Surface Phone: Debunked

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
"After the software giant unveiled the Surface tablets, last week, one sneaky insider speculated that the Redmond-based firm would turn its attentions to building a mobile handset."

I thought the same thing first time I read over the article. But I'm pretty sure it's saying, "last week, one sneaky...." not, "... unveiled surface tablets last week,".

I don't know, the article isn't dated.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Article is dated June 26, so I don't really think this debunks it. Not to mention he never actually said they weren't making one, all he said was they had a strong ecosystem and good partners. All he did was dodge the question.

Lastnv

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Who cares how old it is? He clearly said they don't plan on it and that they are satisfied with their partners.

You guys are just grasping at thin air. Keep hoping for one anyway if you'd like.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Who cares how old it is? He clearly said they don't plan on it and that they are satisfied with their partners.

You guys are just grasping at thin air. Keep hoping for one anyway if you'd like.
1) The date matters because people can't see into the future. Plans can change.
2) He never said that there wouldn't be a Surface Phone in the near future. No quotation marks around the sentence that says this. That means that this could very well just be the interpretation (or often even intentfully sensationalist twist) of the journalist. The only quote from the article just states Microsoft has great partners. he DOES NOT state there will not be a Surface Phone.

That compounded with the fact that there are now multiple insider sources indicating that such a device exists and WPCentral has a practically perfect rumor record means there will definitely be a Surface Phone.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I dont think MS is making a Surface phone themselves ... maybe a Nexus like path ... but not them actually branding and making the device.

With that said, this prooves nothing. Go back in time and ask MS if they plan on making their own tablets. The answer would have been no.

A company dodging a question or denying something doesn't always mean a denal. It just means they are't ready to talk about that product (example: Steve Jobs saying that the mobile phone is not a good mp3 player and they arent making an iPod Phone. We all know what happened there).

anon(5345625)

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I still think there will be a Surface phone but I don't see the point in it. It's going to have the same experience as all the other WP devices if Microsoft sticks to their original WP plans. It'll just be Microsoft getting into the smartphone hardware business.

A Nexus-like series makes even less sense. This isn't Android where we have undeleteable bloat and a different skin for every OEM, and Microsoft has already said there will be a way to get updates directly from Microsoft.

Skipping out on the current crop of WP8 devices and waiting for some Nexus Surface phone will just hurt the WP8 ecosystem in the long run.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
That means that this could very well just be the interpretation (or often even intentfully sensationalist twist) of the journalist. The only quote from the article just states Microsoft has great partners. he DOES NOT state there will not be a Surface Phone.
This. This. This.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
He never said that there wouldn't be a Surface Phone in the near future. No quotation marks around the sentence that says this. That means that this could very well just be the interpretation (or often even intentfully sensationalist twist) of the journalist. The only quote from the article just states Microsoft has great partners. he DOES NOT state there will not be a Surface Phone.

That compounded with the fact that there are now multiple insider sources indicating that such a device exists and WPCentral has a practically perfect rumor record means there will definitely be a Surface Phone.

I'm not arguing this either way, I just spotted it on the Phones4U website while trying to gather information for my interview today, and I thought "Hmm this might interest WPCentral readers". Hence I posted it.

I mean all the conflicting rumours, who DO you believe?

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I believe that MS will do it if WP8's uptake doesn't hit the targets of those at Redmond. After all, if they so wish they can brand any phone that will come in the second round as the Surface phone.

I do think the Mediatek rumors are for the dirt cheap phones that China devours, and it is likely that for WP to succeed in China, they have to fight the price war with the Android makers. That means wooing manufacturers to build a WP8 device using the cheapest SoC and still can turn out to be fast enough.

After all, Nexus is a halo device aiming to showcase Android. If they want the Surface to do the same thing for WP, they can't use Mediatek. Unless they want to aim for the lowest common denominator.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
There is never smoke without fire people. They are making one, somewhere deep in a secret lab, just like they produced the Surface.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
There is no need for MS to produce a halo device since the OEMs are doing a decent job.

MS may want to just fill a niche that OEMs are ignoring.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
That's actually an old quote and there are too many reliable sources saying it's coming to be wrong. And may I also point you to the surface tablets? If they are willing to upset partners like dell and HP who make their second most important software profitable they won't think twice about throwing Nokia, HTC and anyone else under the bus.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
What is MS most important software if not windows for desktops/laptops?

I hope they make one, or have one made. Just use the same chinese manufacturing companies that apple uses and the device will be pretty high quality. Well, just dont use Apples case manufacturer for this round.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss