Storage details - other category

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: What about the "Other" storage section ?

Here's a pic of my storage. My other section is over 6 gigs.
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BELKKW0CAAAIRKS.png

Here is Mine

edypadah.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

plsbru

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Yikes, that sounds really bad. I only purchased WP device a couple of months ago and didn't know about this issue in depth. I've heard about it, but I didn't think it's related to practically every WP device out there. I'm using SIM-Free Lumia 800 (latest 7.10.8858 version of WP7.8) and I noticed my "other" space climbing ever since I got it.

reservedspacesoannoying.jpg

As you can see, I don't have much stuff on my phone. It's driving me nuts!

So far, the phone has been great, but what the ****, Microsoft? What the f%*king s**t is that? Why isn't there an update for this?

I don't want to keep resetting my phone all the time.

Letros

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

This reminds me of the "winsxs" folder on Windows, that thing just grows and grows and grows with no ability to get that space back. Makes sense now that we're on the same kernel.

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

It is seriously going crazy now, it's not fun anymore...
qavujupe.jpg

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site

This reminds me of the "winsxs" folder on Windows, that thing just grows and grows and grows with no ability to get that space back. Makes sense now that we're on the same kernel.
The poster above you is experiencing an issue with "other" on a Lumia 800 and someone else on this page of the thread has been having these storage based issues with every variation of Zune. Doesn't seem to be the kernel that's the problem.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

Thanks all for your help. I tried the Shrink Storage app but only freed up a tiny bit of space. I still can't install Asphalt 7 with 2.4 GB available and another 2.4 in the Other section. Very frustrating. My opinion is that we should all go to the windows user voice page for this issue and vote on it. These external forums don't seem to be making may waves except amongst ourselves. Leave comments and add your votes. We can move this to the top of the list with enough votes.

Here is the link: Give Windows Phone users a tool to clean up their phone <-----Let them hear it!

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

The poster above you is experiencing an issue with "other" on a Lumia 800 and someone else on this page of the thread has been having these storage based issues with every variation of Zune. Doesn't seem to be the kernel that's the problem.

No, I have not used Zune, and I am on WP8 syncs with Mac via Window Phone App twice since I got the phone on Dec 05, 2012

r4v

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Shrink storage sometimes work and sometimes not. It helped me with recovering 0,5gb data, but when I tried to download the famous Asphalt 7, I ended up with 800mb eaten in other and no chance to get it back...

KHROMAsynthetik

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Hmm, last night I uninstalled three apps that I'd installed and never used (Skype, BBC News and... I can't even remember what the other one was...), and on my storage page, the 'apps' section has not changed at all, yet the 'other' section has dropped by almost 2GB (from ~4.6GB down to 2.7). Even so, it's only given me an extra 1GB of free space. Strange.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
No, I have not used Zune, and I am on WP8 syncs with Mac via Window Phone App twice since I got the phone on Dec 05, 2012

no, I'm not saying that using Zune or anything is a cause. Just that it seems to show that if this problem exists on windows phone 8 with the new kernel in addition to on the Zune and with windows phone 7, the problem couldn't be the new kernel (since the older devices experienced the same problem with something entirely different)

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site

Me and the Other section are not very good friends. I feel like pulling up the phone storage on my phone and doing the knive or hammer test right over the Other details.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
My hunch, based on what goes into "Other" on Android, is that any app can write data into it. Management of it is probably left to the individual apps. For example, if the OS needs more room, it isn't going to delete your maps off the phone, it will only remove from Other what it put there itself. So, one or more apps must be mismanaging Other. The solution is for MS to allow for drilling into the Other, like you can on Android, to see what apps are consuming the space.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
no, I'm not saying that using Zune or anything is a cause. Just that it seems to show that if this problem exists on windows phone 8 with the new kernel in addition to on the Zune and with windows phone 7, the problem couldn't be the new kernel (since the older devices experienced the same problem with something entirely different)

I may be experiencing the "other" problem more than some other people and one man reason I believe is I watch a lot of movies and tv shows on the go. I discovered back in the Zune days, that if I put say a 600mb video on the device, that when I deleted it, I may get 300-400mb back. Why I have no idea. I was reading a lot about the apps leaving behind install fragments when originally installed on WP8, so I intentionally tried to keep that to a minimum. But I still would creep up to 12+ GB. I'm pretty sure that while the app install situation is very much a part of the problem, that a lot of my issues still stems from moving a lot of videos on and off the phone.

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

Now it becomes more serious, the phone other storage keep increasing everyday, a Gigabytes a week. I havent use it much, amd I feel like everytime I take photos and videos the Other storage also increases.
Dont ask me to delete Intenet Caches and other App caches because I have done it, and I also have deleted many apps as well.
If the other storage is used for keeping temporally files or kind of, it should free up itself right away when the Free storage goes really low, but in fact, it's not. It always promts me to delete some data manually. I have 32GB Lumia 920, but almost half of my stotage goes in dark. Really need fix from Microsoft now.

According to the photo below, it results
Music&Video + Pictures + Apps < Other
I would say, WTF!!!

a4a5eju8.jpg
6yvu7yte.jpg

Last edited:

silentspeedz

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
"Other" storage and Downloading big sized apps

Hey guys! With the new release of Asphalt 7 going at about 900MB, i wanted to try it out but i get a warning telling me that my storage it at its limit and i need to free up some space. I have 2.55Gb of free space currently ("Other" going at about 9GB unfortunately..) and its still telling me it isnt enough. I mean 900Mb compared to 2.55Gb seems fine to me but it still wont let me download it. Im considering of hard resetting not just for Asphalt and also to just free up my "other" storage overall but im afraid of what is possible in terms of backups and restoring things. Can anyone tell me what happens to your phone after hard resetting?

I want to know if:

1.Restores/redownloads all apps i have
2.Accounts are all restored and back to normal/synced
3.Restores saved data on apps
4.Restores all pictures
5.Restores positions of live tiles on my home screen (not a big deal to others, but a big importance to me)

I know some of these aren't probably possible but i shouln't say anything cause i never actually tried hard resetting.

Thanks in advance!~

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb