Surprised how much I like my new Windows Phone 8

BBerryPowerUser

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys. I've rocked a Berry for about 10 years. Still love it. However, I got one of the super screaming deal Lumia 521's for under 100 bucks.
I did not expect to truly embrace it. But...
After only 1 week... I absolutely love it.

I've used an Android as a backup for years. I tried an iPhone 4s for a few months. Just could not like it enough to say it's a great business AND a great personal phone.
I run a few companies in the Sports Production business and I travel a bit. I'm really impressed that the WP8 has such nice PEOPLE and BUSINESS hubs. Great integration. I love the live tiles, and the harmony the phone brings.

Want to REALLY test a communication machine? Have 34 people call you in 4 hours, post to LinkedIn three times, find a place for lunch, have your phone take you there, and make the reservation.... then find plane reservations, book them, get a rental car, handle 50 or so emails, and text a few people. If you can do this seamlessly and elegantly, you have a great smart phone.

When THAT kind of heat is on, the phone I always needed was my BlackBerry, because it just worked. iOS and Droid made me sweat under that kind of pressure.

The 521 performed admirably. Hold the LEFT BACK ARROW and voila! You have all your apps/screens still there ready to rock. People HUB humming along..... OFFICE hub giving me the details of a Venue I'm producing, and, NOTE and SCHEDULE reminding me of my obligations. I'm a believer! :)

Now, Give me NOBEX Auto Contact Capture, and an App as good as "BlackBerry Travel" that AUTOMATICALLY captures your travel arrangements via scanning emails and I'll be in heaven. I'd also like an easy way to TOUCH and HOLD a new number or person and have the option to add them to contacts. Can't figure that one out yet.

Net, net, glad to be a WP8 owner. It works for me. Surprised how well, actually! :eek:rly:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Many people have the same reaction to WP. You can't know about it until you commit to it and when you do, it just makes sense. It's only going to get better from here. Congrats and welcome.

BBerryPowerUser

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys.

The phone is darn near perfect for me.
I suggested to Microsoft that if offer an Auto Email Contact Capture along with some sort of auto travel email strip capture app like BlackBerry Travel.

Also, for sure the core software needs to offer a touch and hold dropdown menu for option to add searched businesses, people and phone numbers to the contact data base.

Otherwise, I'm a super happy guy. :) No lie.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Glad you like your new 521. I had a 521 and moved up to a 920 (long story) but could have just as well stayed with the 521. Great phone at a fantastic price!

BBerryPowerUser

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Guys.

Etad, I'd like to hear the story sometime. The one thing that would make me upgrade to a 920 is lack of flash... not so much with PICS but to use as a flashlight. I used that all the time on my Berry and Droid and iPhone. But yes, the phone is GREAT, especially for the price. Unbelievable, actually.

Also, someone mentioned in another thread that the 920 would yield me a few more "Features" on the software? If so, would like to hear what I'd gain beside memory and flash.

lbaxter

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
You get LTE (if you're on a network that provides it), a bigger screen, NFC, better camera(s), and, of course, more on-board storage. Other than that, the 521 is a great value. I wouldn't upgrade unless you really want the bigger phone, LTE, and better camera.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, but do you mean when you search a place through the search button and you want to add that searched place to contacts?

If so, you can. you have to download "add to contacts" and it will be listed in the apps pane when looking at the places details.

BBerryPowerUser

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
MSJunkie:
Thank you, yes, I have downloaded the app "Add to Contacts". That works OK for SEARCH via Bing.
However, what I'd really love is an OS based tap and hold on ANY search ANYWHERE or ON A NEW PHONE NUMBER or EMAIL where you can get a drop down menu, and have the option to add to contacts. Until then, "Add to Contacts" will have to do! Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated.

Baxter:
Thanks as well. For now, I'll stick with the 521. Next year, I'll probably opt for a 900 series or higher. I do miss having a flash, especially for use as a flashlight. I'd also like LTE at some point. I'm on Simple Mobile (MVNO OF T-Mo) and I can get LTE if I have a phone that supports it.

Great group here. Thanks guys!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Welcome!, If you want to add something different to your start screen try out wiz tiles pro or skinery themes. I personally prefer the latter. Also you can use either to make custom connectivity shortcuts tiles or just download the free apps from the store. I suggest checking out this thread if you haven't already.http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/201935-post-your-home-screen-color-theme.html.

Lastly here is a quick list of apps you might want to grab:
  • Youtube: metrotube or mytube
  • instagram: instance or 6gram
  • Vine: 6sec
  • twitter: twitter have an official app, rowi is decent alternative but is a paid app (due to twitter's restrictions)

TVcatchup (stream live tv) also have a windows phone app, only on the UK market place though so I'm not sure if it will work for you.

BBerryPowerUser

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that.

WP8 could use a few things that make is better "for me", but you could probably say this about ANY platform out there today. As many have told me, it will only get better.

One issue in the last week:
I have to be careful how I grab the phone when it rings. I sometimes get careless and put the call on ignore. Of course, this does not happen if the screen is locked, so that's the best remedy. Always lock the screen when you set the phone down. Especially with high call volume like I have during the week.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that.

WP8 could use a few things that make is better "for me", but you could probably say this about ANY platform out there today. As many have told me, it will only get better.

One issue in the last week:
I have to be careful how I grab the phone when it rings. I sometimes get careless and put the call on ignore. Of course, this does not happen if the screen is locked, so that's the best remedy. Always lock the screen when you set the phone down. Especially with high call volume like I have during the week.

Welcome to WPC and glad that your enjoying the experience!

I do that every so often by mistake hit the ignore button then quickly ring back up!

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
You can add numbers to contacts by clicking on the number in the call history list and then clicking save. Adding numbers in the text message app is the same: click on the number at the top of the conversation, click save etc.

Hopefully that helps a little.

Edit: also works in email, click the number and click save. (though sometimes the OS doesn't properly recognize that something is a phone number)

BBerryPowerUser

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you!
I never thought of going to "history" to try and add.

Now all I need is NOBEX Contact Capture some day on WindowsPhone and I'll be set. :)

Edit: I get what you are saying. You can click SAVE. However, from the History screen holding on a number simply offers me BLOCK or DELETE. I must PRESS the contact, go to the next screen, then I can COPY, and then I can go to contacts and PASTE to have a little more control of how I am saving that contact.
Better to have a drop down menu offering ADD TO COTACTS.
Perhaps some day soon? :)

Last edited:

BBerryPowerUser

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Today, I learned the "TuneIn" for WindowsPhone (another of my frequently used apps) has a sleep timer built in. Nice.

Also, the "ME" page and/or hub is great if you are in to social media for personal or business. You can have one page or hub to get all your social info fed into, and out of.

Combine this with the People hub and the MS Business hub and the phone absolutely rocks.

I like Android. I really do. But I don't care for it nearly as much as I used to. It feels "clunky" now compared to my WindowsPhone.

I keep getting nice surprises. And, news today that "Flipboard" my favorite app, along with an official "Instagram" were shown in the U.A.E. at the SmartPhone show.
It just keeps getting better.

What can I say. I'm a fan.

Irfan Ahamed

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Not able to edit or correct the typed numbers. Have to delete all numbers and then have to type again, also cannot able to edit dialed numbers or edit dailed numbers before calling.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Same here guys. Dint know I will love windows. After using symbian as my main phone for years and using note 2. I found windows sweet and smooth. Its all thanx to nokia pushing Microsoft to improve windows phone 8. Iam using lumia 1020 indian version and yesterday I got a phone sofware update. Wonder wat improved.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers