Surface Book Issue

Mark Hart1

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Hello all,

I really love my SB but these last two weeks I've seen some very strange behavior that I'm not sure how to resolve.

My Symptoms:

-Microsoft Edge will load but it can't connect anywhere. The upper right icon will just spin forever.
-Internet Explorer will load but is incredibly slow at connecting to a site.
-I installed Chrome and Firefox. Both load and connect nearly instantaneously.
-My SB seems sluggish at times
-Some apps that used to load nearly instantly are very slow coming at times, other times they load fine
-This all occurred within the last few weeks

Steps I've taken to resolve my issues:

-Did a Windows Defender scan: found nothing
-Used the 30 day free trial of Anti Malware Bytes to see if it could find anything: found nothing
-Used the 30 day free trial of Hitman Pro 3 to see if it could find anything: found nothing
-Ran SFC /scannow and it also found no issues

My System:

-I am on Windows 10 insider-fast with the latest updates and firmware
-I have plenty of space on the SSD.
-I used this for business work, I don't play games, and I'm careful where I go on the Internet. My apps are all business related.

Is there a way to 'refresh' Windows 10 without me having to reinstall my applications?

Thanks much!

OHardy

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I have two suggestions :
  1. Look in "Task Manager" & see what the Cpu, Disk & memory vitals are showing, then locate the process that's hogging resource/s & act accordingly for a resolve.
  2. Clean install .. Download the Win 10 iso to USB & install.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to 'refresh' Windows 10 without me having to reinstall my applications?

Nope, there isn't. If this is a business/work machine, you probably shouldn't be running insider builds (which could have something to do with your problems). If I were you, I'd do a refresh/reset or a clean install from a Windows 10 ISO as suggested by the previous poster, re-install your applications and see if the problems persist.

Mark Hart1

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the replies:

The vitals of the computer remain nominal for Windows 10 and the SB. Nothing in Task Manager shows anything out of the ordinary.

Normally, I would not be on the insider builds but Microsoft support put me on the insider builds because Windows 10 was so buggy it would not run some of our applications. When I contacted support, they said the insider build would resolve the issue. It did and I have never took the time to remove it.

Microsoft support seems to share the belief that a refresh and reinstall of my OS should resolve the issue. I would feel more comfortable if we knew why this happened so we could prevent it.

Sometimes, I wish Windows was as stable as my Linux and Mac computers.

Again, I appreciate the help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05