seem to care about how they treat customers or what they release... The horror stories in the forums and social media is growing everyday along with more stories of people giving up and swithching

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You have a cite for that? I doubt it because it would be a clear breach of contract on the part of Nokia. In addition, since you support the "real Nokia" as you have repeatedly mentioned here on WP Central, you would essentially be supporting a company that defrauded a competitor by selling a pilfered asset to Microsoft. Since I don't think Microsoft's attorneys are so asleep at the switch to allow that to occur, I will assume you are full of it unless you provide some documentation.

1 - until a deal closes, a company is free to move employees from one place to another;

2 - the deal is to buy a division, not specific people. Therefore, there's no breach of contract if folks get moved around;

3 - "you would essentially be supporting a company that defrauded a competitor by selling a pilfered asset to Microsoft."
I support a company that had to deal with a mole that went there with the sole purpose of devaluing it and sell part of it dirt cheap to that competitor.

4 - The moves have been reported. Google it. At any rate, the information I have came from trusted sources within the company. But if you think I'll name them and get them into trouble, you're sorely mistaken.
If you don't believe me, that's fine. I couldn't care less ;)

Last edited:

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
1 - until a deal closes, a company is free to move employees from one place to another;

2 - the deal is to buy a division, not specific people. Therefore, there's no breach of contract if folks get moved around;

3 - "you would essentially be supporting a company that defrauded a competitor by selling a pilfered asset to Microsoft."
I support a company that has to deal with a mole that went there with the sole purpose of devaluing it and seek part of it dirt cheap to that competitor.

4 - The moves have been reported. Google it. At any rate, the information I have came from trusted sources within the company. But if you think I'll name them and get them into trouble, you're sorely mistaken.
If you don't believe me, that's fine. I couldn't care less ;)

As I suspected, no cites and an appeal to "insider information." All adds up to zero credibility. And I suspect that you do care, because you keep inferring that Nokia didn't sell any meaningful assets to Microsoft and will soon return with a vengeance as a mobile phone manufacturer. If you didn't care if people believed you, you wouldn't keep posting it again and again. If you have information, please share, but spare us the patronizing "I know things that you don't know."

As an aside, I recall the last time we discussed this issue, you were adamant that Microsoft purchased Nokia employees. As a matter of fact, you compared it to football teams buying and selling a player. Now you are saying "the deal is to buy a division, not specific people." Which is it?

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
As I suspected, no cites and an appeal to "insider information." All adds up to zero credibility. And I suspect that you do care, because you keep inferring that Nokia didn't sell any meaningful assets to Microsoft and will soon return with a vengeance as a mobile phone manufacturer. If you didn't care if people believed you, you wouldn't keep posting it again and again. If you have information, please share, but spare us the patronizing "I know things that you don't know."

As an aside, I recall the last time we discussed this issue, you were adamant that Microsoft purchased Nokia employees. As a matter of fact, you compared it to football teams buying and selling a player. Now you are saying "the deal is to buy a division, not specific people." Which is it?

1 - You don't seem to understand. I care about Nokia, what I don't care is if you believe me or not. I've shared what I can. They are hiring Android engineers, they are preparing hardware to be released to the consumer market, they are considering a return to mobile phones as a natural consequence of the work that's being done currently at their Technologies division. If I go into more specifics, I'll out the people who told me and that I won't do. Sorry. If you want, you believe me, if you don't want, you don't. I don't really care, I don't need your trust to be elected for office or anything alike ;)

2 - They "bought people" because they didn't buy any of the technology, patents or anything relevant. That's what I said and meant then, and I stick by it. Yes, they bought employees. However, they didn't buy singular employees.
They didn't say "I want Mr. Y and Mrs. K" and then Nokia moved Mr. Y and Mrs. K to another division. They said "we want that division" where Mr. Y ad Mrs. K happened to be. If they wanted specific people, they would have to have asked for them and made them offers. They didn't.
I also told you what they did was simply bulk buy employees instead of going through the trouble of opening recruitment processes etc.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
1 - You don't seem to understand. I care about Nokia, what I don't care is if you believe me or not. I've shared what I can. They are hiring Android engineers, they are preparing hardware to be released to the consumer market, they are considering a return to mobile phones as a natural consequence of the work that's being done currently at their Technologies division. If I go into more specifics, I'll out the people who told me and that I won't do. Sorry. If you want, you believe me, if you don't want, you don't. I don't really care, I don't need your trust to be elected for office or anything alike ;)

2 - They "bought people" because they didn't buy any of the technology, patents or anything relevant. That's what I said and meant then, and I stick by it. Yes, they bought employees. However, they didn't buy singular employees.
They didn't say "I want Mr. Y and Mrs. K" and then Nokia moved Mr. Y and Mrs. K to another division. They said "we want that division" where Mr. Y ad Mrs. K happened to be. If they wanted specific people, they would have to have asked for them and made them offers. They didn't.
I also told you what they did was simply bulk buy employees instead of going through the trouble of opening recruitment processes etc.

You originally said "[m]any talents of the D&S division were also moved there [to the Nokia Technologies division] before the closing of the deal with MS." The implication was that MS therefore did not properly secure the D&S talent, which Nokia was clever enough to retain through a pre-sale division transfer process. That scenario is absolutely inconsistent with the methods used to handle the purchase and sale of a corporate division during the due diligence period. First, the buyer always secures the asset during negotiations so that such pilfering cannot occur. That is commonly achieved by placing interim restrictions on the selling company, i.e., inventory and freezing of assets (including employees) and the use of non-compete covenants and other contractual mechanisms. MS can't control the employees--they can quit or seek transfer--but MS can, and certainly did, control Nokia's ability to dilute the asset pre-closing. Second, if any transfers were completed, it would have been because Microsoft deemed those employees to be non-essential. You are trying to make us believe that Elop and the MS attorneys either 1) didn't know who the talent was; or 2) negligently let the talent go; or 3) didn't care about what MS was actually buying. None of those scenarios is realistic.

If Nokia returns as a viable producer after the non-compete period expires, it will be due to its ability to rebuild post-sale, not by some covert ransacking of talent that they pulled off as part of the sale. If you want to name some of the D&S talents that were transferred to the Technologies division, I'm happy to look at that and reconsider your comments. However, if this remains an insider information argument, I'm sorry it just doesn't add up.

Last edited:

10curtains

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I have had a 920 since they hit the stores, actually I got mine from an AT&T store that had it the day before release and they foolishly sold me one.

I've been a WP8 ****** who now can't wait to see what new phones will be announced next month so I can jump ship. I won't go back to iOS, so it sort of leaves me in Android waters.

All the complaints from the OP I feel. For me, the best example is the Audible app. I listen to a LOT of audiobooks (my library is over 600 titles) and this app reflects what other apps have that cause WP8 to be a big failure in my book.
  1. Slow interface: Why it is that some apps take 10-15+ seconds just to display the next screen?
  2. Extreme CPU usage: Audible, even when you are not listening to a book, uses a crazy amount of CPU turning a WP8 into a space heater and killing your battery life. I've found this happens with other apps. In fact, the WPCentral app (in the past) has been its space heater generator.
  3. State loss: Want to return to an audiobook where you left off? Good luck. Audible randomly 'forgets' where you last were. Heck, sometimes the app will start playing in a random spot back in time. Audible isn't alone here, there are many apps where I might be using, go to answer a call or text, only to return and find my place has been lost.
  4. Non-existant: Alas, this is the biggest issue with WP8. Not many people care to develop for it. Here's a crazy thing, I'm a mobile app developer and I question if my company's time is worth developing for WP8. That's a problem when MS can't keep a ****** developer.

It goes beyond this though. There are new technologies springing up all over the place. As a developer, I see tons of opportunities with these, yet WP8 isn't close to being supported. It just isn't a platform that is taken seriously by the larger developer community.

And I have to echo the loss of Microsoft moving away from their great ideas. Hubs are/were awesome. They should have been actively developed, not dismantled. Music is worse than the old media hub and I honestly don't need a music, podcast, video, etc... individual suite of apps. I don't want a cluttered screen.

Why does MS constantly trash brilliant ideas?

Then live tiles. Another great idea in theory, works like **** in practice though. So many apps (including Microsoft ones) just don't update their tiles well. It's a common problem I read everywhere. The phone should be smart. If I am in a charger and in WiFi, update often. If I am on the road, update occasionally. Better yet, monitor my usage patterns and update before times I'm likely to check my phone (I always check my phone at lunch for example). But, heck, I'd settle for apps actually updating (which most seem not to unless you run the app).

Microsoft has had years to show the world how it's done. I feel like I've been a beta tester who has only recently gotten releases. And the "fixes" aren't addressing many of the core issues I have with the platform. I really hope that MS manages to get their act together. We need more mobile choices. At this point, I wouldn't recommend a WP8 phone to anyone. :(

This app and the fact that wp8.1 doesn't work on my lumia 925 at all is the reason I am seriously considering the iphone 6.

I can't believe after nearly three years with wp I am even considering switching to ios.

I loved my lumia 800. Then discovered that there was lots of apps not available. It was never to be updated beyond 7.8.

I got lumia 925, and one year later I'm in the same position again. I can update to 8.1 the official version but if I switch bluetooth on it knackers the phone. Reset fixes that, but then I have no bluetooth.

I wanted to try the wunderlist app, I can't, it's 8.1 only. So as the phone had to be taken back to wp8 ,I can't download it.

I use onenote, on my kindle fire hd, I can create new notes, I can't do it on my wp.

No Nook app.

Kindle app hasn't changed since I downloaded it three years ago.
Amazon introduced Whispersync. I would find this really useful.
On an iphone(tried it on my daughter's phone) you open the kindle app open the book and read. When you want to switch to the audible version you touch the headphone symbol and switches the audio version on.
Now if I want to do that on my wp ,I open kindle app, take all day finding it and read book. When I want to switch to the audio version, I shut the kindle app, open Audible app ( spend half the morning getting it to open) and hope that the audible app manages to find my place.
Audible is not even funny anymore. I need this app to work.
Carrying two devices is not practical.

I don't know what the battery life will be like on iphone 6, but my family all have the older versions and don't seem to charge as often as I do, and the youngest uses hers a lot.
My nokia lumia lasts about 10 hours. No browsing on internet, and only a couple of apps running in background.

I really like my 925. I like the way the home screen is. I don't like how ios looks. The reality now is these smart phones not only rely on the hardware but they also need the apps to function as well. At the moment that is not happening. So I am having to weigh up what is more important to me.
The look of the phone or apps that I know are working, and will be updated .

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You originally said "[m]any talents of the D&S division were also moved there [to the Nokia Technologies division] before the closing of the deal with MS." The implication was that MS therefore did not properly secure the D&S talent, which Nokia was clever enough to retain through a pre-sale division transfer process. That scenario is absolutely inconsistent with the methods used to handle the purchase and sale of a corporate division during the due diligence period. First, the buyer always secures the asset during negotiations so that such pilfering cannot occur. That is commonly achieved by placing interim restrictions on the selling company, i.e., inventory and freezing of assets (including employees) and the use of non-compete covenants and other contractual mechanisms. MS can't control the employees--they can quit or seek transfer--but MS can, and certainly did, control Nokia's ability to dilute the asset pre-closing. Second, if any transfers were completed, it would have been because Microsoft deemed those employees to be non-essential. You are trying to make us believe that Elop and the MS attorneys either 1) didn't know who the talent was; or 2) negligently let the talent go; or 3) didn't care about what MS was actually buying. None of those scenarios is realistic.

If Nokia returns as a viable producer after the non-compete period expires, it will be due to its ability to rebuild post-sale, not by some covert ransacking of talent that they pulled off as part of the sale. If you want to name some of the D&S talents that were transferred to the Technologies division, I'm happy to look at that and reconsider your comments. However, if this remains an insider information argument, I'm sorry it just doesn't add up.

Here's the deal: many of those talents were connected with Android. Others were connected with technologies patented by Nokia for phones, patents which remain with Nokia. As Nokia retained all the patents, those employees were moved.
Here's another factor you're forgetting: between the announcement of the deal - 3 September 2013- and the closing of the deal - 25 April 2014, Microsoft itself changed CEO and radically changed course. The "Microsoft as a Devices and Services" strategy is gone along with Ballmer.
Some of those engineers that were moved were done so after Microsoft's shift. As you know, Microsoft is not going to keep producing Android phones (this was obvious). So those moved to Nokia's R&D division (which was and is part of the Technologies division) along with other talented engineers that Microsoft probably didn't need or wanted.
Now, some people, like the PureView team, were moved INTO the D&S division too. The PureView team was part of the R&D. And some of them are still there (because the patents still belong to Nokia). However, others were moved to the D&S division and some moved to Microsoft and others decided they didn't want to move to Microsoft and moved elsewhere (namely, Apple).

You are implying that I'm suggesting that Nokia did all the shifting of personal in secret. They didn't. I never said they did. I said they transferred talented, I didn't said Microsoft was oblivious to that fact. They would never be with Eflop still around at Nokia. If they tried, Eflop would have immediately called his pals at Redmond to let them know.

By the time Microsoft finished the deal, they weren't interested in it any more. Actually, had Ballmer stepped down before 3 September, the deal would have never happened under Nadella.

If you want examples of people that weren't transferred to Microsoft and were placed within the Technologies, you have the entire Z Launcher team. Nokia's old R&D team wasn't focused on this kind of software. The software was being done by folks at the D&S division. Yet now the Z Launcher is being done at Nokia's headquarters in California, which formerly only dealt with imaging tech.
Also, if you want to have a glimpse at what's going on at Nokia, sneak around their job offerings.

Here's the picture: The old Microsoft was going to be a D&S company with Ballmer. That strategy was bound to fail and as soon as Nadella took office, those plans were scrapped. However, a process to buy Nokia's D&S division had been started. So it has to be completed or Microsoft would have to pay substantial compensations to Nokia as per the terms of the deal.
In the meantime, Nokia started to prepare their re-organization. Nokia has been many things but for the last 30-40 years they became a giant in telecommunications. It's completely absurd that anyone ever thought Nokia would leave the phone business. They have tons of patents. They have years of R&D. They practically invented the mobile phone market. They had a D&S division that was too big though. They weren't being able to scale things down and unlike Microsoft, Nokia was never too keen on firing people. Finland's own economy has been based around Nokia for years.
With the sale of the D&S, they were able to shift the burden of dealing with that problem. In a way, it's similar to what the old Motorola had to to, although Motorola was never near the size of Nokia. And similar to what Ericsson did (though Ericsson sold everything mobile-related to Sony).
Now that that's out of the way, Nokia can start to focus on a more streamlined strategy. Their eventual return to phone will not be done in the scale that old Nokia had. They'll probably focus only on certain markets where their brand is well established, like Europe. Maybe only on premium offerings. Maybe, instead of a gazillion phones, they release just one or two. None of that is yet set in stone, that's what's being discussed right now.
In the meantime, Nokia is however free to release any other hardware they wish under other brands. And they can release software under their own brand (like the Z Launcher). For example, you should be seeing in the very near future, non-phone hardware from Nokia coming under the HERE brand (HERE, although a "part" of Nokia, is still a separate entity, much like Microsoft Mobile is separate from Microsoft. Therefore, HERE can release hardware, since it won't go against the terms of the deal between Nokia and Microsoft).
And that's what Nokia's currently working on while preparing the future.

If this still doesn't satisfy you, fine. If you still think it doesn't add-up, fine. Wait and see what the future brings.
In the meantime, if you have an Android phone, give the Z Launcher a try. ;)
I've already written too much AND went waaaaay off-topic here.

No point in keeping high-jacking this thread.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I find many glaring flaws in Android-
No official file manager.(Nexus, and some other phones).

No moving apps to SD. (This was in 2.3, why did Google remove it? Are they crazy?)

Apps don't close. If you press the back button, the app exits, but keeps running in the background. You have to go to settings and close the app.WTH?

Lag is present eventually, if not immediately(Samsung= king of lag. Yes, even nexus too. I've not reset my 620 since I bought it last June, and it is smoother than my cousin's year old nexus 5 bought last year, which I'm using right now. Project butter, and now Volta, how long will they keep promising, lets see...)

My biggest gripe- No updates. (except for nexus, name a brand that updates both it's budget and high-end phones for greater than 2 years. None.)

Security is lax. Need to install an anti virus. (Search 🔍 for antivirus on WP. No result). Open source= open to viruses.

No advanced camera settings. Show me an app that can do manual focus, like Nokia camera.

Phone gets heated when using 3g. (Of the 7 phones I've tested, all of them have this problem. Not my 620. Why?

Low, laggy performance on budget devices, unlike WP. Why? Seven years and they couldn't solve this problem.

Lack of a camera button. Even devices with a camera button are not so functional with it as compared to WP. The Lumia 930 will take a picture faster than a nexus 5, when both of them are locked, password protection on.

Piracy is possible easily on Android. (In India, very few pay for apps on Android. For example, my friend sees that asphalt 7 is paid on his phone. What does he do? He searches - asphalt 7.apk download, and installs for free. Developers earnings depend upon these purchases. Why does Google do this?)

No default call+SMS filter built in, have to install an app for that.

No carrier billing.

IRCTC and NTES apps are not available. Heck, you can't book train tickets with your Android device. WTH? My WP can do this.

Non availability of play store in some regions.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I find many glaring flaws in Android-
No official file manager.(Nexus, and some other phones).

No moving apps to SD. (This was in 2.3, why did Google remove it? Are they crazy?)

Apps don't close. If you press the back button, the app exits, but keeps running in the background. You have to go to settings and close the app.WTH?

Lag is present eventually, if not immediately(Samsung= king of lag. Yes, even nexus too. I've not reset my 620 since I bought it last June, and it is smoother than my cousin's year old nexus 5 bought last year, which I'm using right now. Project butter, and now Volta, how long will they keep promising, lets see...)

My biggest gripe- No updates. (except for nexus, name a brand that updates both it's budget and high-end phones for greater than 2 years. None.)

Security is lax. Need to install an anti virus. (Search 🔍 for antivirus on WP. No result). Open source= open to viruses.

No advanced camera settings. Show me an app that can do manual focus, like Nokia camera.

Phone gets heated when using 3g. (Of the 7 phones I've tested, all of them have this problem. Not my 620. Why?

Low, laggy performance on budget devices, unlike WP. Why? Seven years and they couldn't solve this problem.

Lack of a camera button. Even devices with a camera button are not so functional with it as compared to WP. The Lumia 930 will take a picture faster than a nexus 5, when both of them are locked, password protection on.

Piracy is possible easily on Android. (In India, very few pay for apps on Android. For example, my friend sees that asphalt 7 is paid on his phone. What does he do? He searches - asphalt 7.apk download, and installs for free. Developers earnings depend upon these purchases. Why does Google do this?)

No default call+SMS filter built in, have to install an app for that.

No carrier billing.

IRCTC and NTES apps are not available. Heck, you can't book train tickets with your Android device. WTH? My WP can do this.

Non availability of play store in some regions.

I would write a long post in response to your question but I'm pretty sure this thread will get closed soon and my posts will be deleted.

But in a nutshell I'll answer a few of your questions.

Android doesn't need an official file manager because we already have a lot of amazing ones, Microsoft had to do it because back in the Windows Phone 8 days people really wanted a file manager and there we're no good ones, with the exception of one. But Android has a lot of file managers that work perfectly well.

Apps can be moved to SD Card, that functionality was never removed.

Apps do close when you press the back button, however if the app requires memory to give you notifications it keeps running in the background, no need to go to the settings app. I often don't even close my apps, and I have no issues with performance.

IMO I've used a Lumia 520(same hardware with 620) for over eight months and it is in no way smoother than a Nexus 5, even when I've filled the storage completely. There are certain apps that stutter now and then but that's because of lazy developers, don't tell me that there are no "slow" apps on Windows Phone, the Xbox Music and Skype app we're painfully slow.

Project Butter was implemented in Android 4.1, Android L has no performance improvements other than switching to ART, and you can enable ART even on Android 4.4(it makes the phone much more fluid).

I've owned Android phones for over 3 years, I've rooted it, installed a dozen different ROMs, never used an anti virus and never got a virus.

Open source is just that, an example of how "Open" Android is, not how less secure it is. Android is targeted for viruses because most people use Android devices, Windows Phone can also be exploited but since a very little percentage of people use it, no one cares to make viruses on it.

As far as your Android doesn't give updates stuff. Do you forget that Microsoft doesn't have the best record with updates, we're Windows Phone 7 devices not abandoned? Was HTC 8S and Lumia 810 not abandoned?

HTC, Motorola and Samsung are pretty good with updates, I hear that the Galaxy S3 got Android 4.4 KitKat.

Heat management isn't the fault of phone manufacturers, it's an issue with Snapdragon SOCs, especially the 800 series. Many devices get heated up, a Lumia 930's back got warped due to heat.

The new low-end Android devices running Android 4.4 like the Moto G and Moto E run most things very smoothly, go check out one of the many reviews about those devices.

As far as piracy on Android goes, you can also pirate apps on Windows Phone, if your familiar with .xap downloads?

Plus pirating is a disadvantage not to the consumer but to the developers and despite the piracy app developers make more on Android than they do on WP.

The call+SMS may not be built in but you can get it from Play Store, no biggie.

Plus in the end you go on to mention that Android doesn't have the two apps you like, I could probably show you over 100,000 apps that aren't available on the Windows Phone Store.

I don't hate Windows Phone, I just fight the myth! :D

Play Store is available in all regions, what are you talking about?

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
@salmanahmed

"Android doesn't need an official file manager" The Android guys bashed WP for not having an official instagram app last year. We said-We have 6tag, we don't need the official one, as it's better compared to even the Android version" But still they said-"but it's not official,is it?" Customers look for official apps. For example, we have super sweet crush and candy village as pretty good alternatives for candy crush, but the customer takes a look and says" but it's not from king" Same for the irctc and ntes apps, which are not on Android. I don't care about the thousands of fake and garbage apps on Android, for eg, all those torch 🔦 apps that no one ever uses. App count is not important, the no. Of useful apps is.
I don't get the partiality you have towards Android now?

Call+sms filter needs a third party app, which is not from Google. Huge difference.I don't trust third party apps with my contacts.

Apps don't close, Whatever explanation for try to come up with. I open subway surfers, exit it, and I open it again, it opens instantly. I open settings and find out that that is the only way to stop it. Can't even close from the task manager. Why so complicated?

Show me a budget phone from a name brand that runs smoothly. Take a WP from a name brand, and I can guarantee that it will run smoother than its Android counterparts.

.xap files if downloaded, cannot be installed offline as it redirects to the store and checks for the authenticity of the app. There is no possibility of piracy on WP. I'm curious, you say your have used a WP, so you should know this fact. Do you actually own a WP?

Piracy is piracy and many devs are affected by it. Don't you understand, their bread and butter depends on their apps?

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
@salmanahmed in regard to updates, read the below situation-

Android-Galaxy s3,s2, HTC one x,x+, Samsung galaxy nexus don't get kitkat. Neither do any budget Android devices get any OS update.
Apple- iPhone 4 won't get ios8, and already lacks features in the OS updates like Siri, etc. And I doubt iPhone 4s will get the ios 8 update.
Blackberry-bb7 devices don't get updates to bb10. And bb7 devices are still being sold.
Symbian-OS updates abandoned by Nokia, Sony Ericsson.
WebOS-abandoned by hp.

My 620 is a 2012 phone, and has got cyan+8.1+ update 1+ Cortana alpha, in 2014, 2 years later. Same for the 920,820,etc. And WP 7 devices were started in 2010, and received their last update in 2013. That is pretty darn good as compared to the other OSes,a support of 3 years. Including budget phones. My 620 is supported until 2017. What more could I want? I've got more updates than I paid for, keeping in mind that this is a budget device. Thanks Microsoft, is all I can say. :)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
↑ Hey guys, y'all are talking about the lowest of the lows on WP. The OP sold a 930 for a Nexus 5 not a 520/620. I think he's got a legit beef.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
@salmanahmed

"Android doesn't need an official file manager" The Android guys bashed WP for not having an official instagram app last year. We said-We have 6tag, we don't need the official one, as it's better compared to even the Android version" But still they said-"but it's not official,is it?" Customers look for official apps. For example, we have super sweet crush and candy village as pretty good alternatives for candy crush, but the customer takes a look and says" but it's not from king" Same for the irctc and ntes apps, which are not on Android. I don't care about the thousands of fake and garbage apps on Android, for eg, all those torch 🔦 apps that no one ever uses. App count is not important, the no. Of useful apps is.
I don't get the partiality you have towards Android now?

Call+sms filter needs a third party app, which is not from Google. Huge difference.I don't trust third party apps with my contacts.

Apps don't close, Whatever explanation for try to come up with. I open subway surfers, exit it, and I open it again, it opens instantly. I open settings and find out that that is the only way to stop it. Can't even close from the task manager. Why so complicated?

Show me a budget phone from a name brand that runs smoothly. Take a WP from a name brand, and I can guarantee that it will run smoother than its Android counterparts.

.xap files if downloaded, cannot be installed offline as it redirects to the store and checks for the authenticity of the app. There is no possibility of piracy on WP. I'm curious, you say your have used a WP, so you should know this fact. Do you actually own a WP?

Piracy is piracy and many devs are affected by it. Don't you understand, their bread and butter depends on their apps?

How is 6tag in any way better than Instagram for Android? You can't even upload pre recorded MP4s on it.

Some apps need an official version because the other apps are knock offs. And definitely not as functional as the official version.

Your friends(or Android enthusiasts) might make fun of you for not having official Candy Crush or Instagram but no one cares if a file manager is official or not, as long as it gets the job done.

It's a very big misconception that Android apps are mostly torch or garbage apps, Android apps are more functional and in greater quantity because of the openness of the Android API. I can find apps that lock my phone automatically when I put my phone in my pocket and turn it on when it's in my hands, I can also look for apps that open my camera app if I unlock the phone in landscape mode, I can chat with people using Fb Messenger while using another app.

I just tried Subway Surfers and then closed it via back button, it wasn't taking up RAM and it had to reload everything when I opened it. What are you talking about here?

You can deploy .XAPs from your PC to pirate apps, I've tried it myself while learning to develop apps for Windows Phone.

Moto G runs Android pretty smoothly, check out some videos of it. It even has 1GB RAM so it runs more games than a 630 can.

@salmanahmed in regard to updates, read the below situation-

Android-Galaxy s3,s2, HTC one x,x+, Samsung galaxy nexus don't get kitkat. Neither do any budget Android devices get any OS update.
Apple- iPhone 4 won't get ios8, and already lacks features in the OS updates like Siri, etc. And I doubt iPhone 4s will get the ios 8 update.
Blackberry-bb7 devices don't get updates to bb10. And bb7 devices are still being sold.
Symbian-OS updates abandoned by Nokia, Sony Ericsson.
WebOS-abandoned by hp.

My 620 is a 2012 phone, and has got cyan+8.1+ update 1+ Cortana alpha, in 2014, 2 years later. Same for the 920,820,etc. And WP 7 devices were started in 2010, and received their last update in 2013. That is pretty darn good as compared to the other OSes,a support of 3 years. Including budget phones. My 620 is supported until 2017. What more could I want? I've got more updates than I paid for, keeping in mind that this is a budget device. Thanks Microsoft, is all I can say. :)

Budget Android devices or any budget devices didn't get updates on any OS for a long time, the low-end side of the market has become a focus since 2013.

S2 was launched before Lumia 900 and it got updated from Android 2.3 to 4.1, S3 also got updated from 4.0 to 4.4 whereas Lumia 900 got till only Windows Phone 7.8

Galaxy Nexus got it's 18 months of updates but it would've gotten more if Texas Instruments didn't leave the SOC industry(read about this).

iPhone 4S is getting iOS 8, Apple gives around 3 to 4 years of support. Not all features are present but all features aren't present on your 620 as well(such as autofocus or brightness slider in Lumia Cyan)

Plus your 620 launched in 2013 and it's not getting updates till 2017, Windows Phone 8 security patches will be valid till then but it doesn't mean your 620 will be updated till then, Google also provides security patches via Google Play Services to devices older than Android 4.x.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
@Salmanahmed my 620, heck even 520 has autofocus, what are you talking about?

Yeah right, to get a game for free,a person will install the WP sdk, of download size 4 Gb, on his 64 bit computer, to sideload a 55mb paid game. Seriously, are you joking?

My brothers canvas HD had ss running in the background even after closing it.

Show me a device other than moto g with its performance, price and the kitkat update, from a renowned brand. You do know that google is selling the Moto and nexus devices at a loss? This will change when motorola is bought by Lenovo.

Alright, I'll go by your words.
Samsung Android 2.3(2011) device got 4.1 update.(2012)
And lost support.
Samsung Android 4.0 device(2012) got updated to 4.4.(2013)
Samsung focus(2010) got updated to 7.8(2013) as did the Lumia 900(2012). A 3 year old device got the same update as a new device. Can you say the same for android? For budget devices?

My 620 was announced in 2012. Check your facts. Also, every WP device wil get WP 9. Tell me one valid reason as to why not?

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
@Salman Ahmed "No one cares if its an official file manager or not" Would you trust a stranger with your bank account details? Your pan card no? Your office files and data? Because I don't.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
@Salmanahmed my 620, heck even 520 has autofocus, what are you talking about?

Yeah right, to get a game for free,a person will install the WP sdk, of download size 4 Gb, on his 64 bit computer, to sideload a 55mb paid game. Seriously, are you joking?

My brothers canvas HD had ss running in the background even after closing it.

Show me a device other than moto g with its performance, price and the kitkat update, from a renowned brand. You do know that google is selling the Moto and nexus devices at a loss? This will change when motorola is bought by Lenovo.

Alright, I'll go by your words.
Samsung Android 2.3(2011) device got 4.1 update.(2012)
And lost support.
Samsung Android 4.0 device(2012) got updated to 4.4.(2013)
Samsung focus(2010) got updated to 7.8(2013) as did the Lumia 900(2012). A 3 year old device got the same update as a new device. Can you say the same for android? For budget devices?

My 620 was announced in 2012. Check your facts. Also, every WP device wil get WP 9. Tell me one valid reason as to why not?

I'm not talking about autofocus. -.-

I am trying to say that budget devices from most OEMs never got updates before 2012/2013, in 2012/2013 OEMs realized there was a need for budget devices that get updates and thus the Lumia 520, 620 and Motorola G we're born.

Show me a Windows Phone from any other brand than Nokia that has gotten the same level of support and features in the low-end side.

Don't compare a Canvas devices with devices made by better companies, Canvas has bad hardware and software and it won't have the latest features.

I didn't have to install the SDK the first time I tried deploying XAP, there are dedicated tools for it less than 10 MB for deploying XAPs, very easy to do it.

Motorola was sold to Lenovo and Lenovo will probably continue to do the same thing Google did, Nexus isn't going anywhere.

Plus Android updates may not be obtained by every device but Google does make some of the features of newer versions available on the Google Play Store; such as Hangouts and Google Now Launcher. Maybe a 3 year old device got Windows Phone 7.8 but Windows Phone 7.8 didn't get app support very long whereas Android 4.0+ has most apps compatible.

Tell me a valid reason why HTC 8S or Lumia 810 we're dropped for updates? Your 620 could just as easily be dropped.

Android has had many kernel updates as well, from Linux kernel 2.6, to 3.0 and now 3.4 but Android continued to run older Linux kernels alive on their OS, which is why Custom ROMs provided updates for many low end devices for over 3+ years.

I used to own a low end HTC Explorer, HTC never gave it updates but it got significant developer support and it has stable Android 4.4 with functional over clocks to 878 MHz(from 600 MHz).

IMO even when an Android device is abandoned it can still be updated given that it has dev support, it could even run for over 4 years but once your WP is dropped, you can't do ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99