Storage Limits on 640XL

Kanishka

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
My 920 has given me the black screen of death ( sim error), and rather than pay to fix it I am now in the market.
I was trying to maintain this phone until the new flagships are out but I may just have to cough up and get a new one.

I have been eyeing the 640xl mainly because the dual sim + lte + camera will make it a solid travel device and back up phone for the future. One thing that concerns me is the storage limitations. Looking at my storage sense, I have about 4gb system and 6 gb app memory. With the final total at 18gb being used.

For those of you who have switched , how has the 8gb + MicroSD worked for you?
Does the SD ever perform slowly when accessing apps?

Thanks for your input

garvitmiglani97

May 14, 2015
Visit site
I am using this device from day 1 it released in India
I am currently using a 16 gig UHS class 10 memory card there's a bit delay in some apps but that's just in only some big games.
I have installed Asphalt 8 and Gta Sanandreas in the SD card. Asphalt 8 opens with a delay of about 3-4 secs but runs fine.
There's no such problem in case of sanandreas. So its not a big deal
This is a powerful device and handles everything smoothly
Go for it without any second thoughts

Woodman1914

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I came from a Lumia 1520 and was worried about this too, the speed of the sd card can make a difference probably (currently using a SanDisk 64GB Extreme). Most light apps (eg. weather, rss reader, etc) load fairly quickly, within a few seconds or less. For heavier apps, for example Castle of Illusion, on the Lumia 640 XL, first, I restarted the phone to start "fresh". Then I downloaded to phone memory, launched and timed it. After that, I un-installed, restarted phone, and downloaded to sd-card, launched and timed it. Here are the results:

- phone memory, Castle of Illusion launch to main menu: 30 seconds
- sd card (SanDisk 64GB Extreme), Castle of Illusion launch to main menu: 39 seconds

Result: in this test, phone memory app load time is about 23% faster than sd card. That's a noticeable difference, so if the 640 XL came with more onboard memory, one could install heavier apps on the phone, and lighter ones on the sd card. With only 3-4gb free though, it's not really an option since you probably don't want to get anywhere near the limit on the phone memory.

Hope this helps.

WW

Last edited:

Kanishka

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
you have no choice but to install many of the apps on the sd card.
So for those of you loading up your SD Cards, I bought a Samsung EVO with 50x read.

have you been disappointed with the speed of apps and loading because its on the SD card?

jonahtrav

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
The 8gb storage level on 640lx is what's keeping me from picking one up... coming from a 920 ... it seems like going with16gb and a increase in price would have been a better idea.

Intense Soul

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I am using 32GB of Samsung Evo class 10. As said, the apps takes time installed on SD card and when you restart the device, the apps takes time to get loaded. I don't play games, I am using this as productivity tool. This satisfies me through out the day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo