Surface Pro 3 + Type Cover 4 = slow wake up when keyboard is folded

Hikari_PL

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Recently had to replace my Type 3 Cover so I went already for an upgrade to Type 4. However, after a few days of work I notice strange problem. To cut the story short - when keyboard is folded (and only in such situation) it takes the device a few seconds to resume from sleep mode. Someone has posted a video on YouTube that precisely shows the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kF9LPG1arc

From Surface support I already heard 3 different versions of truth:
- you need to reinstall drivers
- flash OS with the latest version
- it has to be like that (which is ridiculous)

Any idea how to fix it?

After 2 years of working with Surface Pro cannot simply accept that it takes the device 10 seconds to resume from sleep mode.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Recently had to replace my Type 3 Cover so I went already for an upgrade to Type 4. However, after a few days of work I notice strange problem. To cut the story short - when keyboard is folded (and only in such situation) it takes the device a few seconds to resume from sleep mode. Someone has posted a video on YouTube that precisely shows the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kF9LPG1arc

Any idea how to fix it?

After 2 years of working with Surface Pro cannot simply accept that it takes the device 10 seconds to resume from sleep mode.

I'm not sure why that happens, I don't have a type 4 cover to test this, but for my use scenario - I always cover the screen with the cover as I don't want scratches.

I mean, you know if takes longer to wake up if the cover is in that position - so why not stop using it that way? Or are there benefits of having the cover in that position? I could be wrong here

Hikari_PL

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Type Cover 4 apparently has different drivers. They do not cooperate that well with Surface 3 Pro though keyboard should be perfectly compliant with that device.

Given user scenario - I have keyboard attached. If I want to use it as tablet then you fold it and that's all. Unfortunately, waiting 5-10 seconds to resume is by far too long. You just feel the different as compard when I had Type Cover 3.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Type Cover 4 apparently has different drivers. They do not cooperate that well with Surface 3 Pro though keyboard should be perfectly compliant with that device.

Given user scenario - I have keyboard attached. If I want to use it as tablet then you fold it and that's all. Unfortunately, waiting 5-10 seconds to resume is by far too long. You just feel the different as compard when I had Type Cover 3.

if I want to use it as a tablet, I remove the keyboard -different use cases for different people :grincry:

Vasrias

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I remove the keyboard if I want to use it at home in tablet mode, but when I am on the go, say in a bus, then I fold it backwards.

Hikari_PL

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
In any way, from time to time you will use this option. The problem is that SP3 has obviously some problem with Type Cover 4. Any ideas how to fix that?

PHuba

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
Originally posted by Hikari_PL

Any idea how to fix it?

I see a lot of discussion on not using the keyboard or using it and how - this is not the point.
Anyway, sorry, I have no idea how to solve this but want to thank you for having spotted out correlation between the Type Cover 4 and SP3 when waking the SP3 with keyboard fold and delay to display login screen... it was not obvious. I have the exact same problem and was searching now for months.
Did you post this issue to MS yet or get any other ssource's answer?
Thanks, and regards.

Last edited:

Hikari_PL

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes I did talk to Microsoft on that topic. Useless :/

Attempt 1: they tried to uninstall Type Cover driver - no help
Attempt 2: I was advised and assured that flashing OS from UBS will solve it - no help
Attempt 3: the confirmed it is normal and should be like this (for me it's rather strange argument as devices should be compatible and waking up in 10 seconds in my view ruins this compatibility)

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes I did talk to Microsoft on that topic. Useless :/

Attempt 1: they tried to uninstall Type Cover driver - no help
Attempt 2: I was advised and assured that flashing OS from UBS will solve it - no help
Attempt 3: the confirmed it is normal and should be like this (for me it's rather strange argument as devices should be compatible and waking up in 10 seconds in my view ruins this compatibility)

interesting answers - I am most likely to believe a variation of the third answer - where the issue is because of some code they have that did not consider the case of using an older device on a newer cover

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Install the Firmware released yesterday and test again. It has a fix for the different statuses of the Surface (Standby, Hibernate, etc) and switching between them.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Hikari,

I feel your pain; I have been dealing with issue of the SP4 Keyboard, on a SP3 Tablet since Nov, 2015. Bought it as soon as it came out, along with the pen. I have had 3 different case # with Msft regarding this issue, and other SP4 Keyboard issues; like: not waking up (have to reboot to fix), Not recognizing my finger scan.

Things ARE noticeable better after the last update.

Nicolas Lombard

Jan 31, 2019
Visit site
I have last firmware installer but th� probl�me unfortunately remains for me.

Yep, I got the pro 3 with type cover 4. Same issue.

Tried the following with no luck:
Installing drivers manually from windows
Reinstalling windows
Uninstall hardware and refresh to auto install
Alternativele keyboard (type 4)
Playing with hibernation modes , wakeup permissions

Nothing works. Got latest software updates too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luiandovaf