Surface 2 charger problem.. *video of problem added*

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay.. had this Surface 2 less than one month and the charger connection appears to be faulty. The connector itself seems tonight to be the culprit and I'm curious if anyone out there has noticed these particular issues themselves. When connected, it is hit or miss whether the battery charges, despite the light on the connector tip lighting up as it should. However, slight movement of the cable can make the connector light 'dim' and indeed the battery quits charging. I'm guessing the unit I have is just below par, but I'm pretty pi**ed off tonight. Less than a month old? come on!!

In addition, I've noticed that when the unit is charging- and I have headphones in- touching the casing shell of the Surface produces an slight buzzing sensation and sound-when not touching it, the sound stops. Similar to how metal dimmable table touch lamps sometimes feel when operating them, if you are familiar with them. To be honest it never seemed right that this should be the case, but having never owned a similar device, I accepted it as normal. I am wondering if a faulty wire in the connector is also causing this. anyone seen or felt this when handling their Surface with headphones and charging in? Any electrical engineers out there?

Any others seen dodgy power supplies on their surface's ?

Video clip to illustrate : https://skydrive.live.com/redir?res...53&authkey=!AFVtAVER05imIDs&ithint=video,.mp4

Last edited:

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I've recently experienced an issue with charging. Every once in a while I'll connect the charger and it won't light up/charge, so I need to run my finger over the power connector on my Surface 2 several times and then it works again. If I jiggle the power connector when plugged into my Surface 2 the light will turn off then on again depending on what position I move it to. I think in my case it might just be the contact points in the power connector on the Surface 2. You may have a similar issue.

bdball

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Had mine since the second day they were out. I haven't had any issues with the charging. I haven't noticed mine doing what you have demonstrated in the video.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I've recently experienced an issue with charging. Every once in a while I'll connect the charger and it won't light up/charge, so I need to run my finger over the power connector on my Surface 2 several times and then it works again. If I jiggle the power connector when plugged into my Surface 2 the light will turn off then on again depending on what position I move it to. I think in my case it might just be the contact points in the power connector on the Surface 2. You may have a similar issue.

My issue I think is hardware related- when wiggling the cord, as in the video, the light can flicker/dim in association with the movement of the cord. The magnetic connector is connected as it should be and the connectors are spotless, indeed the connector tip (the segment with the light and magnets) does not move when wiggling the cord. The problem reminds me of a faulty cracking headphone jack, whereby movement causes distortion or the sound to cut. I know MS are shipping these things in quick fashion but this is crappy...

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

I started seeing the same thing last night!

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I had my first Surface 2 with a column of bad pixels. Second one had this charging issue. Microsoft spent weeks sending new chargers, but it was most definitely the device. 6 weeks after my original purchase, I have my 3rd and finally working Surface 2.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Update:
Contacted my retailer today, John Lewis who were happy to replace the unit affected however... this would mean the entire Surface and charger being collected by a driver, sent back to their warranty depth BEFORE a re issued charger (+Surface2) would be sent out. This would be several days without my surface... I am not able to get to a store for an in store replacement conveniently as the nearest is over 1 hour away. They will not replace the charger alone for free, it has to be the whole package or nothing apparently. I suggested that the charger is available as a stand alone purchase via Microsoft.Com (?34.99) at which point, the John Lewis guy suggested purchasing this and then arranging a refund for the cost from John Lewis.

This was what I was prepared to do all be it reluctantly, but I took a punt and contacted Microsoft Surface support via their online chat and to my delight, they simply offered a free charger replacement sight-unseen. The guy I dealt with couldn't have been more helpful. All being well I will have the new charger this week. Here's hoping I get more than 18 days out of this one...

So those out there with issues, DEFINATELY contact MS directly.

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
With my charger there is an audible buzz for a few seconds when I first attach it to the Surface.
Hasn't bugged me enough to replace it yet.

I will check to see if it does what your video displayed.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I think it has to do that, the Surface Pro 3 charger connector end, doesn't have that rubber ring between the wire and plug itself, so it breaks easily. The Surface Pro 2 had it.
surface-pro-power-connectors-3-v-2-616x340.jpg

I guess we now know what it's for, and how important it is. I wonder why they removed it. I wonder if its some designer of the looks of the power plug to blame with the argument that all cables have it, why have it. It's like those ferrite core on some wires, when you buy the same cord without it, you notice why it is important (well on analogue cables, really)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99