Switch or not switch email service?

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
So I'm using Gmail since 2006, so It's needless to say how much stuff I have in there. Thing is... I'm getting crazy with the huge amount of spam I get into my inbox (80% are from services I've subscribed but no longer want to get involved with, and already tried to unsub). I saw someone here suggest that with MSFT system you get way, way less junk on your inbox. Also, I'm brazilian but I'm living in Canada now since I immigrated here for my wife is canadian, which means it's kind of tricky to spell my email everytime someone asks "ro.teixeira@gmail.com". I've a email with MSFT rpt@hotmail.com.br which I find way easier to explain.

I know that to get a more universal inbox, I would have to create another e-mail on @outlook.com (since hotmail sounds unprofessional).

My questions are:

1) Will the effort pay out?
2) How spam-safe is Outlook/hotmail?
3) How is those clients image (professionally) in North America? I mean, sending a resume from a gmail account is considered ok, but sending one from @hotmail.com sounds amateur (at least in Brazil).
4) If I created one, can I switch all my junk (Office 365, Onedrive files, etc) to the new account?

Thanks for the help... I'm getting really tired with all Google bull****.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Personally I use my own domain name which minimizes spam and makes it look more professional than a free e-mail address, but assuming you are looking for a free solution, there really isn't much effort involved if you already have a Microsoft account. Simply create an Alias on your existing Microsoft account and you will be able to use that one and not worry about switching accounts for OneDrive, Office 365, or anything else. You can even make it your primary alias if you would like. As for your gmail, just have it automatically forward your e-mail to your new Microsoft alias until all your contacts stop sending to your Gmail.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
In the end it's up to you whether you switch or not. Even though I do have a gmail account (since I want to be able to create playlists and maintain favorites on YouTube), but I've never ever used it for anything else. Still it's filled to the rim with spam. So there goes privacy, eh Google? ;) I've been using outlook.com for ages now (still using an old fashioned live address) and am very pleased with it. I do get spam, but barely more than 5 or so emails a week.
Let's get to your questions:

1) It really depends. I'm using many many MS services, and using them "natively" is definitely very convenient.
2) From my observations and experiences outlook.com is better, yes. But it largely depends on what you do with your email address. If you subscribe to tons of ****ty newsletter, you shouldn't be surprised to really receive tons of them in return. ;) But rules and filters are working great. If you use them wisely, you'll never get to see a single spam email.
3) Not sure about outlook.com, as it's still rather new. Hotmail had a very bad image, yes. And even live hasn't been received too well. But if you're trying to do anything professional from a gmail address, you won't be taken seriously either. At least not over here in Germany. 90% of spam attacks are send from randomly generated gmail accounts (again, here in Germany).
4) That's a good question, really. You should probably not make a new account, but create an alias in your existing account. You may then make this newly created alias your primary email address. No matter what, you can access everything that was initially connected to the already existing account from the newly created alias as well. I think you won't be able to switch your MS ID on your Windows Phone, if you're using one. At least this wasn't possible in the past without performing a hard reset. And I'm not sure if this works or not. And I'm also not sure if the alias address can access apps you've purchased from the previously used account. I think it should work.

UchilHasmit

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
If you are tired of this G****e BS, switch! Its Super easy as Maaz mentioned above. And from my personal experience, outlook is better at handling spam(junk).

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So I'm using Gmail since 2006, so It's needless to say how much stuff I have in there. Thing is... I'm getting crazy with the huge amount of spam I get into my inbox (80% are from services I've subscribed but no longer want to get involved with, and already tried to unsub). I saw someone here suggest that with MSFT system you get way, way less junk on your inbox. Also, I'm brazilian but I'm living in Canada now since I immigrated here for my wife is canadian, which means it's kind of tricky to spell my email everytime someone asks "ro.teixeira@gmail.com". I've a email with MSFT rpt@hotmail.com.br which I find way easier to explain.

I know that to get a more universal inbox, I would have to create another e-mail on @outlook.com (since hotmail sounds unprofessional).

My questions are:

1) Will the effort pay out?
2) How spam-safe is Outlook/hotmail?
3) How is those clients image (professionally) in North America? I mean, sending a resume from a gmail account is considered ok, but sending one from @hotmail.com sounds amateur (at least in Brazil).
4) If I created one, can I switch all my junk (Office 365, Onedrive files, etc) to the new account?

Thanks for the help... I'm getting really tired with all Google bull****.

) Will the effort pay out? -

Yes

2) How spam-safe is Outlook/hotmail? -

Depends on your client filter settings, you can change that to suit you, I have a gmail address which I keep for subscriptions to things where I know I will get junk mail, I have an outlook address and rarely get junk, that's because im careful.

3) How is those clients image (professionally) in North America? I mean, sending a resume from a gmail account is considered ok, but sending one from @hotmail.com sounds amateur (at least in Brazil). -

I own an IT recruitment company, clients really don't care about your email address, the skill set and experience of the individual is everything. Personally I set up a dedicated email address for when I was applying for jobs many years ago, do the same and you can be creative, mine started with mynewcareer@*********

Yes

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I do know that when I synced my hotmail account to my windows live mail client, it did a okay job at sorting out some of the spam I had. It has been a while the last time I used gmail, I am not sure if they have services to sort out spam.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon