Windows 10 mobile on 640XL

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
With the new cumulative update of Windows 10 mobile being released to the production ring.
Should I update my Lumia 640XL non LTE to windows 10? Is it safe enough cause I don't want to compromise or lose any features?
And how much free storage should I have on my phone memory for the update to go smoothly?
And lastly What are the risks?

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
i been using win 10 on 640XL for months as my daily driver. Delete everything as you will need a few gigs of space and will need to do a hard reset anyways.
Some apps maybe missing in the w10m store.

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
i been using win 10 on 640XL for months as my daily driver. Delete everything as you will need a few gigs of space and will need to do a hard reset anyways.
Some apps maybe missing in the w10m store.

I already have a 1 GB of free space on phone memory. How many more do I need and how big are the update files to be downloaded?
And how was your experience?

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
my experience is that I typically need to make space for >1.2Gb to get an update go all the way through smoothly. I have been able to move apps to the SDCard on the fly while the updating process was reporting too little space on the phone and get it moving again.

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
my experience is that I typically need to make space for >1.2Gb to get an update go all the way through smoothly. I have been able to move apps to the SDCard on the fly while the updating process was reporting too little space on the phone and get it moving again.

Okay. Thanks. 😊

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site

By the way, if something goes wrong after the update, say like a few system apps aren't working, how do I revert back to windows 8.1?

Awais Bilal

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
i updated my 640 xl from windows 8.1 to windows 10 a month back, i have observed that my mobile has become laggy with a bit of sluggish performance even after doing 2 times reset.

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
i updated my 640 xl from windows 8.1 to windows 10 a month back, i have observed that my mobile has become laggy with a bit of sluggish performance even after doing 2 times reset.

Did you installed the new update to the windows 10 Mobile public release?
It becomes more stable after installing it.

vadim frunza

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I cant answer the whole question but my 640XL ran awesome on the latest preview update so I'm pretty sure a official update should run as good or better.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
For the most part Windows 10 ran fine on my 640XL, however constant SD card errors and strange issues with my cars UCONNECT system forced me last night to roll back to 8.1.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
For the most part Windows 10 ran fine on my 640XL, however constant SD card errors and strange issues with my cars UCONNECT system forced me last night to roll back to 8.1.

Yea, same with me on UConnect on my Dodge. Also, it seems more sluggish than I would ideally want (and I know it's a beta, so I'm calm). Cut and paste has a ways to go, as sometimes it doesn't work across apps like it should. Groove has become very competitive, even exceptional, but currently, it doesn't sync playlists across devices. I wish Edge was faster.

I'm sure all this stuff will be fixed in the next month before final release. If I had to do it again, I'd stay on the production build on Windows 10, 11586 or whatever it's called.

My 2 cents.

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Yea, same with me on UConnect on my Dodge. Also, it seems more sluggish than I would ideally want (and I know it's a beta, so I'm calm). Cut and paste has a ways to go, as sometimes it doesn't work across apps like it should. Groove has become very competitive, even exceptional, but currently, it doesn't sync playlists across devices. I wish Edge was faster.

I'm sure all this stuff will be fixed in the next month before final release. If I had to do it again, I'd stay on the production build on Windows 10, 11586 or whatever it's called.

My 2 cents.

I thought groove had Playlist sync. Maybe there is an option for it on the playlist menu of it or on that particular playlist.

hack14u

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the latest fast ring, and ready to roll back just to remember all the features I am missing now. Glance not working, audio is terrible, double tap to wake not working, live tiles aren't so live. I love the feel of Win10, but I just hope they at least get some things fixed before prime time. Nothing worse than showing off your phone with features that aren't working!

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm on the latest fast ring, and ready to roll back just to remember all the features I am missing now. Glance not working, audio is terrible, double tap to wake not working, live tiles aren't so live. I love the feel of Win10, but I just hope they at least get some things fixed before prime time. Nothing worse than showing off your phone with features that aren't working!

Well it's fast ring so that's what's to expect.

mgd 57

May 18, 2016
Visit site
Wrong! These are issues that should never have come up. It's quite simply very poor implimentation of their builds, poorly thought out prior to trials, I really believe one departments not talking to the other prior to release, It's just mind blowing the trash that Microsoft has put out recently, It's almost embarrassing!!
I'm nearly ready to throw both 1520 and 950xl on eBay. The last 4 or 5 builds are diabolical!

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm on the fast ring as well and all of those are working fine for me have u hard reset

Sent from mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo