Specs isn't everything

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I've been a fan of the classical Nokia but as just another normal consumer I really didn't look at specs of a phone till I used Android.

I bought my first ever smartphone, the Samsung Galaxy S3, the 'next big thing' they said. It was full of frustration, lots of it. I like the phone in general but I tend to ignore life and use my precious time trying to perfect it as much as possible. It's hella time consuming. Then I thought this isn't a productive device at all. Mainly due to Android.

Then I sold it away. Bought a 520, due to the cool looking interface of WP. Used it. There were some problems but mainly due to the hardware, then I thought of how fluid this phone is... I don't have to worry about cache anymore, no half baked features to use. It was just a normal reliable lovely phone. Bought several covers to change during my mood and friends thought I had 4 different phones haha.

Then fast forward till now WP8.1 came out and new hardware has been released. Especially the 530 and 630. They loook really nice and I just saw the 530 adverts. They do make sense. Especially comparing it with Androids. What I think Microsoft is trying to achieve is to get the experience right. Be damned with specs as I enjoyed my 520 more than my S3.

But they should not remove the camera button. That's one unique feature about WP. And Hubs. That's my only gripe so far. Microsoft should not look at Android. Look at iOS. I've been dreaming of an iPhone body with WP on it. I just hope this is the direction they are going. Fluid experience over gimmicks. What do you think guys? Is specs really that important?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
They have to remove the camera button and hardware buttons mainly because to cut down the cost of the final product. But with windows phone 8.1 you can set camera shortcut in action centre. Just one swipe and boom you are in camera mode ;)

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
don't upgrade to the 530 or even the 630/635.
at this point if you really want to upgrade it's best that you spend the money on used 920s

osallent

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
don't upgrade to the 530 or even the 630/635.
at this point if you really want to upgrade it's best that you spend the money on used 920s

Whatever, I upgraded from the 520 to the 635 and it is most definitely a real upgrade.

1. Better screen display: The display is brighter, the colors seem more true to life, and it is easier to see in sunlight than with the 520. It may have slightly less pixels per inch, but the filter and light output is much better, thus making the display look better.

2. It is quicker than the 520. I don't know how much of that has to do with WP 8 OS vs WP 8.1 OS, rather than specs, but the difference in speed is noticeable.

3. Bigger screen: makes a difference

4. Design is more modern than the 520, which is more like a squared soap bar vs. the more Iphone-ish look of the 635.

5. 4GLTE on the 635 makes for much faster data browsing than on the 520 with only 4G availability.

6. Phone is thinner. Makes a bit of a difference. The 520 is a porker, and with as good protective case on it, it felt like I had a brick in my pocket. The 635 is a bit less bothersome in my pocket as it is slightly thinner and is somewhat less noticeable. Amazing what a little extra thinness does.

7. The edges of the 635 are more squared, so it is more pleasant to grab for those who use thin cases or no protective cases, and it is less likely to slip than the sloped edge design of the 520.

These are only a few of the upgrades. I have a list with 5 or 6 other things I've noticed that are definitely upgrades on the 635 vs 520 as far as hardware performance/feel/user experience, and not just the obvious upgrade of having WP 8.1 now instead of God knows when with the 520.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeroyNoodle