Sony or Nokia Windows Phone?

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
So, my contract just ended in December. And now I'm waiting for just about any WP8.1 device announcements. May they be MWC in February, or MS BUILD until April. And basically i'm wondering what my next Windows Phone should be. I'm staying on T-Mobile, and I'm still daily driving my little HTC Radar.

But basically, if way more companies would maybe push out like one to three new WP's this year, what company do you think you would choose? I honestly don't like the mentality of giving Nokia the pass, and going All Hail Nokia, just because Microsoft bought them. I'd rather a Microsoft Surface Windows Phone, but that's just not the case. If Blackberry would theoretically make a Windows Phone, I would certainly be eager to look at that too. I came from like three Blackberries before this.

So, my main thoughts are: Sony, Nokia, LG, HTC, Samsung, Asus, Lenovo. From all these companies, I've read crazy stories about how they're looking WP8 pretty closely. Sony the most closest now, and Samsung behind them. From I've read, Samsung might push out a phone exclusively on Verizon, which is weird because i thought they liked money. And I've liked what I've read about LG looking WP too, knowing that all they do is look at what Samsung does and trying to emulate that.

So out of all this wild speculation, I really want to know: Which should I get: A Sony Windows Phone, or a Nokia Windows Phone? Later this year.
And really, if you had a larger choice of manufacturers to choose from, who would you rather a dream phone from?

Nokia Boy

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Personally i think,nokia is the wp8 brand,they have many nokia exclusive apps and updates and IMO they have the best design and hardware,MS already confirmed all WP8 devices will receive WP8.1 so no need to worry...

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Nokia since,Nokia have already dominated other oem in windows phone, they have a larger market share, large selection of exclusive apps and yes don't forget great new features in every update by Nokia (recently new glance 2.0 with black update ),rest time will tell what Sony brings in windows phone.....I have ome sort of feeling that first windows phone 8.1 device will he shipped by Nokia with new snapdragon 805 chipsets.Nokia always have a great camera , whee as sony errghh not even close. Since Nokia will be merged with Microsoft soon,chances are more great phones are coming in months.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I would go with Nokia this time, since you know what you're going to get. Give the other companies chance to sand off the bugs and show they know how to make a WP8 device well (and that they'll support it properly) and then try them out next time. Sound logical?

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
SONY all the way just got the SONY XPERIA Z1 and it awesome if SONY do the Z1 with WP8/8.1 then I definitely buy it with a heartbeat!

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
SONY all the way just got the SONY XPERIA Z1 and it awesome if SONY do the Z1 with WP8/8.1 then I definitely buy it with a heartbeat!
of course you would say sony :p but I will say nokia just because they have proved that they are the OEM to beat and the OEM to buy from :)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Nokia all the way. Sony makes nice looking hardware but i heard some complaints about the Xperia Z back when i was looking for a phone for my little brother...he wanted the Z with Tmo and I saw some negative complaints about the hardware.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend Nokia (or Microsoft) Phones. While Sony phones are good. they aren't as reliable as Nokia's. E.g Nokia Lumia phones can handle drops etc. I am getting a Sony Windows Phone though :)

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Hmmmm.... It is intresting you state you have heard something from LG about WP 8.1. I have heard nothing about them coming back into the fold.

If you are choosing between Sony and Nokia, allow me to say at this point that is like the Bird in the hand VS. the two in the bush. We have zero idea what type of device Sony will release. We certainly have no idea where it will be released either. I would love to see a Sony hit us here in the US. I love Sony hardware. Their call quality, the feel/weight of the phones, just the whole construction. However, I will bet a package of Fig Newtons that Sony WP devices won't see our soil. Most of the scuttlebutt has them looking at markets closer to their home shores.

Samsung's rumored WP 8.1 looks like a top flight effort. HTC has been silent on the WP 8.1 efforts, but I get they are looking at it hard.

But, until we know what is where, who is what, and what is when, you have to look at Microsoft/Nokia. You know they will bring the hardware and the devices will be pushed to every carrier willing (looking at you, Sprint) and able (Verizon.... I am glaring at you) to carry one.

But since you are waiting until WP 8.1, revisit this in a couple months as we get close to the announcements. We will have more leaks by then.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Out of Sony or Nokia, my choice would be Nokia. In fact, out of any of the OEM's, I would say Nokia. They really are top dog when it comes to WP (exclusive apps, on the whole great build quality, larger selection of phones, always adding new features in firmware updates etc).

I must say that even though I'd always go for a Nokia at the moment, Sony do appear to make some very nice hardware. I've had a go on the Xperia Z1, and I really was genuinely impressed. If that did come to WP, I'm sure it would be popular. Samsung, I'm not a fan of really, but they are reportedly bringing out a high end 5" phone.

I take it you're from the US having a HTC Radar? If so, one thing you will have to bear in mind though, is that at the moment T-Mobile in the US isn't the best for Windows Phones, so you'll have to see which new phones come out for your network if you are sticking with them. Hopefully, more and more phones will appear on networks other than AT&T this year.

Noooo ;) Have you still got your 920 or have you replaced it with the Z1?

Sym3

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Nokia all the way.They have got the best display when compared to Sony, it's a shame when you realise that Sony manufactures their own displays and yet produce sub-par displays for their phone.

Last edited:

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Def. would consider a Sony. After upgrading last week to a 925, I'm extremely interests in other OEMs. So like I said I'll consider it, but I'm more interested in an 8X successor, and most interested in the next Sammy product. I'll put Nokias phones somewhere in the middle of Sony and HTC on my scale.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Noooo ;) Have you still got your 920 or have you replaced it with the Z1?

Brought a Z1, the I sent my 920 to my insurance company for repair didn't have any in stock so I got given alternatives which was an SONY XPERIA Z, Samsung note 2 or a Samsung galaxy s4.

Went for the SONY Xperia Z, however if SONY do release a WP device will defiantly purchase immediately!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb