Something Yahoo email did better than Gmail or Outlook

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I used to love Yahoo email for one reason. Tabs. They don't exist anymore, so Yahoo email can die in a fire, but there was a time when everything you did in Yahoo would open a new tab.

You could have your main inbox in one tab, multiple search results in multiple tabs, several emails in different tabs, and so on. It was amazing. Im sure it was a lot of messy code and required a lot of data to be stored on the client, but come on. Storing heavy data on the client is the way technology is going anyway. When I am in Gmail and I do a search, it is a pain in the **** to switch between an email and the search results. If you open an email from a search result list, the only way to get back to the search results is to click a little back arrow that is easy to miss (im sure this depends on your gmail layout, but for mine it isn't especially convenient).

My Outlook account is a little better but still not great. The search results, emails, and menus are all in separate panels. It works, but if I go back to the inbox I lose my search results.

With old school yahoo, you could switch between these things simply by clicking on tabs. It was wonderful.

Of course, my yahoo account gets hacked like every week and they have gotten rid of the one feature I really liked, so I have abandoned them. I wish Gmail and Outlook could implement something similar (perhaps better?). Anyone miss tabs?

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
When did Yahoo make that change? I still have tabs for everything...?

Maybe it could be something they moved away from on touch based devices?

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
You still have them? When I log in to yahoo I don't get them at all. Maybe its a setting? Maybe I accidentally opted in to some kind of beta site?

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
My god you are right!! I never checked the View settings! I had tabs and then one day they disappeared without any warning, so I just assumed they were trying to be more like Gmail!

Now I miss yahoo again. I wish my account didn't get hacked so easily (I have changed the password multiple times, made it super complicated, don't log in to it on public networks, don't connect to it from my phone, and use their image verification, and it STILL gets hacked). I wish outlook would adopt something similar.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
My god you are right!! I never checked the View settings! I had tabs and then one day they disappeared without any warning, so I just assumed they were trying to be more like Gmail!

Now I miss yahoo again. I wish my account didn't get hacked so easily (I have changed the password multiple times, made it super complicated, don't log in to it on public networks, don't connect to it from my phone, and use their image verification, and it STILL gets hacked). I wish outlook would adopt something similar.

Your last line makes it sound like you are hoping Outlook would start to allow you to get hacked more often, haha.

Do you have their Second sign-in verification turned on?

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

wierd.i dont use much security methods like that.its ok for me so far.Dont really use gmail as i dont want my mails to be read by someone even if its a machine.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Your last line makes it sound like you are hoping Outlook would start to allow you to get hacked more often, haha.

Do you have their Second sign-in verification turned on?

Well duh, who doesn't want their account to get hacked more often? Stupid outlook and their being secure!

I use ever method available to me. I have called yahoo and they directed me through setting up all sorts of verification (which I had already done, but I figured I would at least humor them). They said it was secure and that there should be nothing left to worry about. A few weeks like I was sending mass spam emails to my entire mailing list =(

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
My yahoo email has been hacked 3 times in two months, the previous 10 years never hacked.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss