They got their Priv, where is our Lumia?

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
you can prevent that by changing some settings which are by default enabled. Google does give u option to uncheck this. just try to bing it ;)

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
WP is already dead. They call it Windows 10 Mobile now. And like Dan R. has said for some time, Universal Apps (which they have been pushing and touting for a while now) makes zero sense without them having phones. Phones with Windows are here to stay.

They could call it Fluffy-Pink-Unicorns-OS and it would still make no difference. Call it Windows Phone, call it Windows 10 Mobile, the result is the same. You can rename it, it won't change. A rose by any other name and all of that.

As for what Daniel said, I disagree with him. Universal apps can still make sense across PCs, tablets and even the Xbox. The mobile doesn't factor that much into it because most mobile-developed apps are NOT developed with anything but a mobile experience in mind. Snapchat or Instagram (yes, I know they announced a UA for it but let it be a reality first and see what limitations it'll have on PCs first before we call it a true UA) or Tinder or alike are not developed with anything but mobile in mind. Developers will therefore still have no interest in the concept as their target audience would not be PC users but mobile users.
Well, not to mention we've yet to see any boom of UAs at all. Even developers on Windows Phone aren't massively adopting the Universal app system and Windows 10 has been out for months. I don't see any urge from Windows developers, let alone from Android or iOS developers. Not to mention that the Windows Store itself is far from being something most Windows PC users even use.

Yes, and that was what led to Nokia being let go. They will continue making their own hardware. They have a 2 year plan to try and kickstart market share. Now their market share in europe and other places is constantly growing, so they wouldn't axe it. With their current plan there's no reason why it shouldn't keep growing in europe and likely start growing here.

The recent low sales were expected as they have nothing really new to offer or sell. Recent results show that Windows market share actually hasn't budged in North America. Which could be because people are holding off for the new hardware or windows 10.

Don't mix Nokia with this. Nokia has nothing to do with Microsoft since the 25th April 2014. They're shutting down Microsoft Mobile, that's not Nokia ;)

Now that I've said that, where did you see the "2 year plan"? I'm assuming that's speculation because Microsoft never addressed that at all. And market share in Europe isn't constantly increasing. It's pretty stagnant actually. They grow in this country this trimester but go down in another at the same time. And Microsoft doesn't care about a specific market (and when they do, it's the US market, not Europe). The fact is, at 2.5% marketshare and decreasing, Microsoft's investors won't want to keep "trying to kickstart" something that has flopped thrice.

And no, the low sales have nothing to do with "have nothing really new to offer or sell". Windows Phone sales were NEVER based on flagship devices. It's budget phones like the Nokia 520, 530, 630 etc that captured any WP marketshare. And budget offers Microsoft kept putting out in the 4xx line, 5xx and 6xx line. People simply didn't buy those phones. I'm convinced that's because people who bought those before did it for the trust in the Nokia brand. Others will disagree. Only market research could give us more concrete evidence but I think I'm right, otherwise you wouldn't have seen such a massive decline in both marketshare and sales from the moment Nokia left until today. I don't believe at all anyone if "holding off for the new hardware" and even less for Windows 10. Most people don't care about any of that. Certainly not the people who buy budget phones.

I can write my friend an email in gmail about wanting to start going bowling. 3 or 4 emails later, I will begin seeing targeted ads for bowling lessons. I have never seen ms do this.

I believe MS mines to an extent, mostly bing, but they aren't actively crawling your emails and texts (hangouts) to spy on you

Gmail scans your emails for trigger words to aim ads at you. That's true. And Google is pretty open about that. And you can disable all of that on Google Settings under "Ads Settings". You can turn everything off and ads will no longer be served to you based on any information Google has about you.

Microsoft also scans your emails. For example, if you write an email and mention the word "attach" or similar, before sending it, it will ask you if you attached anything to the email or if you didn't forget it. Oh and if you think Microsoft doesn't know what you do in their services, the OneDrive debacle showed it. If they knew exactly what people were uploading to OneDrive, that means they were snooping around your private cloud account. All companies will harvest your data. Some of them - like Google - are just more honest about it because it's their business to do it. Google sells ads. That's their business. If you don't want to have ads served or alike, you simply opt out of just outright don't use Google products ;)

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
you can prevent that by changing some settings which are by default enabled. Google does give u option to uncheck this. just try to bing it ;)

I'm on android now temporarily, used exclusively for 4 years... Your right you can uncheck a box, doesn't mean s&8t.

Just today I tried to use Google maps for nav and it would not let me proceed unless I turned location history and search history on. Do I want to go back and uncheck every time after???

I don't need Google logging my damn movements the moment I forget to uncheck their "optional box"

You can Google it.

As far as onedrive, drop box, Google drive or any other cloud service... Simple, I don't use them. I keep everything encrypted on local storage.

Last I checked, Windows store didn't have a flashlight app that needed access to my txt, email, contacts, Mic, camera, gallery, or GPS location.

By nature android is an open backdoor for any script kiddy with half a brain.

And don't give me the bs about "well with the new awesome marshmallow you can selective turn off access for apps" big LOL.

It amazes me that android boys have the audacity to call ios fans sheep.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm on android now temporarily, used exclusively for 4 years... Your right you can uncheck a box, doesn't mean s&8t.

Just today I tried to use Google maps for nav and it would not let me proceed unless I turned location history and search history on. Do I want to go back and uncheck every time after???

I don't need Google logging my damn movements the moment I forget to uncheck their "optional box"

You can Google it.

As far as onedrive, drop box, Google drive or any other cloud service... Simple, I don't use them. I keep everything encrypted on local storage.

Last I checked, Windows store didn't have a flashlight app that needed access to my txt, email, contacts, Mic, camera, gallery, or GPS location.

By nature android is an open backdoor for any script kiddy with half a brain.

And don't give me the bs about "well with the new awesome marshmallow you can selective turn off access for apps" big LOL.

It amazes me that android boys have the audacity to call ios fans sheep.

Marshmallows allows permissions to be denied in apps now. Soooo...

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Also, doesn't it use Google? So how do you have "enough of Google" if it uses Google?

It uses Android which has been completely taken apart and made 100% secure, no apps tracking you, no data leaks, end to end encryption. The reason I dislike Google is the invasion of privacy and data theft left right and centre. If there is a windows equivalent im all ears!

How much is an iPhone 6s (something that "dear liza" would be proud of) off contract? the 950 is not that much cheaper either.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by poopyfinger

My problem with Priv is the blackberry CEO says they are getting out of devices. Maybe depending on how well this does they may continue. But that doesn't speak well for future support.

This is the reason im not jumping in with the Priv. Hope BB starts gaining back its reputation as a secure, solid solution for SMB/Enterprise - really want something secure and feel Microsoft is at least 12 months away from a solid solution. Guess the waiting game has to continue for a little while longer.

Last edited:

mousz

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Waiting is fine if you don't want something half-baked... except Microsoft will be both late and still half-baked.

krayziehustler

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
WP is already dead. They call it Windows 10 Mobile now. And like Dan R. has said for some time, Universal Apps (which they have been pushing and touting for a while now) makes zero sense without them having phones. Phones with Windows are here to stay.

Not necessarily. With all the bridge technologies MS has now anything is possible. The main point being that a Google Play infused app will come out with everything Google replaced with MS. I can totally see Windows Apps going through a bridge and coming out an Android AOSP app for mobile.

anon(5061193)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Why is it the Priv or the 950XL?? Te Priv is just an Android phone.. you have many choices if you want an Android... I am using a LG V10 until the 950XL comes out... We all have been waiting so long and what is another month?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
After reading the Priv reviews, there's no way I'm getting one at least. $700 seems overpriced, to put it mildly. Unless you absolutely want a physical keyboard (and in that case, why would you want a 950XL anyway), I don't see why you'd get this phone.

I thought the 950XL felt overpriced at $649 too though, with an unproven OS. But the total package seems better (save, again, for app availability).

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
After reading the Priv reviews, there's no way I'm getting one at least. $700 seems overpriced, to put it mildly. Unless you absolutely want a physical keyboard (and in that case, why would you want a 950XL anyway), I don't see why you'd get this phone.

I thought the 950XL felt overpriced at $649 too though, with an unproven OS. But the total package seems better (save, again, for app availability).

There really is so much more going on than just the keyboard. The build alone is definitely top notch. Frankly this is one time I'm glad to not care for review

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Don't mix Nokia with this. Nokia has nothing to do with Microsoft since the 25th April 2014. They're shutting down Microsoft Mobile, that's not Nokia ;)

Now that I've said that, where did you see the "2 year plan"? I'm assuming that's speculation because Microsoft never addressed that at all. And market share in Europe isn't constantly increasing. It's pretty stagnant actually. They grow in this country this trimester but go down in another at the same time. And Microsoft doesn't care about a specific market (and when they do, it's the US market, not Europe). The fact is, at 2.5% marketshare and decreasing, Microsoft's investors won't want to keep "trying to kickstart" something that has flopped thrice.

And no, the low sales have nothing to do with "have nothing really new to offer or sell". Windows Phone sales were NEVER based on flagship devices. It's budget phones like the Nokia 520, 530, 630 etc that captured any WP marketshare. And budget offers Microsoft kept putting out in the 4xx line, 5xx and 6xx line. People simply didn't buy those phones. I'm convinced that's because people who bought those before did it for the trust in the Nokia brand. Others will disagree. Only market research could give us more concrete evidence but I think I'm right, otherwise you wouldn't have seen such a massive decline in both marketshare and sales from the moment Nokia left until today. I don't believe at all anyone if "holding off for the new hardware" and even less for Windows 10. Most people don't care about any of that. Certainly not the people who buy budget phones.

Well depends on what rock you have been living under, hopefully a polycarbonate one. ;) Satya himself wrote about it in a giant post. 2 year plan with 6 phones per year. This was sort of interpreted as abandoning in 2 years in which Microsoft replied saying they will continue making phones but want OEMs to take over with the majority of phones. They will simply showcase the technology. And I have posted links in other threads that show market share frozen in North America and growing in Europe. Of course Europe matters, revenue is revenue. Most companies want to be globally popular. But yes North America matters because a lot of developers with popular apps are from within North America.

But things change. Take Snapchat. It is starting to do social type integration similar to facebook and a lot of snapchatters are really against that. It was enough to spark a news article in a popular news service in Canada. So something like that could bring a popular app down as they look for alternatives. But snap chat is definitely heading to Windows as it was mentioned by them on Twitter, but I believe they are only going to do it for Windows 10. So hey by the time it comes it may be abandoned and the next best thing will show up.

For Microsoft it could go either way. They would prefer to gain a higher mobile percentage, but their business model allows for them to not worry so much if it doesn't happen. But they are definitely investing quite a lot of money into it. People don't realize how much work is going into their developer tools in order to be able to get apps onto any platform. The future is not about the device you have which is true. People are more likely to buy devices that have their apps, but if developers had tools to develop for most big platforms this could at least remove the monopoly Apple and Google have on the market. It would allow for more choices for users without worrying about apps. Heck, Ms could even include Tizen into its developer tools or anything else that comes along. It's already tough to develop for 2 platforms and let alone 3. Then there's companies trying to spark newer ones. It's chaotic to develop for so many platforms so Microsoft is targeting the developers and trying to make their lives easier. Imagine building apps for any platform using only 1 language. And that's really what these tools are trying to accomplish. You can use C# and write apps for IOS. No need to learn a new language.

You honestly can't believe that Microsoft's solution to the app gap is Windows 10 Universal model? No it's the developer tools. The Windows 10 universal model is what is going to be used to draw more people to MS products and give something unique over the others. We can't really predict what happens but in the next few years there will be changes no doubt.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Time will tell. We are heading into an area where potentially devices will be able to run any app from any platform. App gap will no longer exist, then it will come down to OS and hardware preference. Advantage MS has is 95% usage in the business world. They are playing the long game here, the devices like the 950 are not part of that picture, even the Surface Phone will be a first generation, will be Generation 3 before the true potential is unlocked. Hope im still alive then!

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Will I return it for the 950XL? That will be determined in my 14 day trial of this phone, but nothing is making me want to. And that's not a bad thing.

I'm putting money on your a lucky guy, 14 days from now I seriously believe the 950/950XL will be released on Friday Nov. 20th.. Win 10 RTM seems set, Nov 12th release of final Win 10 to carriers and Phone release the 20th.... Bet my house on it? No, but from what I've been reading it seems right.

Feeling more confident about my call on the 20th..lol..
Sources say AT&T is set to release the Lumia 950 on Friday, November 20 | Windows Central

Y2HBK

May 16, 2013
Visit site
There really is so much more going on than just the keyboard. The build alone is definitely top notch. Frankly this is one time I'm glad to not care for review

This seems to be a mixed bag. I come across just as many reviews that state the Priv is "gorgeous" as I do that state the device "feels cheap."

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
This seems to be a mixed bag. I come across just as many reviews that state the Priv is "gorgeous" as I do that state the device "feels cheap."

Yeah it's a preference choice and by far no BlackBerry fan. I love phones and tech. I've had a lot of phones and this has impressed me a lot. Next to if not more than the Note 4 I had.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Sorry but that's just crap, how many times did great phones get the "feels cheap" review?? Like every great phone must be made of metal or have a glass back, I was a Galaxy S user from the S2 thru 5 and if I had a dollar for every review that bashed it for it's plastic back I could get pretty liquored up, all were great phones, if it feels top notch and gorgeous to you then trust your feel..