They won't replace my Band 2 - out of warranty....

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I purchased a Band 2 in Dec 2015. In June 2016 the strap had a tear in it - MS replaced it free of charge. In Jan 2017 the new one, the strap tears. It si that defect we all have read about. I contact MS - they said the warranty from the old one carries over to the new one, meaning it ended Dec 2016. But when you get a new product - don't you get a new warranty? At least for the year. Why would I 'repurchase' a device with a known defect? Also - we all know there is not Band 3....otherwise, I would wait.

Here is the chat message from MS

Upon checking, our system shows the band is already out of warranty.
6:30 pm
Julee
The warranty of your first band is actually carried over on to the replacement.
6:30 pm
Due to inventory constraints, we can no longer exchange Microsoft Band 2 devices that are out of warranty. In case you might still be interested to use this kind of device, our alternative way is to may be repurchase this device at the retailer of your choice. Please also make sure you check for inventory prior to visiting any retailer as supplies for Band devices may already be limited.

Do you think this is fair? Or that's just the way it goes - be happy I got a replacement one?

Thoughts on what to do next?

Thanks,

Mr. V:unhappy:

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I think they did their part - they made you whole by replacing the band during the warranty period.

I brought mine into the store last month and they gave me a full refund - in cash no less. I left the store made whole but unsatisfied. I liked my band. They just couldn't make the strap stop tearing. Nothing else like it though. I have actually contemplated buying another band online at Amazon, even though I know it wouldn't last.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I get what you are saying, but if my band tore 20 day earlier, it would have been under warranty. They would replace. it.
I thought if you got something replaced, the warranty would reset....like it was new.

But I also get your point - so thanks for that!

I think they did their part - they made you whole by replacing the band during the warranty period.

I brought mine into the store last month and they gave me a full refund - in cash no less. I left the store made whole but unsatisfied. I liked my band. They just couldn't make the strap stop tearing. Nothing else like it though. I have actually contemplated buying another band online at Amazon, even though I know it wouldn't last.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
My experience working for AT&T several years ago was that the 1 year warranty on phones and accessories started from the original purchase date. It didn't matter how many replacements were given in that year, but the warranty expiration date would never change.

I'm not sure of Microsoft's policy. I purchased my Band 2 at the beginning of November 2015. I had it replaced in June and again in July because it stopped taking a charge. Maybe it was because I re-registered the new serial number on my account, but my account at https://account.microsoft.com/devices currently shows my warranty goes through July 29, 2017 (21 months after my initial purchase). I sent it in for replacement at the beginning of December, and have been waiting for about 6 weeks for a warranty refund to be issued.

Last edited:

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Things worked out well for you. You might want to consider having your new band 2 tear before then warranty ends!

I went to the account site - but there is mention of my warranty date...have to go on what the MS customer service said...
I have to talk to a manager, if that fails, then go to arbitration.... anyone done this?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/arbitration/default.aspx

My experience working for AT&T several years ago was that the 1 year warranty on phones and accessories started from the original purchase date. It didn't matter how many replacements were given in that year, but the warranty expiration date would never change.

I'm not sure of Microsoft's policy. I purchased my Band 2 at the beginning of November 2015. I had it replaced in June and again in July because it stopped taking a charge. Maybe it was because I re-registered the new serial number on my account, but my account at https://account.microsoft.com/devices currently shows my warranty goes through July 29, 2017 (21 months after my initial purchase). I sent it in for replacement at the end of December, and have been waiting for about 6 weeks for a warranty refund to be issued.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I received an email that Microsoft is issuing a refund check for my Band 2 warranty due to being out of stock. This is 6 weeks to the day that the warranty center received my Band 2.

tool6996

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I just got off a chat with them for a dead battery. I got my original Band 2 in Dec 2015, I had 4 replacements, my last one died today with battery issue. I got this one after the band ripped on my 4th band just 2 days before warranty expired. Their answer, go to Best Buy or Amazon and buy a new one. Poor and depressing. Guess now I dump my 950 XL and move to Android.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
4 of them?!
MS ability to produce and abandon hardware is just a bad sign. Why trust them?
Wait till you spend thousands on a Surface X and they stop supporting them becasue Android's market share is too great.

I wonder if Window with go the same way as the Amiga? Unless they have a break through...

I just got off a chat with them for a dead battery. I got my original Band 2 in Dec 2015, I had 4 replacements, my last one died today with battery issue. I got this one after the band ripped on my 4th band just 2 days before warranty expired. Their answer, go to Best Buy or Amazon and buy a new one. Poor and depressing. Guess now I dump my 950 XL and move to Android.

LeiChat

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I bought my fiancee one and it has been replaced twice. Same symptoms each time, it appears to be fully charged but turns off after a short while. When you plug it in you get that Welcome Back message.
The last time it was replaced they said they might send a cheque instead, which although she likes the band would have been better. It's failing again and it is now outside of their extended replacement warranty period. :( When she rang they advised she'd been sent a refurbished one rather than a new one. If she'd had known that was going to happen I think she would have pushed for the refund instead.
Sadly in the UK we don't have Microsoft Stores so we can't walk in and make a fuss in the hope of getting some money back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786