Something happened and we cant get to your offline maps, try again later, how can I fix this?

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
something happend and we cant get to your offline maps, try again later

anyone else getting this? I'm the only one hating those "something happened" errors? I cant find anything on the matter, all maps apps crash on startup, no way to reinstall them and no way to delete offline map data since it seems to be corrupted

any help would be appreciated :)

Zagna

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: something happend and we cant get to your offline maps, try again later

Same here :unhappysweat:
HERE and Maps crash, McDonald's gives an exception about maps control when it tries to start and the same offline maps error.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

so we're essentially left without mapping apps, so cool ms we cant even access system files to manually delete the corrupted map data and let it reinstall, it would be that simple... but no..

Zagna

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
They're working on a fix :) Or you can do a reset

Found in Microsoft Community -> Windows -> Apps on Windows 10 -> Maps -> Phone

Copy+paste because I can't post links yet :(
Affected AppsWindows 10 Maps App, HERE Maps and all other apps with Windows Maps
Affected devicesPhones upgraded from Windows Phone 8.0 -> Windows Phone 8.1 -> Windows 10
IssueIf the phone was upgraded from Windows Phone 8.0 to Windows Phone 8.1 to Windows 10 then Windows 10 Maps App, HERE Maps and all other apps with Windows Maps could fail to launch
WorkaroundWhile we are working on getting the fix out as soon as possible, the only way to work around this issue is to reset your device. Start>Settings>About>Reset your phone. We realize the inconvenience and are working hard to fix the issue.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
wow that was incredibly accurate, that's exactly how it happened to me, after build 586.29 it was fixed

this surely has restored some hope in w10m for me, I hope they keep it up

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

Same here, HERE maps are working after the 586.29 build. Happy days are back again. Dun hit the panic button yet.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

Just notice I can now move offline map from phone to SD card. Yeah !!!

TechnoCentrist

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
There is a solution for this, if your map data are stored on sd card.
Turn off the phone, take off sd card, insert it somewhere where you can read it on computer (I used my sd card adapter and switched it to my notebook PC).
Open file explorer, turn on view hidden and system files in settings, and find Map folder in root of your sd card. Shift delete it, put card back in your phone, turn on phone, goto Maps, and download offline maps again.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
There is a solution for this, if your map data are stored on sd card.
Turn off the phone, take off sd card, insert it somewhere where you can read it on computer (I used my sd card adapter and switched it to my notebook PC).
Open file explorer, turn on view hidden and system files in settings, and find Map folder in root of your sd card. Shift delete it, put card back in your phone, turn on phone, goto Maps, and download offline maps again.

I just ran into the same issue on official build 10586.494 after switching from a Lumia 640 XL to Lumia 950. I also had an issue where, if I tried to use the Maps app for directions, it would find my starting location, but it wouldn't track my movement. I was worried that the GPS wasn't working on my brand new Lumia 950. Since I was out on the road (navigating, not driving) and away from a computer, I couldn't try the steps listed, but I did resolve my issue using the following steps.

• Go to the SD card in the Storage settings and remove device
  • Go back to the offline maps setting, which now loaded correctly and showed "This Device" as the storage location of offline maps
  • Power Cycle the phone
  • Keep using the phone's internal storage for offline maps

I think my issue was because I didn't format the memory card after switching phones. When the new phone detected the microSD card and asked if I would like to use it to store apps, I confirmed the requirement to delete existing apps from the previous phone. I guess it didn't touch the offline maps storage and caused a conflict when the new phone tried to load the offline map files.

I previously stored offline maps on the memory card because I had lots of issues downloading system updates on the limited 8 GB internal storage of the 640 XL. It's not an issue on the Lumia 950 with its 32 GB of storage. I still have 238 MB of downloaded map data stuck on my 64 GB microSD, but I'm not too concerned about recovering that space

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion