Surface 3 to the rescue?

ALToronto

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Giving tablets to functionally illiterate kids will not make them smarter. This is the best example for the need for a Back to Basics approach that I've seen.

You don't need a tablet or a computer to teach kids in grade school. It's the 'shiny new thing' effect that took over the school boards, along with the thought that teachers might be able to get away with doing less work. Surface tablets would have been equally unhelpful.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Giving tablets to functionally illiterate kids will not make them smarter. This is the best example for the need for a Back to Basics approach that I've seen.

You don't need a tablet or a computer to teach kids in grade school. It's the 'shiny new thing' effect that took over the school boards, along with the thought that teachers might be able to get away with doing less work. Surface tablets would have been equally unhelpful.

You're right - but surely giving the destitute and disenfranchised access to school materials and online teaching materials is a good thing. All the school homework and assignments are done online now, at least at our uk public school (private) and I'm sure the state schools are going the same way, if they're not already there. This tech gives them access. It's a door. It's up to the children and patents to walk through it. If there isn't a will no books or tech will make someone smart and proactive. Only hard work can do that.

seanpr

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I just got 2 emails from apple trying to hawk the new macbook. I think they are afraid of the Surface 3 availability tomorrow?

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I just got 2 emails from apple trying to hawk the new macbook. I think they are afraid of the Surface 3 availability tomorrow?

No. Just trying to get minds of even hesitating. That mac os so over hyped it'll still more in a month than the surface in a year. It beggars belief how people spend their money. No denying that mac is beautiful, and the surface 3 is not meant to compete (atom v core m, though they're closer than some people think) but the surface has a lot of value and functionality. The 128gb/4gb spec is fantastic as a good all round low end value proposition - and practically half the price. That's a fantastic deal. I really hope the surface 3 sells well.

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
You do realize Mac OS has very little market share overall? So, while the Macbook will sell relatively well, it won't convert too many new users to OSX vs Windows. Most of its sales will be to existing customers who think they need the latest and greatest because the Apple overlords said so.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Yes, Mac OS has little market share. One thing they do have is a lot of school districts providing their hardware to every student, at taxpayer expense.

Those students are going to grow up, some will actually get jobs, and a few of them will be decision makers making technology purchases. Brand loyalty is a powerful thing and Apple knows how to cultivate it.

FredBloggs007

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Yes that's true about market share being small, but I'm seeing the younger generation (with iPhones) asking their parents for MacBooks for school and uni as they want something that 'matches' their phone and is 'cool'. So market share may be small but once these kids are locked into the ecosystem then we can probably see it rapidly growing at the expense of Windows. I'm sure MS are aware of this and have a strategy in place...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte