Soo...I dropped my Surface Pro 2

Daniel Tyrrell

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
And Microsoft was surprisingly a pain in the *** to deal with. I called them the day after I dropped it as the screen cracked and the touchscreen stopped working. They told me I could get it replaced, but it would cost me ($540 canadian!) I get it, I didn't have hardware protection or any extended warranty (first time I have not got it, go figure). So I said "Ok, I will pay, what do I need to do?"

Four days later after hearing "Our tool is non functioning right now" three days in a row, they finally created a service request, and registered my device. Anyone else have issues with Microsoft for this before? Like I could understand if I was being a ****, and demanding free, or even discounted service, but I wasn't. I fully agreed to the full price, and it took them four freaking days to set it up...ugh.

Anyways, I did actually have a question. They told me they would replace my unit, but I never asked if I get a Surface Pro 2, or do I get upgraded? I was under the impression they sold all the Surface Pro 2's...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't say about the service experience, but I can reasonably say that there's always some CS issue somewhere, with any company.

You will likely get a Surface Pro 2. I'm sure they keep a bunch in reserve for service and other situations just like this.

I'm sure someone out there would complain if they got a i3 Pro 3 or something anyway. Best stick with the logical thing.

Daniel Tyrrell

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
That was kind of my thought, but I figured I would verify.

While it would be nice to get a Pro 3, I'd be getting a lesser procession (which is why I bought the Pro 2 over the 3 at the time, cheaper for the i7)

Cain69

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I think MS' service is the best in the Wintel ecosystem. However, there are times I do have WTF moments with them.
Well, I am glad you are getting a replacement. It will probably be of the same generation you have now. Did they tell you if you will get a new device or a replacement device. Since I have complete - I have only ever received a refurbished device.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has responded beautifully to my last two hardware replacement needs. In the case of a simple Bluetooth mouse that stopped working last year, they overnighted a replacement unit. The dead mouse had been purchased at Amazon and was just beyond the one-year warranty. They sent an upgraded mouse FOR FREE and didn't require that I send the dead mouse. That response was WAY beyond my expectation which was mainly to help me get it working because the mouse lights were still operating/responding.

The other experience was in 2012 with a no-longer-manufactured Zune HD64 on which the touch screen stopped working. That unit was also purchased new at Amazon, but was still under warranty. They sent me a couldn't-be-told-from-new replacement right away that arrived over a weekend, even before I had sent out the bad-screen unit. The Zune was registered as one of my Xbox Music Pass devices, but I don't remember the mouse being registered in any way. Both service requests only required a single telephone call, and both replacements are still working perfectly.

Fortunately, my RT and SP2 computers have been working beautifully since new -he says humbly, and knock-knock.

Best of luck with and enjoy your replacement unit.

JoaoCSM

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I had an issue with my SP2 128GB kickstand.

Spoke to Microsoft. They said they would send me a new unit the day after (by UPS). Then I should take the new unit from the box and put my old one inside. UPS would take the old one to Microsoft again.

3 days later Microsoft called me by phone, apologising because they failed to send me the unit the day after my request. The problem was they ran out of SP2 128GB. So they asked me if I would be interested on receiving a SP2 512GB (8GB ram) instead, without any extra-cost.

I said ok... :grin:

2 days later it arrived. Sent back my defective SP2 128GB and it's done. This happened 3 weeks ago. I received the new one on the 29th July so the first thing I done was to install windows 10 :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo