Surprised how quickly Lumia 900's value has dropped...

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
So I regularly keep an eye on phone prices, especially Windows Phone devices, and I've noticed that the Lumia's value has dropped much more quickly than other Windows phones. In fact, a Lumia these days is about on par with a Titan, and is below the values of the Focus S and Titan II.

The good news is, if you were in the market for one of the two best Windows Phone devices currently available, you can get it cheap - I'm talking $185 - $200 for good condition Lumias.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
i got mine for $150.

the reason it dropped is because it was a heavily subsidized phone, and its perceived value is less.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
the reason it dropped is because it was a heavily subsidized phone, and its perceived value is less.

I know - that's what I think is crazy - perceived value. If you compare build quality and actual specs, since all WP devices offer the same UI and experience, the Lumia SHOULD be closer to the $250 minimum value range, right along side the Titan II or maybe just a hair below. And since the Lumia has the best exclusive apps, you'd think those would buy more value. What I'm really surprised by is how well the Focus S has held its value - its a great phone, but equal value-wise to the Lumia? I dunno.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I typed this up in another thread

"
Probably not going to get too much, i'd say $200 or less around there. There will be suckers that will overpay, but if they wait, the prices will go down.

There is a flood of Lumia phones on craigslist due to the Microsoft Smoked promotion where they were giving away free phones for losing the contest. At first, it was Titan and Focus S for ATT that were being given away, as the inventory for those went quickly, they started giving out Titan 2s and some stores started giving away 900s. In my area, i saw a ton of postings for brand new 900s for $300 and started to trickle down to the $270 range.

So if that is the going rate for brand new, you shouldnt be getting more than $200 for a used one, if you do, you will be lucky. "

You can get a focus S easily for under $200 and brand new as low as $200, people that are listing higher are likely getting bargained down, doesnt everybody on craigslist list a higher price?

There should be a large inventory of those phones over the next few months as people that got the new phones are going to start putting it up for sale.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I typed this up in another thread

"
Probably not going to get too much, i'd say $200 or less around there. There will be suckers that will overpay, but if they wait, the prices will go down.

There is a flood of Lumia phones on craigslist due to the Microsoft Smoked promotion where they were giving away free phones for losing the contest. At first, it was Titan and Focus S for ATT that were being given away, as the inventory for those went quickly, they started giving out Titan 2s and some stores started giving away 900s. In my area, i saw a ton of postings for brand new 900s for $300 and started to trickle down to the $270 range.

So if that is the going rate for brand new, you shouldnt be getting more than $200 for a used one, if you do, you will be lucky. "

You can get a focus S easily for under $200 and brand new as low as $200, people that are listing higher are likely getting bargained down, doesnt everybody on craigslist list a higher price?

There should be a large inventory of those phones over the next few months as people that got the new phones are going to start putting it up for sale.

Really? Stores in my area refused to hand out Lumia 900s, only Titan II's. And if you chose the giftcard option, they said you can use it on anything in the store except the Lumia 900.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Really? Stores in my area refused to hand out Lumia 900s, only Titan II's. And if you chose the giftcard option, they said you can use it on anything in the store except the Lumia 900.

some stores did some didn't. I got the 500 giftcard but was offered a titan 2. There was a huge thread on slickdeals.net people were getting the 900s free once titan 2 ran out.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
some stores did some didn't. I got the 500 giftcard but was offered a titan 2. There was a huge thread on slickdeals.net people were getting the 900s free once titan 2 ran out.

Yeah I saw it, but it seemed to be very YMMV. I think I remember three people posted receipts, a handful more claimed they got 900s. I suppose this all happened after I already got my Titan II. I know I stopped checking the thread after that.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I saw it, but it seemed to be very YMMV. I think I remember three people posted receipts, a handful more claimed they got 900s. I suppose this all happened after I already got my Titan II. I know I stopped checking the thread after that.

I had asked if i can get the 900 when i offered the titan 2 (i actually already had a 900, i just wanted to ask), but they said no, they weren't offering it. It was the Santa Clara MS store. After that, i read on slickdeals some employees were giving them away and then stopped. After a bit i checked craigslist to see the flood of new wp7 phones and there were a bunch of 900/titan 2 with pics of the receipt.

i bought the 900 outright at $449, if i had waited a few weeks, i could of goten it for as low as $300 brand new :eek:

bradtech

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I wish I has sold mine when they were going for 300-350 and bought a really cheap focus to last me until wp8. I just really thought for as much promotion and advertisement MS/Nokia/att out into the lumia 900 it would probably get wp8. Locked into it until 2014 unless I wanna get 200-300 from two lumias and eat a lot in costs. Needless to say i am very happy with the lumia 900s but i doubt they'll be getting much love once the focus is on wp8 devices.

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Music to my ears. My VZW Thunderbolt is going (screen has dead areas, pressing in a location depresses soft key in another, etc.) and it is hampering my productivity when I'm on the road. I am done with Android so my only options are a used iPhone (I loathe Apple despite writing this post on an iPad in bed) or a used HTC Trophy, the only WP on Verizon (obviously my upgrade is being saved for a WP8 device).

That's a long way of saying my other option is to jump on a 900 and get a prepaid plan. That will give me a test to test drive WP7 (wife has the Trophy so I have some experience) and have a kick *** spare phone.

Probaholic1

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I think a reason why it's value is so low too, is that you really can't take it to another carrier. I mean yeah, you got straight talk? and Red Pocket? but I don't like what they offer and would love to have brought the phone over to tmobile and only pay 30 bux a month. But that's not happening. SO being att only does really hurt is value.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel