The Dumb things of Windows Phone OS

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Mine is simple.

No CalDAV support for the Calendar app. Anyone working for a company that isn't on Exchange, 365 or Google Apps for Business is SOL with Windows Mobile.

I'd throw in that there's no local people or calendar accounts either, but on Android I find that to be more trouble than it's worth. Still it makes several IMAP and CalDAV wortharounds possible on Android, would do the same for Windows Mobile.

elitelibra

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
We need background app support
Default app support for browsers, etc
Task manager for mobile
Game streaming to phone
More exclusive windows phone features
Live wallpaper

Last edited:

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm running a WP 8.1 Phone with 512MB of RAM and do get the "Loading" and "Resuming" screens while switching apps too,but not for 5-7 seconds. Maybe for 2-3 seconds. I don't think that can be helped.
I highly suggest switching to the UC Browser or the stock IE browser on your phone. Opera mini is quite buggy.
I really can multitask on my phone though,I don't think you should be having such problems on a Lumia 920. :/

The backup always works. It takes a while cuz it backs up your phone settings,apps installed and pretty much everything that you've customized. But,it always works.

Opera mini does not reload when you open it. It stays at exactly where you left it. Why can't it be so on IE? That's what I mean.

Backup works only when it feels like. I understand the time it takes to backup everything but 80% of the time it fails at 98%

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
My biggest peev at the moment is the inability to force a sync of my pictures to my onedrive account retrospectively. How hard can it be to add some smarts to the app to do comparisons of the content in both places and sync up the missing ones. This should also be allowed to sync high res photo's over 3/4g mobile networks, not just WiFi networks as a lot of developed countries now have decent mobile data packs, or at least off the options to users please.

Well said. You beat me to this.

icemint

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I tried moving the photos via the file manager and it SUCKS BIGTIME.

After selecting hundred photos to move, when I select the ?move button?..voila! It doesnt display my current albums!!!

There goes your ?dont blame the os if you dont know that blah blah?

icemint

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Hey Great harrie,

Ive tried your suggestion, using that mighty file manager app.

And guess what, after selecting hundred of photos, and tapping that ?move button? it does not display my current albums! Great eh?!

There goes your ?dont put the blame in the os when you dont know blah blah?.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
How do you figure that? It is free.

I can say Windows for small device is free looking at the hardware you got with for a specific price, its the same as what you would get for a device without OS, but for WP I can't be sure, since other phone on similar price range have double the specifications, equally good camera and build quality. Sure the other phone have to compensate for their lagdroid OS, but if Windows Phone can perform as well as double the spec Android phone, WP should have cost half of that phone if the OS is free, probably it will sell better.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
You'd be amazed but most iOS devices can really only have about one tab open in Safari, and switching tabs forces the previous page to be reloaded.

Instead of the resuming screen (which I cant say I see a lot of), iOS apps flat out stop and you have to wait for the whole app to re load from scratch. I've had this on my 4S, and my iPad. $600 equipment rendered useless. Try copying text from Safari into OneNote. Absolute hell. I've never had to deal with that on Windows Phone thank god. I'll take the resuming screen any day.

What drives me bonkers in WP is OneNote. I love OneNote so much and the app on wp8.1 is so barebones. It is always open instantly though so I cant complain too much. I wish you could pin notebooks to the start screen like the tablet app.

Background Downloading in IE and other download apps. It doesn't exist and it means you have to stay on the download page before the task completes. You also can't open tabs in the background on IE which is stupid.

Is iPhone really so bad, especially with the latest iOS and iPhone 6? 4S is like years ago so is like Windows Phone 7 years ago which is crap as hell too. I have never been an iPhone user so I'm not sure. Perhaps some other iPhone users here can verify if that's true especially with the app reloading from scratch and copying of text on iPhone 6??

That said, I really hope the next W10 can be as versatile as Android.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I can say Windows for small device is free looking at the hardware you got with for a specific price, its the same as what you would get for a device without OS, but for WP I can't be sure, since other phone on similar price range have double the specifications, equally good camera and build quality. Sure the other phone have to compensate for their lagdroid OS, but if Windows Phone can perform as well as double the spec Android phone, WP should have cost half of that phone if the OS is free, probably it will sell better.

I wish I could understand what you mean..:)

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Hey Great harrie,

Ive tried your suggestion, using that mighty file manager app.

And guess what, after selecting hundred of photos, and tapping that ?move button? it does not display my current albums! Great eh?!

There goes your ?dont put the blame in the os when you dont know blah blah?.

After selecting the move button you're not allowed to move the files in the same folder! That's simply not possible :eck:

When you click that move/copy button, you are required to go back into the previous location by clicking it's name at the top of the app's screen. It looks like this"🏠 > sd card > pictures > etc....". There you must click either the "Home 🏠 icon" or any other location following it!

If the native Files app looks irrelevant then you should go for other 3rd-party apps like the well-known Aerize explorer OR Files&Folders. But their full version is paid. Hence, Files is better with a clean and minimalistic UI.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
First post here....

Been a WP user since last June and I am fairly happy with my Lumia 925 as one of my two phones (LG G pro2 is my other phone). The UI is the most modern looking compared to the other main smartphone platforms and a pleasure to use generally. Love the tile based interface and pivot menus, things you get used to very quickly. No complains about the quality of hardware, camera. display, sound and other basic stuff.

Having said that, there are some really fundamental issues plaguing the system, stuff that you take for granted on an Android phone (Havent used IOS enough to have an informed opinion).

IE , what else can I say that hasn't been said like a million times. The constant reloading of tabs, even if you have nothing on in the background is beyond annoying. What is the point in having tabs when every time you navigate back to them, you are greeted with a reloading page? I can understand memory constraints but this is taking it too far. Android almost never closes tabs, een if you have 10+ tabs open. It really spoils the browsing experience for me. Browsing is something I do a lot on my smartphones so this is a real issue. I was hoping it woul be resolved through an update, but doesnt look like it will.

Website compatibility, especially with desktop sites is extremely poor. IE cannot even load the desktop version for MANY sites, far more than other smartphone platforms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb