Storage details - other category

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't know, Microsoft is tenuous. Joey said there is a fix coming (about month's ago now) but in the ''changelog'' (there is no official yet) it doesn't say anything about the fix. I doubt if there is going to be a fix in GDR2 but it would really suck if it isn't... And the update is coming at mid July at its earliest. My other is above the 6GB! This is horrible...

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Well...my other is now at 4.49GB using the Phone Storage setting within Settings.

I have a Nokia and with their Storage Check my other shows 2.3GB and Temporary Files are at 691MB. Pressing the Clear button under Temporary Files does not clear them.

I have deleted my browsing history as well.

To me, this bug, issue, problem, whatever it is classified as, it one of the most frustrating things about WP 8. It is hard to believe nothing has been done about this yet. If this is the fault of SkyDrive, as some rumors have stated, MS really need to find what is wrong and make the adjustment.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I never use skydrive, honestly my father uses Lumia 520 and he doesn't have any data connection. He uses it for call and some games, but still other storage shows 1Gb. Whenever I delete any downloaded video in Nokia Trailers or Tube Pro, it clears some space a bit. Hope they do something about this.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

MiguelTapitio

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
i have been searching for an answer to the storage problem just recently myself but there is also something that i noticed with my phone that could be caused by the storage problem. Recently my 8X has been having the same storage problem (just for info i never really paid attention to it till now) but only with me my music+video is up to 4gb and my other is up to 5.45 gb! But what i noticed was that my phone is completely tripping out and becoming laggy and buggy and i don't know if other people are experiencing this same problem to with their 8X.

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
i have been searching for an answer to the storage problem just recently myself but there is also something that i noticed with my phone that could be caused by the storage problem. Recently my 8X has been having the same storage problem (just for info i never really paid attention to it till now) but only with me my music+video is up to 4gb and my other is up to 5.45 gb! But what i noticed was that my phone is completely tripping out and becoming laggy and buggy and i don't know if other people are experiencing this same problem to with their 8X.

can you tell me how much space you have left? Because whenever my HTC 8X has under 800MB available, the OS is indeed becoming really unstable. The less space you have left, the more your phone is going to trip. I deleted a few music albums and went from 800MB to 1,5GB space left. Then my phone was stable instantly. Really weird sort of bug...

MiguelTapitio

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
can you tell me how much space you have left? Because whenever my HTC 8X has under 800MB available, the OS is indeed becoming really unstable. The less space you have left, the more your phone is going to trip. I deleted a few music albums and went from 800MB to 1,5GB space left. Then my phone was stable instantly. Really weird sort of bug...
haha yeah it is a weird bug. Really weird but glad to know its not just mine. I have 111.56 of free space left so with that bit of info ill just have to keep it up to 800 mb then. Thanks a lot i appreciate it!
but the problem i have though with my music situation is different because for the past 6 months i have been using the Xbox music pass so my music came from there for a while until i recently cancelled it but i don't know if that chunk of memory is because of me using the music pass or something and i don't know how to clear that up. it really is taking a huge amount of space.

Rem97

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

Yeah I've noticed this. I have an 8x and when my storage is low the OS is extremely laggy its very frustrating.

James Doiron

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
It's not the phone as I am using a Samsung ATIV S and I was over 6.8gb of data in the OTHER folder and I took some of the suggestions on deleting some Apps to see if it would drop or find who and what is using up all that space. I even took out my 64gb micro SD card which stores all my pictures and music so there is no pictures or music on the phone itself. So it looks like it's a error in the OS itself or Microsoft has to get strict on it's APP vendors as it seems everyone is in a APP race to see who has the most apps for their phone example iPhone Android and BlackBerry that they don't fully test these Apps.

Question how many of you ever install a APP only to find out it doesn't work at all and crash all the time?

What Microsoft has to do gives us a option to clear the OTHER folder and if a App takes a dive then you know if that is the one that eats all the data. What are we suppose to do reset the phone and wait a week or two and monitor the folder if it doesn't grow add a App one at a time ??

cliveontoast

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I've got an Nokia 820, I saw a large jump in the other storage when I was using the BBC's iPlayer app. It went from 900mb to 1.2GB when I was watching a show and the application unexpectedly crashed. I thought uninstalling iPlayer would clean the other storage out again, but it didn't. I then tried to install it again and watch the show again hoping it might recognise the massive file in the other area and clean it out, but instead the other storage grew again so much so that I then had 0 bytes free... At that stage I was forced to hard reset the phone. What a god damn joke, on a PC I'd just locate the offending file and delete it.

Nejcooo

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I've got an Nokia 820, I saw a large jump in the other storage when I was using the BBC's iPlayer app. It went from 900mb to 1.2GB when I was watching a show and the application unexpectedly crashed. I thought uninstalling iPlayer would clean the other storage out again, but it didn't. I then tried to install it again and watch the show again hoping it might recognise the massive file in the other area and clean it out, but instead the other storage grew again so much so that I then had 0 bytes free... At that stage I was forced to hard reset the phone. What a god damn joke, on a PC I'd just locate the offending file and delete it.

true. wp is closed as ****.

Tonchi91

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I got the same problem also with Lumia 820. But the biggest problem is that I don't know why is my "Other" storage growing. It would be nice of Microsoft to at least open "Other" storage, so we can decide what we want on our phones. Does anyone know when will next update come out?

KCandSunshine13

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
This link was posted by ChanCoolUK: Reducing the Ever-Growing Other Storage on Windows Phone | Pocketnow
in the thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/233376-other-storage-getting-out-control.html
I hope it works for you.

Question: if you connect your phone to your computer via USB, what do you see? Doesn't it appear as an extra device? If Yes, then you should be able to move through the different file folders and delete whatever is in Other Storage folder, correct? Although, you may have to change the folder settings to display "Hidden" or "System" folders in order to see the Other Storage Folder. I'm curious to know because I am very close to pulling the trigger on a Lumia 928 purchase. Good Luck & Thanks.

Nejcooo

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
windows phone it's not open source system like android, maemo, and many others less known oses. microsoft does NOT allow us to see those folders. you will have to do hard reset if you get this bug like many of us "unlucky" people. they said they will fix it in upcoming update, so let's hope for the best!

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Lumia 920 just over 5 weeks now and using the Lumia storage check app, my Other is at 1.4 GB. I've been monitoring it ever since I got the phone, and the only time I've really seen it grow is whenever I manually save photos to Skydrive, or use the facebook app. I'm guessing the app cache files from facebook and other apps like baconit contribute to Other storage. Sad since there should be a way to delete those temp cache files from the app itself. On my old Android phone, I saw the facebook app use a ton of temp file space if I didn't constantly monitor it and go and delete those files every day. So lately I have not saved any photos to Skydrive and have been using the People Hub more for checking facebook notifications rather than the fb app and I have not seen Other grow more than 1.4 GB in a few weeks now. I don't install or play games either if that helps.

Still would like to see a permanent fix soon from Nokia & MS :asleep:

Nejcooo

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Lumia 920 just over 5 weeks now and using the Lumia storage check app, my Other is at 1.4 GB. I've been monitoring it ever since I got the phone, and the only time I've really seen it grow is whenever I manually save photos to Skydrive, or use the facebook app. I'm guessing the app cache files from facebook and other apps like baconit contribute to Other storage. Sad since there should be a way to delete those temp cache files from the app itself. On my old Android phone, I saw the facebook app use a ton of temp file space if I didn't constantly monitor it and go and delete those files every day. So lately I have not saved any photos to Skydrive and have been using the People Hub more for checking facebook notifications rather than the fb app and I have not seen Other grow more than 1.4 GB in a few weeks now. I don't install or play games either if that helps.

Still would like to see a permanent fix soon from Nokia & MS :asleep:

and i dont think it's nokia's fault. problem is in our windows phone os, and microsoft is the only one who should fix this ****, nokia has nothing to do with this.

stamford27

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Lets face it, as hard as we all pretend windows phone is a good OS, in reality it's a joke. The post above me says he has it under control by not having apps etc, why can't we do these basic things on a phone without filling up other storage. Windows phone is just useless, just admit it everyone. I clear everything up on my Lumia 620 everyday and still have 3gb in other storage. What a micky mouse OS and I've really tried to like it.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
You have 3GB? Do you watch videos frequently or download emails with big attachments? Any details will be helpful.. I just have 1.2GB of "Other" data.

stamford27

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
You have 3GB? Do you watch videos frequently or download emails with big attachments? Any details will be helpful.. I just have 1.2GB of "Other" data.

Don't download emails, but yes i watch videos, that's what the phones supposed to do. Windows phone is the biggest joke in smartphone history. Yesterday 1 gb was added to other memory, i did nothing different all day. In fact everyday i try to clean up my memory, clearing cache and history everyday. Hopefully the joke that is windows phone will be 'outed' to all. Just admit it everyone, it really sucks. I feel for Nokia, who are now stuck with this joke of a OS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babra4151