Supported Bluetooth Protocols, AVRCP?

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Bluetooth in Windows Phone 8.1/8.0 supported the AVRCP protocol. This protocol is what allows for artist/track info, track state, play, pause, rewind, etc. from a car's head unit

In both Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 for Phone this protocol does not seem to work. My concern is since Microsoft has combined desktop and phone into one code base they have decided to not support protocols that are typically for phones. This stopped functioning in the WP10 TP after they rewrote the Bluetooth functionalities from scratch.

Multimedia streaming is already rather terrible on the Windows Phone platform (Miracast is NOT a streaming protocol). This was the only good streaming capability that was available under WP8.1.

Is there a list of what BT protocols are supposed to be supported on Windows 10? I'd like to know if it's coming, a bug or if they just don't care to support the protocol.

dashrendar

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I can tell you for sure that A2DP and HFP are supported in W10M because I am using them on a daily basis.

I'll try to confirm whether AVRCP works or not, since I do not use it. (I use Keyboard HID to control play, pause, rewind, skip, etc. which is not working by the way in W10M). I can test using my headset which supports AVRCP but only for Play/Pause. I won't be able to help with regards to the track info, since I look at my phone directly for that info.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I do have working A2DP.

Reports are BMW and Audi's are not working with AVRCP. Must be something against German cars, lol. I have the latest BT receiver module installed in my car.

I've been using Pandora so I'll give groove a try for a test.

I can't even get a Win10 laptop to connect to the car.

theshowman

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I can also confirm that it is not working in the latest build 10586 either. Tested with all previous apps that used to display it such as Default Music player, Spotify, Deezer, Groove music, MetroTube Player, and so on.

I used to be able to get full track information displayed on my Pioneer AVIC NEX5000 using my ATIV SE running WP8.1 but upon update to WM10, it is no longer showing the track info. Nor does it download the album content from your phone and allow you to select tracks/albums from the car deck (a very nifty feature that I was surprised to see working on WP8.1 when I got my NEX player).

I tested this also with my upgraded Lumia 640 and no go either. So it must be missing/broken in WM10.

I hope it gets fixed but I am not even sure how to provide this feedback to Microsoft.

** Update **
Upon doing some web research, I found this info:

- WM10 only supports AVRCP 1.3 which ** should ** display track meta data, but it doesn't so it is broken
- WP8.1GDR 1 added AVRCP 1.4 which displays both track metadata and media browsing and worked perfectly
(can't reference links due to low post count)

To sum up:
- WM10 went a step backwards from WP8.1 GDR 1 ** and ** still continue to break what it claims to be supported (AVRCP 1.3) Sigh!!!!

Last edited:

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I know it's becoming a joke that Microsoft likes to remove their best features but this is ridiculous. I spend hundreds upgrading my car's BT module to have this.

It's like Microsoft has a personal vendetta against me to remove everything in WP 8.1 that I liked.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
A little frustrated in regard to blue tooth keyboards as I have a MS Wedge Mobile that won't connect to Lumia 950. This leads me to think otherwise Connect to Bluetooth devices - Windows Help

Not sure if AVCRP is needed for keyboards but I think WP10 and Windows 10 on the desktop run the same BT system because BT just doesn't work well on anything Windows 10 related.

I just swapped out my car for a Mercedes-Benz and still the same. But AVCRP works beautifully on this car with WP 8.1.

Between this, all the other removed featured and reduced usability WP 10 is garbage to me. Not saying that's the case for everyone but it feels like MS set out to personally wreck the mobile OS experience for me, lol.

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I did some digging and found this as a secondary link https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...hooting%2Fkeyboard%2Fwedge-ssp&token=5WlUPM0W . Turns out to be a simple solution it's just the documentation that is hard to find. Press Fn + pair button and no prompt for pin. All paired up and good to go, now to grab a Bluetooth mouse (I see that a retailer has the Arc Touch on sale). One more gadget and my Continuum will be complete.

As to AVCRP I can't relate, I don't have a connected car, but I think it is related to the auto manufacturers changing of their software for the infotainment systems (I think the Europeans are a little pissed at MS over the Nokia acquisition). I just tote a Motorola Roadster 2.

Last edited:

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It's a rather basic protocol for AV equipment. My cars are a 2007 VW and a 2013 Mercedes. Both of which are pre-acquisition :)

Both cars work with everything but WP10.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
It's a rather basic protocol for AV equipment. My cars are a 2007 VW and a 2013 Mercedes. Both of which are pre-acquisition :)

Both cars work with everything but WP10.

mmmm sounds like a licence on board multimedia software update needed on both cars by manifacturer's seller....

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
mmmm sounds like a licence on board multimedia software update needed on both cars by manifacturer's seller....

Is AVCRP working on your car or home AV receiver? If so perhaps there is a WP10 Bluetooth bug on German hardware.

The head units are fine as they work with iOS, android and WP8.1.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
For me WP10 is mostly all a downgrade. So I'll be sticking to 8.1 for a while. Hopefully it won't be a forced upgrade when it hits the carrier.

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
AVRCP works fine for me with my MS Band 2 and my Fitbit Surge. (Well other than the flickering/re-updating of the track title when you skip forward/backward just like on the volume control panel.)

Not to mention about 6 different BT headsets I have tried.

Nikolaus117

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Still missing in de newest Builds.

We mean AVRCP 1.4 not 1.3 which is included.
We want so Access the Albums, Playlists and Songs directly.
So you can browse your Music from your car or other devices. No Need to Access your phone at any time to switch Music.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Still not there?? I left long ago. I hate hate hate android but at least I can use AVRCP 1.4 as well as easily stream media (ironically) to my xbox1.

I just have to put up with lags and occasional crashes now. But that seemed to be where Windows 10 on the phone was going anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eddacker