Text message preview!!!!

TaichiSurface

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
honestly why is this even a problem...i really don't see this as a problem, do you talk to people sitting right beside you all the time like 24/7? even if that does happen, it's very rare...and the notification goes away after a few secs anyways.

I'm not saying this option is not needed but in real life this is honestly not a problem unless you leave ur phone and goes away where everyone can access it

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Anyone that doesn't see these sms toast notifications as a problem is just not basing their opinion in the type of reality that affects the masses. ANYTHING that reveals more than basic info (who it's from) on a LOCKED screen has got to go! Some have compared these toast notifications to the pictures that pop up when a call comes in. However, I actually have a CHOICE to remove the pictures. These notifications come up when I'm sitting in private, when I'm standing in a crowd, when my phone is locked and charging on my desk, when someone wants to see my 'new cool phone', etc, etc. It is beyond annoying. And don't get me wrong, I love my Nokia 920. I've had it for three months and continually find more reasons to love it. But as happy as I am with it, and willing to work through any other issues (and there aren't a few) with WP8, had I known about these notifications, I am sorry to say I would not have purchased a Windows phone. For this reason only I have never recommended a Windows phone to anyone, even though I love everything else about the phone.
Your preference just not mine and many others, I think is nice to know whats about before even bother to reply immediately. But I do agreed to have the option to turn it off. However saying it is a bad thing and start ranting your own opinion is just going over the line.

phonohead

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Or even say someone is borrowing your phone, they can see you sms, theres no privacy. Should definitely be looked into.

Well, if you borrow your phone to someone they can actually see your text messages, if they want to. You kinda breach the privacy level at the moment you lay your own, device, with your privacy in their hands.

y4319106

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Your preference just not mine and many others, I think is nice to know whats about before even bother to reply immediately. But I do agreed to have the option to turn it off. However saying it is a bad thing and start ranting your own opinion is just going over the line.

i agree that i went on a little rant there, but i was sorta in the mood after reading through the threads :) i'll also admit that every now and then i do like knowing what a text is about before bothering to reply, but way more often than not i would fall on the side of discretion, especially in the case of a locked screen. the obvious answer is to have the option to turn it on/off. however, if i was limited to a choice of only one or only off, i would 100% go with no notifications in their current form.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Seriously man, get a grip.. The point is, people don't want a random private message glowing on their screen and want the ability to make it hidden.

How about "hey honey, the collection agency called again".. That could be embarrassing around a table of friends over drinks no?

Moron.

Yeah, because those tiny little words are just soo easy to read at normal distance from each other, upside down. Sorry, but it's just not that easy to see the message when your phone is laying on the table facing you. And if it is regarding a surprise party details, your phone shouldn't be out anyway. Keep it put up.

Another thing. Unless you work at Microsoft, you have no idea why they designed the OS the way they did. I agree there are some improvements that can be made, but quit trying to make it like another OS.

Personally, I like the text message notification the way it is. It's a glance and go. I don't want to have to unlock my phone to see who the message is from.

y4319106

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, because those tiny little words are just soo easy to read at normal distance from each other, upside down. Sorry, but it's just not that easy to see the message when your phone is laying on the table facing you. And if it is regarding a surprise party details, your phone shouldn't be out anyway. Keep it put up.

Another thing. Unless you work at Microsoft, you have no idea why they designed the OS the way they did. I agree there are some improvements that can be made, but quit trying to make it like another OS.

Personally, I like the text message notification the way it is. It's a glance and go. I don't want to have to unlock my phone to see who the message is from.

if you just don't have an issue with it, then it's obvious why it's not important to you. however, as i see it, there are three primary functions of a phone that should work well for the masses: calls, texts, email. to say all customers should just accept and be satisfied with the content of their texts popping up unannounced is short sighted. having that as an additional, optional feature is wonderful. otherwise, it can become at the very least a nuisance, and in some cases a deal breaker. and no, i am not a s/w engineer, but their livelihood depends on the satisfaction of their customers. if enough of us are dissatisfied with something, no matter how trivial it may seem to some, it can either be resolved or they can lose what little market share they have. and please remember, this is coming from a huge fan of wp8. i am very much interested in the success of this platform.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Is there a valid reason as to why this shouldn't be implemented though? Honestly, this continues to be such a breading ground for Windows Phone 8 apologists.

Say I want a feature and you don't. How on earth is it possibly hurting your windows phone experience by having this as an option? Can anyone honestly answer that for me?

If you dont want to turn message preview on or off, just simply don't. But if you would like to have it, it would be a nice feature to have, simple as that.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
if you just don't have an issue with it, then it's obvious why it's not important to you. however, as i see it, there are three primary functions of a phone that should work well for the masses: calls, texts, email. to say all customers should just accept and be satisfied with the content of their texts popping up unannounced is short sighted. having that as an additional, optional feature is wonderful. otherwise, it can become at the very least a nuisance, and in some cases a deal breaker. and no, i am not a s/w engineer, but their livelihood depends on the satisfaction of their customers. if enough of us are dissatisfied with something, no matter how trivial it may seem to some, it can either be resolved or they can lose what little market share they have. and please remember, this is coming from a huge fan of wp8. i am very much interested in the success of this platform.

wbdillworth has a point. Have you ever tried to read a message on an upside down phone from a distance? The message just has to be sitting there and you have to stare and stare (till it becomes obvious) to try and put the pieces together.

You can just swipe your finger on the message and it disappears just as instantly as it appears. Works great for me.

zc1

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Is there a valid reason as to why this shouldn't be implemented though? Honestly, this continues to be such a breading ground for Windows Phone 8 apologists.

Say I want a feature and you don't. How on earth is it possibly hurting your windows phone experience by having this as an option? Can anyone honestly answer that for me?

If you dont want to turn message preview on or off, just simply don't. But if you would like to have it, it would be a nice feature to have, simple as that.

This is the one feature that you're interested in...right now. There are one hundred other people who have one hundred other features or options that they would like. Each of them 'should be no big deal' but it adds up. If choices/options are provided for everything then something else will suffer (eg. the fluidity of the user experience). MS had to choose one option for numerous features. This happened to be one of them. In other areas, they've allowed more options. That's just the way it is. Maybe it will change in the future.

zc1

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
You should contact MS and let them know about your concerns.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Seeing that there is a massive brigade of peeps who are dying to remove that toast - I have utter faith in the community that as soon as I paste this link below, you are going to vote for it like there is no tomorrow.

GET RID OF SMS PREVIEW AT THE TOP OF THE SCREEN - PLEASE

I hope the enthusiasm isn't only limited to WPC boards, because at the end of the day, Microsoft ain't interested in reading these forums, may be that's why they have the above linked system in existence. Let them know?

Please don't disappoint me - this was my 2000th post and I dedicated it for the service of mankind that vented on this thread and I feel your pain.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
This is the one feature that you're interested in...right now. There are one hundred other people who have one hundred other features or options that they would like. Each of them 'should be no big deal' but it adds up. If choices/options are provided for everything then something else will suffer (eg. the fluidity of the user experience). MS had to choose one option for numerous features. This happened to be one of them. In other areas, they've allowed more options. That's just the way it is. Maybe it will change in the future.

There is a difference between 100 people wanting every tiny little feature, or 1,000's of people wanting a handful of features. I fall in the latter.
Now, to go even further:

Feature Suggestions: Top (24206 ideas)

I dont care either way if the top ten suggestions here get implemented, because if I choose, I just simply wont use/enable them. I certainly wont post about how by adding those features can in some way tarnish my own experience, or disrupt the fluidity of my experience.

I see it as one of two ways. People who don't want a feature added are either too worried about the image of the OS in the eyes of others, so that they can continue to profess that "the less options you have, the better" or they feel that if it works for them, it should work for everyone else.

So, back to your fluidity of user experience. Say you and I both got a new phone. The first thing we do is go through all of the settings and tailor it to our liking. Do you honestly think that SMS Notification - Preview On or Preview Off ruins your experience using the phone? If you are happy with the way it is by default, can't you just be happy leaving it like that and skip to the next setting to configure?

zc1

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
So, back to your fluidity of user experience....Do you honestly think that SMS Notification - Preview On or Preview Off ruins your experience using the phone?

You missed the point entirely.

Each individual feature/option is 'no big deal.' They can add your one option. Fine. Now where's the line/cutoff? Why stop at that *one* feature? Why choose that particular one over the million other requests? Why not add the one option that I want as well?...and the one feature that each of 100 other people want? Once you add 100 more different options you start to run into trouble with the OS being able to handle the various possible combinations. The OS will start to struggle, depending on what options you've chosen. Then users will complain that their phones lag/hang/freeze too much. That's the fluidity of experience to which I was referring.

Android JellyBean is uber-configurable. It's also very resource-intensive and, accordingly, runs better on higher-spec devices. iOS, BB10 and WP8 are all more 'locked-down' and less user-configurable. Making the OS capable of doing more, capable of more permutations makes it more demanding and at a higher risk for running poorly (assuming all else (hardware) remains the same). Everywhere that there were two or three possible ways of doing something non-essential, MS chose one of the ways. Over time they can add options, sure, but only to a point.

Don't misread my posts. I'm not saying that having the option of turning toasts on or off is a bad idea. Having options is great. I love my Android devices for their ability and configurability. That flexibility comes at a price, though. The more demanding the OS, the higher spec the device has to be if you want it to still perform well. MS could easily add your *one* feature without a problem. It wouldn't stop at one, though.

Last edited:

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Each individual feature/option is 'no big deal.' They can add your one option. Fine. Now where's the line/cutoff? Why stop at that *one* feature? Why choose that particular one over the million other requests? Why not add the one option that I want as well?...and the one feature that each of 100 other people want? Once you add 100 more different options you start to run into trouble with the OS being able to handle the various possible combinations. The OS will start to struggle, depending on what options you've chosen. Then users will complain that their phones lag/hang/freeze too much. That's the fluidity of experience to which I was referring.

Android JellyBean is uber-configurable. It's also very resource-intensive and, accordingly, runs better on higher-spec devices. iOS, BB10 and WP8 are all more 'locked-down' and less user-configurable. Making the OS capable of doing more, capable of more permutations makes it more demanding and at a higher risk for running poorly (assuming all else (hardware) remains the same). Everywhere that there were two or three possible ways of doing something non-essential, MS chose one of the ways. Over time they can add options, sure, but only to a point.

Don't misread my posts. I'm not saying that having the option of turning toasts on or off is a bad idea. Having options is great. I love my Android devices for their ability and configurability. That flexibility comes at a price, though. The more demanding the OS, the higher spec the device has to be if you want it to still perform well. MS could easily add your *one* feature without a problem. It wouldn't stop at one, though.

Can I ask what your background is regarding cpu architecture or coding? How did you come to the conclusion that more "options" means the device has to work harder. It is nothing more than simple lines of code that is required here. nothing more, nothing less.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Can I ask what your background is regarding cpu architecture or coding? How did you come to the conclusion that more "options" means the device has to work harder. It is nothing more than simple lines of code that is required here. nothing more, nothing less.
erm, not really support either side of the argument, but for this question, conservation of energy?

zc1

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Coded for 14 years -- Java, JavaScript, C++, PERL, Basic; just enough HTML to make a front-end for my store and sell some of my stuff online. Still have my own domain, but it's dormant. I'm now in a completely unrelated field. You?

What you're asking for (optional loss of function) is simple, and would cost almost nothing. It's only one request, though, of hundreds. As I said, they're not going to implement just your one suggestion.

Last edited:

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

Just simple lines if code eh? I get paid a stupid amount of money to fix what everyone seems to think are "trivial errors". It's often not as easy as it looks.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

Take it from a developer who works in an environment that has 30+ load balanced servers with 5+ tiers of testing environments, high availability and fail overs, you are not entirely correct here.

I've worked on some very heavy applications and there is usually a better, more efficient way to architect a system to handle a massive amount of throughput. These features can be added with marginal impact on performance. There is always a way, especially with embedded coding.

zc1

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I agree. There's always a better way. How often do you see that done the first time around, though? When I see what should be simple things missing from an application, my assumption (and it may be incorrect in this instance, but there's no way for us to know) is that it's not a simple fix.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans