Starting to get that itch...

cj1016

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
It's been 9 months to the day that this vaporware was announced. Love my 1520, hate being treated like second-rate mobile citizens, lol. But really, with the rumors of the iPhone 6 and Note 4, is there anyone wondering if the grass is greener? Anyone getting that itch to switch camps? I'm tired of everlasting betas (Instagram), being pissed off with crappy apps (Pinterest), and even Microsoft themselves providing mobile apps (Office for iPad) before doing it in their own modern OS. I use nothing but Microsoft. Heck, without them paying my salary indirectly, I don't know what I'd do for work. Is it just me that's thinking this way?

Last edited:

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
If money isn't an issue... just do it and have fun!

I just did the opposite... just switched to WP but still keeping my old techs.

powercamg4

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Had the same feeling when I see the LG G3 and the S5 but I need not forget why I switched, Consistency, Great UI, and great support. Not to mention the lack of ******* fan boys that just make us all shake our heads

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
People that use many apps or want to have the latest apps, should by Android or iOS devices. No doubt.
People that don't need many apps, specially that latest apps, should buy Windows Phone, the nicest OS.

If someone buys a WP thinking that the app problem will be solved soon, the result will be frustration.

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
People that use many apps or want to have the latest apps, should by Android or iOS devices. No doubt.
People that don't need many apps, specially that latest apps, should buy Windows Phone, the nicest OS.

If someone buys a WP thinking that the app problem will be solved soon, the result will be frustration.

You got it right. I was too disappointed. I was hoping network sharing is a piece of cake with WP. Fail. My HTC One X android still works better so far. But I am not giving up on my L1520 yet.

cj1016

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Agreed. Nothing is perfect, and the 1520 is probably my fave phone ever. Just stinks I have to supplement with an Android device to check in on my daughter with my DropCam for example. Microsoft seems to be doing all it can to draw devs, so I don't blame them at all.

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. Nothing is perfect, and the 1520 is probably my fave phone ever. Just stinks I have to supplement with an Android device to check in on my daughter with my DropCam for example. Microsoft seems to be doing all it can to draw devs, so I don't blame them at all.

For your DropCam, look for "BUDCC" app on WinStore. It costs 99c but I think it's worth it. Or try it first before buying.

Cheers!

cj1016

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
For your DropCam, look for "BUDCC" app on WinStore. It costs 99c but I think it's worth it. Or try it first before buying.

Cheers!

No live video on that one. I can use a different device for now, but may look into Insteon or something that supports WP. Thanks!

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
lol I went to android camp and came back. When you own a windows phone, you are cursed. If you leave, you will always come back. Trust me

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I can't afford to switch, lol. I'm knee-deep in the Microsoft ecosystem and sinking fast.

To be honest, though, it's a love-hate relationship between me and my 630 (and T100, to a lesser extent.) I can't buy apps without a credit card, it's hard work just to find a good non-shovelware game (3DS eShop did well to spoil me.), and the Hubs suck now.

Eh, we'll know if I stay once I get myself a Wii U.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I suggest you try android now so you can just get rid of that itch. If you don't like it then just come back. If you have the money though.

osallent

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I can't afford to switch either. This year alone I've bought two windows phone, the Surface 2 tablet, an ultrabook laptop with Windows 8.1, and a subscription to Microsoft Office 365. Not that I am considering switching, because I love the Microsoft ecosystem more than I did Android or IOS. I've seen the Windows ecosystem mature tremendously this year alone, and I can't wait for Windows 9.

hobbit25

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I have been using a Lumia 800 since 2012. I was on a 3 year contract with Telus but I got pretty tired of using such an outdated device. I have been closely watching WP8 and 8.1 but Microsoft tends to be in the business of disappointment. WP is really not maturing as fast as it should and the "coming soon" crap they shove is getting stale. I gave up waiting for a new device that would make its way to Canada and upgraded to an HTC One M8.

You know what the craziest thing is about this? Its the fact that this android device has far better Microsoft syncing and apps then any WP on the market. I was honestly concerned that I would have to throw away everything MS related and move to the Google ecosystem, I couldn't of been more wrong. I find this rather concerning that Microsofts own OS has sub par MS services compared to android.

So to answer your question, I definitely had the "itch".

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I can't afford to switch either. This year alone I've bought two windows phone, the Surface 2 tablet, an ultrabook laptop with Windows 8.1, and a subscription to Microsoft Office 365. Not that I am considering switching, because I love the Microsoft ecosystem more than I did Android or IOS. I've seen the Windows ecosystem mature tremendously this year alone, and I can't wait for Windows 9.
At some point it becomes the law of diminishing returns. After 5+ years in the OSX/iOS ecosystem I tried over the past 12 months to return to Windows. Surface RT, Surface 2, Lumia 520, Lenovo budget ultrabook, and Asus netbook. Some of the hardware I needed, others were just for curiosity and experimentation.

In the end, I simply couldn't. Windows/Microsoft ecosystem has not improved enough since I last was all-in to allow me to go back. On the notebook front, stability and performance did indeed improve (though trackpads didn't). It was pleasurable to have a responsive 11.6" netbook that ran cool under load and imperceptible fan noise.

The Surface RT/2 both fell short for me in the tablet area even though on paper these should've been iPad-killers. The Lumia 520 offers so much promise and is quite an excellent phone, but again falls short in what I've come to expect on a smartphone.

I spend a lot of money (relative to the avg person) on hardware and I have high expectations for what I expect my devices to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ariaabsom