Strange behaviour of my Lumia 1520=>Battery drain and rare reboots and very hot

rafahol

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi people,

I have a red Lumia 1520 which is now almost 2 years old. The problem started with the fact that when I call during more then 5 minutes and use whatsapp or facebook the phone is starting to become very hot from the middle of the screen till above at the back (I even could feel at my ears).

The other problem is with the battery. The drain is incredible....even in standby I already need to charge the phone in less then 5-7 hours....after <40% the phone is giving a notice about "Don't forget 'this appointment' and shut down automatically saying after restart that battery level is low.

Another problem I have is when I use the camera: when I take a picture suddenly the screen will become black and the phone reboots or shuts down.

I would like to know if someone on this forum could help me out. Could it be a battery charge problem? Or is there another hardware failure.

The system which is now installed is: Windows 10.0.14332.1001

Regards,
Rafael

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
That is the latest insider build, I had to get out of it and go back to production as I had so many problems with it that a hard reset wouldn't fix (Although I admit I was wanting to get out of Insiders anyway).

My problems were to do with Groove and many others apps. Have you done a hard reset?

Given the OS is Insiders I reckon you are best off posting in the Insiders forum rather than here.

ap0calypto

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Since is insider, everything is posible to go wrong(my opinion). Im not sure, but i believe that official win10 is available for your phone. I would install that stable version first.

rafahol

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks all for your answers! At the moment I sent my Lumia 1520 back for reparation at Microsoft Germany but will take into consideration to go back to the production build for using a better stable build.

Regards,
Rafael

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I had been similar problems on Redstone 14xxx. Eventually, it bricked my 1520.3. I know that's the risk I took when I signed up for Insider, but be forewarned.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

bbennett40

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Same issues with my 1520. It randomly resets then either takes multiple tries to restart or does with no battery remaining. I was blaming it on W10. I finally got so fed up, I used the recovery tool to go back to 8.1. Guest what. Still having same issue. :(

Habibul_Habibullah

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I have had the same issue after installing a very early build of Win 10 and still having it on current Redstone build... I think it is a capacitive keys short... Right before it turns off, the back button will blink rapidly and then turn off...currently looking for a registry hack to disable cap keys and enable nav bar, but I cannot find one...I think that this would solve my problem
Originally posted by bbennett40
Same issues with my 1520. It randomly resets then either takes multiple tries to restart or does with no battery remaining. I was blaming it on W10. I finally got so fed up, I used the recovery tool to go back to 8.1. Guest what. Still having same issue. :(

ODwyerPW

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I would like to report that I started having problems with the June builds forward.

Similar behavior with the Camera and What'sApp as described above. I get just a few hours on a charge. I've also lost my back arrow button. well i still have the button, but it's intermittent in function and no longer backlit.

bagheerabt1

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I've had this problem with my 1520.3 since maybe Feb/March. Overheats around the lens and then goes into a reboot loop for 10 min. After it cools off I start it back up and the battery is at 0% and shuts down again. Leave it for an hour, turn it back on again, and it's sitting at 95% battery (or whatever it was prior to looping). It's to the point where it does this when I'm checking for updates in the store, and that's all I have open.

Currently I'm on 14372, but I think I'm going to go back to the Production build. Hopefully that helps. I just need this thing to work until next spring, right? lol

regormk

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
please, how is the situation now? any improvement? coz I wanna know whether I should replace my battery on not. thank u for u response.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you need a battery change.

I was getting the same symptoms as my phone is also 2 years old.
Changed the battery and now everything is back to normal.

regormk

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by greedo_greedy
Sounds like you need a battery change.

I was getting the same symptoms as my phone is also 2 years old.
Changed the battery and now everything is back to normal.

So u too, it was charging and went from 40%, for example to 100% like in 10mn, or when it reaches 40% switch off with just a Goodbye? I am suffering of huge battery drain.
And tell me, it seems like the 1520 battery has reached it's limits or there is something with the hardware like for the Samsung Note7

ToddwMac

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
Having same battery problem on my 1520.
Phone dies instantly even with the battery indicator (icon and app) showing +90% charge.
No issues while plugged in.

Some mention a battery swap. Is this a DYI fix? Any instructions?

Any chance it is a software issue (8.1 for me) I ask because w/in about 10 minutes of charging the dead phone the battery indicator goes from empty to 100% Can a hard reset help.... instructions?

Thanks....trying to hang on

BucksterMcgee

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I've had the same problems too for months. Tried everything except for a battery replacement. I guess I'll have give in and see if Microsoft will replace the battery.

My concern is... why is this happening to everyone? It can't be simple coincidence that ALL these 1520 users have identical problems after updating to W10M. (I even updated to W10M very late on my 1520 because I heard of all these problems. Mine was fine on 8.1 until immediately after upgrading my battery life was cut in half and there was excessive heat from erroneous CPU cycles, etc.)

More concerning is the issue that going back to WP8.1 doesn't fix the problem, meaning there is actual hardware damage being done. Did excessive heat from updates damage the battery somehow? (my 1520 would get so hot during W10M updates that I had to cool it with frozen bags of vegetables... otherwise it would reset in an endless loop of crashes from the SoC being too hot). If W10M did damage the battery from excessive heat, how can we guarantee that replacing the battery won't just end up causing the same issues again?

It could be possible that the batteries at a certain age for the 1520 fail... but that doesn't explain why the symptoms only started *after* upgrading to W10M, especially in cases like mine where I held off updating as long as I could and it worked wonderfully on 8.1 up until that moment.

ToddwMac

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
For wiw, I never did a Win 10 update. Tried to get it but it was never available for my AT&T device so I called and talked to AT&T tech support. They recommended not putting the upgrade on that particular device (power and performance concerns) so I never went past 8.1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon