Some features of Windows 10 resembles OS X

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The people who call me a Windows fan boy will change their mind today. Yesterday I was checking out my friends MacBook pro and I was shocked when I found that the mail app on Windows 10 has exactly the same layout as iMail app on mac. I then did a bit more research and found some other similarities:
1. Ability to switch to Skype during calls is exactly same as the ability to switch to FaceTime on iPhones.
2. The integration of Skype with messaging app on W10M is exactly same as the integration of FaceTime on iMessage.
3. Calendar app on Windows is an exact replica of the one on MacBook pro.
4. Besides a number of settings like ability to add multiple email and social accounts, multitasking Window on Windows phones are similar to the one found on iPhone.
Microsoft has done some really nice work with Windows 10. The unique features include LIVE tiles, Cortana, and Holo Lens. These features are not there on Apple.
However, the fact that Microsoft has copied these features from Apple really makes me SAD. I came to know about all this in the last couple of days. Come on Microsoft, you are better than this. Don't let us all down....

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't see this as a bad thing if two different OSes have similarly designed features if those features look nice and work well.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I respect Bill Gates and Steve Jobs so much. I also admit that many of the features on Windows 10 are genuine and simply remarkable, something that even Apple computers don't have. But my only concern is why they copied some of those things. Why copy something that can be improved? I could suggest a design for mail app that will be better than iMail and lots more simpler. Why cannot Microsoft do the same?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I thought Microsoft to be a fighter. This is not what fighters do. I was so humiliated when I watched this video -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-2C2gb6ws8

I also do not see the problem. And to me it has nothing to do with fighters.
I see it more as, for example, traffic lights. It's better that these are the same "everywhere". . (During the cold war the USA and Russia where "fighters" but the color of the traffic lights where the same).

freakout311style

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I don't see this as a bad thing if two different OSes have similarly designed features if those features look nice and work well.

I agree. Making the software on either OS similar (visually and/or in functionality) may be in the best interest of the customer. If your software works the same on both platforms, customers may be more inclined to switch without saying "I would, except that (program) worked better on (platform)".

Additionally, everyone copies something in one way or another. The difference is if you do it silently vs. promoting it in a way that implies you created/invented it.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
4th, little shaky there, settings are settings bro, you can't say 'THEY INVENTED THE SETTINGS', that's just ridicolous. And as far as the multitasking, Apple copied MS there, i mean honestly, i'm not saying MS invented it, but the way it's done and handled it pretty much the same as on WP and on WM10 now.
Other stuff are all cool.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I would personally never copy others hard work because I am sure that I can make better. It's a matter of principles right?

Never say never. If i's not protected by copyright than there is nothing wrong with making a copy. And if it is with copyright it is often smarter to pay royalties to use it because it's often "smarter" then design it yourself.

Thinking that you (not personal) "know" it better is one of the biggest traps.

Last edited:

freakout311style

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Never say never. If i's not protected by copyright than there is nothing wrong with making a copy. And if it is with copyright it is often smarter to pay royalties to use it because it's often "smarter" then design it yourself.

Thinking that you (not personal) "know" it better is one of the biggest traps.

Exactly; it's the cost of convenience. If you can pay a reasonable fee to someone else for licensing, compared to the cost of development of your own "product", you can potentially make more money in the long run and have it to the public faster.

If you throw money into a project trying to be better than something else, but it never quite makes it, you've wasted time & money. At this point, what do you do, try again or then go the licensing/royalties route?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
But wait, Russia's railroad tracks had (and still have) a different gauge than those in Western Europe.

True, and in the UK they drive on the different side of the road compared with Europe. And there are the international -, nautical - and the US survey mile and km. Celsius versus Fahrenheit, liters versus US standard gallons versus imperial gallons etc etc.
And this are all examples of what I do not think is "smart".

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Thankfully Nokia did not think like this. Or else Lumias would never had clearblack tech, supersensitive touch, OIS on its cameras, and sunlight readability enhancements. That's why I say that if there is one company like Apple, it's Nokia. Check out OZO, there next big creation.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The original Linux GUI copied from Windows. Mac copied from Linux. Windows copied from Mac. It's an endless cycle. Before that, text based OSes were also copying from one another. Unix shell, DOS, OS/360, Kronos, NOS, EXEC, MCP are a few of which I can remember, and they all had similarities as well.

A creator of an OS is going to look at other OSes, see what works, and adapt. They will also see what doesn't work and try to steer clear. It's the way it has always been.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb