Still having battery issues.

SoullessOnyx

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I got my 1020 about a week ago and had terrible battery life, I still do now, I could go to sleep and wake up with a lose of 10% battery life, just using the camera for around 3 minutes could take 10% of my battery, I have 8.1 installed and have every app turned off apart from WhatsApp and Twitter, the brightness is low and battery saver is on. It can go from 100% to 70% in just over an hour from simple use like checking Twitter. I have soft and hard reset and nothing changes. The phone can sometimes overheat to the point where it kinda burns to hold, I got the phone brand new and its really annoying me because I can't even listen to music without worrying I'll be without a phone for the rest of the day... You know, in case something happens or someone needs to contact me... Why is this? It won't even last 24 hours, yet I see people saying it lasts days, when I have given it a full charge it usually says 15 hours remaining.. That quickly goes down... 😢

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
This is either a hardware issue, or your network reception is horrible.

If battery usage doesn't change drastically when you're in airplane mode, it's the hardware's fault.

codynunes

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
On my ATT 1020 with 8.1 and GDR1 my battery life was pretty much fixed since before 8.1. I am also starting to notice that Cyan added to the equation is hurting my battery life. I cant tell completely.

sameermehta2

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Well I am using 520 on gdr1 PFD and I would say that there is a slight drop in battery performance,However I have also noticed that network problem is a big contributor in battery drain post upgrade to 8.1 PFD earlier with wp8 this was not the case.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
official l cyan has way better battery life compared to 8.1 dp....I downgraded to 8 and the to official 8.1 and cyan...tho your phone is very new it will take few more battery cycles...and set mail to every 3 hours or soo. stop apps using your location for no reason...after getting just 13 to 15 hrs...now suddenly battery life has reached 20 to 1 day with decent use

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140816_0001.png
    wp_ss_20140816_0001.png
    864 KB · Views: 12
  • wp_ss_20140816_0002.png
    wp_ss_20140816_0002.png
    187.3 KB · Views: 13

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded to the AT&T released 8.1 Thursday evening, and I have to say, I too have been having a significant drop in my battery since then. I did a reset once, and will try that again, but even with little use the battery is dropping quickly, or, at least faster than prior to the upgrade to 8.1. I'm sure it's because something is running in the background that I didn't have before, but haven't been able to determine just what that might be yet. Was there something that, after the upgrade, was automatically turned on that I might need to turn off?

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
My 1020 had great battery life pre-8.1 (75% after 10 hour work day). Then I installed preview and it got somewhat but not significantly worse... Maybe 5-10% worse per 10 hours usage.

Since rolling back and installing Cyan, it is dramatically worse. As in 15-20% wise in same time.

The only difference in config today is Cyan, because I'm meticulous about verifying my configs are the same after any restore/wipe. I actually have screenshots of every config setting.

It's very puzzling. Battery saver isn't showing anything unusual in usage, but I do wonder if being on 8.1.1 preview is having an impact. Unfortunately, I won't have time to revert back again until the weekend. It was a four hour process last week.

So far, 8.1.1 without Cyan was a near ideal setup for me (only minor loss), especially since Cyan doesn't really give us anything on 1020 except Bluetooth LE improvements.

That said I've not done any major photo shoots with it, so not sure how that would drain it in this current state. I do notice it's not running as hot now, so I'm hoping it's just something I've missed or a firmware bug like after 8.0.1.

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Have u disabled apps running in background in the Battery Saver? After I disable most of them, leaving only the essentials (fb, whatsapp, etc), instead of 10-11% I now got 5% per hour battery drainage.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I should add, however, that most of the performance lag I had before Cyan is gone, so it might be a wash in the end. I am generally near a charger, so not a crisis if I have to do so in the afternoon to trickle back the loss.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I just don't understand the battery complaints. If you use the camera, its going to KILL the battery... PERIOD. If you play games, it will kill the battery.... PERIOD. If your overnight drain % is 1.5% per hour, do the math if you sleep 8hrs. It will lose 10%. Its not a gaming device or a replacement for a camera, your icon shows you with a dslr. You take pics with the camera, great. I've taken mine on several trips, you know what I bring with me that fits in my pocket? Go to amazon and search Anker 15000mah. Theres pics allllll day for you. Its not the phone or the OS, you use the phones features that drain the most of the battery life. I stream on tune-in for about 5hrs a day. It MAYBE takes 15% of my battery. My email is set to hourly. Dunno what else to say.

akike

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
My first 1020 had some hardware issue which caused power drain. I tested it in airplane mode during night and the charge dropped over 30% (in 8 hours or so) The replacement has been working OK with around 10% drop over night. DP update 1 seems to be chewing a bit more power though. Depending on the amount of background tasks I'd say 10-15% drop during night means the phone is OK. AMOLED display drains the most power. I use dark theme and dark apps for that reason.

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I just don't understand the battery complaints. If you use the camera, its going to KILL the battery... PERIOD. If you play games, it will kill the battery.... PERIOD. If your overnight drain % is 1.5% per hour, do the math if you sleep 8hrs. It will lose 10%. Its not a gaming device or a replacement for a camera, your icon shows you with a dslr. You take pics with the camera, great. I've taken mine on several trips, you know what I bring with me that fits in my pocket? Go to amazon and search Anker 15000mah. Theres pics allllll day for you. Its not the phone or the OS, you use the phones features that drain the most of the battery life. I stream on tune-in for about 5hrs a day. It MAYBE takes 15% of my battery. My email is set to hourly. Dunno what else to say.

First, I am not here to bash the 1020 or the operating system, I really enjoy both. Secondly, my only comment was that since downloading the 8.1 on Thursday (the official version that was released, I guess, from AT&T) the drain has been more than prior to 8.1. I don't do gaming and have done very little with my phone during the last 5 days or so, my only comment was that there is clearly a difference. One thing I have noticed in here is that people think that if you make any negative comment than you must be out to bash either the phone or operating system. I was just making a point and seeing if anyone might have some interesting tips or tricks that might give me back what I thought was amazing battery performance (for me) prior to the new 8.1. My phone use during the day is made up of mainly emails coming in, some texting now and then, and, or course, some phone calls. Nothing has changed. Anyway, maybe it is just a result of 8.1 or maybe it will improve.

kxcd

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Was there something that, after the upgrade, was automatically turned on that I might need to turn off?
For my 1020, YES! There were a ton of re-installed apps that were now on in the background. Had to go through Battery Saver and shut them all off.

I too believe my battery life is less than it was before when I was running 8.1 DP and Lumia Black...I don't believe I had Cortana set to run in the background so I am now going to shut that off and see...

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
For my 1020, YES! There were a ton of re-installed apps that were now on in the background. Had to go through Battery Saver and shut them all off.

I too believe my battery life is less than it was before when I was running 8.1 DP and Lumia Black...I don't believe I had Cortana set to run in the background so I am now going to shut that off and see...

I bet it's Cortana! Thanks for that info. I will also go back through and make sure other apps aren't running there that were previously turned off.

anmorgan

May 28, 2014
Visit site
My fianc? is having major battery life issues after the latest ATT Cyan update. The bulk of what she does is talk on the phone and use email + social media. After updating to Cyan, her battery is draining 8-10% per hour on WiFi without even touching the phone. When she does use the phone for just about any function, whether it be iHeartRadio, talking on the phone, checking email, etc, it is draining at about 15-20% per hour or more. This seems crazy to me, as I have had a Lumia 920 since it came out and have been on the Developer Preview for quite some time without nearly as big of an issue with battery. It seems quite strange that update + firmware optimizations would perform so badly when my DP device with older hardware performs better (albeit still MUCH worse battery life since 8.0).

Something is up here. There is no way so many people are abusing the battery life on their phones after the sweep of Cyan updates. I will keep testing various services and apps, but Battery Saver shows no obvious culprits. She has not even set up Cortana yet and still has the old search, etc, so I cannot imagine it would be Cortana in this case.

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
My 1020 had great battery life pre-8.1 (75% after 10 hour work day). Then I installed preview and it got somewhat but not significantly worse... Maybe 5-10% worse per 10 hours usage.

Since rolling back and installing Cyan, it is dramatically worse. As in 15-20% wise in same time.

The only difference in config today is Cyan, because I'm meticulous about verifying my configs are the same after any restore/wipe. I actually have screenshots of every config setting.

It's very puzzling. Battery saver isn't showing anything unusual in usage, but I do wonder if being on 8.1.1 preview is having an impact. Unfortunately, I won't have time to revert back again until the weekend. It was a four hour process last week.

So far, 8.1.1 without Cyan was a near ideal setup for me (only minor loss), especially since Cyan doesn't really give us anything on 1020 except Bluetooth LE improvements.

That said I've not done any major photo shoots with it, so not sure how that would drain it in this current state. I do notice it's not running as hot now, so I'm hoping it's just something I've missed or a firmware bug like after 8.0.1.

I have ATT 1020 used on T-Mo. I was using developer 8.1 for a couple of months. The battery was fine (the same as with 8). Then last Thursday the Cyan + 8.1 came out, so I downgraded the phone back to 8 (with Nokia app), and install 8.1 + Cyan. Immediately (even before turning on Cortana) I noticed degradation of battery performance. It is difficult to say how much but significant. Prior to this I could even go 2 days, now hardly can make 1 day. So the culprit is not 8.1, it is Cyan. I don't believe Cortana has significant role to play here either, I used it before with developer 8.1 without any issues

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)