The biggest issue to manage the email on WP8

supershi80

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I have an alice.it email account on my 920 (with Black) and I have this behavior:

If I configure my account with POP3:
a) if I delete an email on the server => this email (just received in the past) on my 920 disappears
b) if I delete an email on my 920 => this email dissappers from the server
If I configure my account in IMAP I have the same behavior.

Q1: for the point a), is possible to maintain the email on 920 also if we delete that mail from the server ?
Q2: for the point b), is possible to maintain the email on server also if we delete that mail from the 920 ?

If the answer of Q1 and Q2 will be negative then the conclusion is: NOKIA WP8 IS NOT A BUSINESS PHONE :-(

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Question for you.

Do you have a webmail at Alice.it? Usually in the setting there should be a 'Keep a copy of email on server' setting or something like that.

This is typical of all POP and IMAP email. Usually once you delete in once place it deletes everywhere if you don't preserve a copy on the server.

supershi80

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Question for you.

Do you have a webmail at Alice.it? Usually in the setting there should be a 'Keep a copy of email on server' setting or something like that.

This is typical of all POP and IMAP email. Usually once you delete in once place it deletes everywhere if you don't preserve a copy on the server.

This option doens't exist on WP8

supershi80

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
The option has to enabled in the email settings and not on the phone

I have this option on my thundibird and outlook client on Windows. Is the fist time that I hear that this option is also in the configuration of the webmail.
Please, say me where I can find this option in alice when I'm connect to it via web (by example put a screenshot here to show me) or show me, if you have another webmail (google,yahoo,....), where is it.

Thanks,
Alessandro

Last edited:

supershi80

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I make more tests with also other mail accounts (google, yahoo) but the issue remains.
I find also other discussions on other forums and this is a (big) limit/bug of WP8 that creates a lot of problem for the business use of wp device :-(

PLEASE MICROSOFT FIX IT ON WP8.1

Last edited:

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I make more test with also other account mail (google, yahoo) but the issue remains.
I find also other discussions on other forums and this is a (big) limit/bug of WP8 that creates a lot of problem for the business use of wp device :-(

PLEASE MICROSOFT FIX IT ON WP8.1

1. If you think that should be changed, you should contact Microsoft directly, posting here will not do anything.

2. I am questioning which business you are part of that would want such a behaviour. Your phone is not supposed to replace your inbox and your inbox is supposed to be managable using your phone. I only see problems with your proposed approaches.

scenario a: email that's delivered to your phone and deleted from the server would only be available in your phone. If your phone fails, gets lost or stolen that email is gone.
scenario b: email that's deleted from your phone but remains on your server has to be deleted "twice". You have no way of managing your inbox from your phone but you will have to log on to your PC to be able to manage your inbox. If I delete an email, I want it gone. I don't want to come to the office 2 hours later only to see that email again.

I have been using blackberries and iphones in our business for quite some time and I also provide support for a considerable ammount of people using their BBs and iPhones (now mostly iPhones) and no one has ever questioned this behaviour or asked me if they could configure their email to be kept on one device but deleted on the other. In fact, people expect their phones to be always in sync with our Exchange/Lotus server and usualy ask me for help when it doesn't (due to the device hanging or disabled/spotty data reception).

supershi80

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
1. If you think that should be changed, you should contact Microsoft directly, posting here will not do anything.

Yes I know, but I hope that someone of MS reads my message

2. I am questioning which business you are part of that would want such a behaviour. Your phone is not supposed to replace your inbox and your inbox is supposed to be managable using your phone. I only see problems with your proposed approaches.

Now, a lot of companies start to adopt the BYOD but this limitation can not permit to use WP devices in most case. I want exaplain with an example:
a business person downloads his working email on the WP device at home at 09:30PM then, next day, at the morning, go to the company and with his PC downloads the working email another time (and at this time the email server is empitied). In the afternoon he takes the car and goes to a customer and when tries to read an email on the WP device magically all is empty.

This behaviur appears always (both pop3 and imap account configuration) and is a big limit of WP8.
With BB (with old OS, I don't know with the latest) I don't have this issue ;-)

PS: not all the companies in the world use ms exchange (also mine) to manage the email than I don't test and talk about this solution

Last edited:

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
a business person downloads his working email on the WP device at home at 09:30PM then, next day, at the morning, go to the company and with his PC downloads the working email another time (and at this time the email server is empitied). In the afternoon he takes the car and goes to a customer and when tries to read an email on the WP device magically all is empty.

This behaviur appears always (both pop3 and imap account configuration) and is a big limit of WP8.
With BB (with old OS, I don't know with the latest) I don't have this issue ;-)

PS: not all the companies in the world use ms exchange (also mine) to manage the email than I don't test and talk about this solution

Ok, so not everyone uses EAS, I can see that. If IMAP is configured correctly it does however keep the emails in sync properly. That's how my private outlook.com account and my gmail account are set up. Outlook.com uses EAS afaik, gmail IMAP. Both accounts allow me to read an email on my phone. When I read it, it's marked read in my online account and when I am back home and I fire up Office Outlook it syncs to both of my accounts and downloads all emails from my online accounts (regardles if read or not, if it hasn't been synced to Office outlook yet, it'll download the message) and retain the email on the server. If I delete it from either of my devices (PC, Laptop or Phone) the message gets deleted from the server as well and the next time I sync my other devices (or in my case outlook has IMAP push enabled) the email disappears from them as well. It's, as I pointed out, expected behaviour. The common idea is to keep all your devices in sync, not having to worry "damn, what device is that email on?"

supershi80

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Also in Android the default email client function well (without this behaviour) and they have also the best client for mobile: K-9 that is beautifull (and open source) to archivie and manage the emails.

I hope that someone for WP will create in future a beautifull client (like K-9) or that the new client of WP8.1 will change this behaviour

(In someone knows a good client for WP without this behaviuor please update this thread ;-) )

Last edited:

supershi80

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I find a google email client for WP8: metromail that permit to archivie the mails but the problem is that is not possible to automatic archive them but everytime I should open each email and tap the archivie button.
I ask to the developer if is possible to enable the automatic function, if yes I will buy it and use google account.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte