**Thinking of buying the Microsoft Lumia 640XL please give me your experiences with it be it good or

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Eire what is the cost of a 640XL in Ireland?

Since I have jumped to a larger screen I can't go back to any phone under 5 inches.
Even 5 inches is starting to get small for me these days.
My Asus phone is 5.5 and I think the XL might be about right for my desires at 5.7

Its ?250 I think that works out at $270

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been using a 640 XL for a few days and I like it a lot. I have not tried the 520, so excuse my reply for not being exactly on topic.

I'm moving from a 1520 primary phone with a 635 secondary, to a 640 XL primary with a 640 secondary--and I'm quite happy overall.

I'm trying to get off the flagship treadmill (kinda have to, as a T-Mo customer :eck:), and I think the 640's hit the mark--so far.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Wow this post has helped me..to decide too.
same moving from lumia 520 to lumia 640xl...

Just one thing is killing me... If i install games on sd card i.e. Class 10 card wil games sound slutter or b out of sync. . It happend wid me on my trusted nokia lumia 520 ..asphalt 8.

I'm happy that this post helped you in regards the class 10 sd card issue i don't know I suppose someone would surely help you out on this issue. I suppose since its a newer phone it may support class 10??

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I've been using a 640 XL for a few days and I like it a lot. I have not tried the 520, so excuse my reply for not being exactly on topic.

I'm moving from a 1520 primary phone with a 635 secondary, to a 640 XL primary with a 640 secondary--and I'm quite happy overall.

I'm trying to get off the flagship treadmill (kinda have to, as a T-Mo customer :eck:), and I think the 640's hit the mark--so far.

Nope go off topic if you like I suppose its really open to everyone thinking of moving to the 640XL. I'm happy your having great results with it.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a friend who recently moved from a Lumia 920 to a 640 and he is very happy with it.

A second baby meant economies had to be made, but the general march of technical improvement means it's more of a side-grade than a downgrade. From having handled it, I can say it feels really nice in the hands, so much so that I was tempted though I run the 930 myself. It feels good and solid without being heavy, so you won't feel you have to curate it. It is not as stylish and sexy as the 735, but I'm sure, having read your other thread, that you'll like it.

You were right by the way to pass on the 930 - and I can say that, because I own one and have not been plagued by 'issues' beyond a reluctance to wake up on double-tap of the screen. Amalthea, for that is her name, is beautiful, elegant, buttery smooth, has an outstanding camera and still catches the eye, but she is also too thick. She does not sit in the hand well and those sharp edges can trip the fingers.

I would say that if you don't want to wait for the autumn, the 640 is the way to go.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it and thanks for asking. :)

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
IIRC, class 10 is the minimum Microsoft recommended. I use a Samsung 64GB Evo MicroSDXC UHS-I Grade (link below) in my HP Stream tablet and after the old SD card I had from my Lumia 620, the performance increase was dramatic. A good quality SD card is definitely worth the money.

Over the years I learned that when it comes to technical things, it's best to distrust the cheap option. They're not all the same and it's worth spending a little more without being slavish to the original manufacturer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Mem...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3162415

pureview_lvr

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Just as the title says I'm looking to upgrade from my Nokia Lumia 520 and I want to get a phone that's been just as reliable and long lasting battery life as my 520. Let me know your thoughts. I am thinking of getting it in Orange.

Thanks so much.
?ire

Long lasting battery life and reliable.
Previously it was Lumia 720 and Lumia 1320 as of my experience

But as of now
Lumia 640xl will be a good choice,
I havent used it but lots of reviews says that its a good mid ranger device.
Its smaller bro 640 is also a good device if you comfortable with compact devices.

And one more how did you survive with phone that doesn't have flash and front cam...with your 520.........just kidding....
I mean go and upgrade quickly.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Long lasting battery life and reliable.

Previously it was Lumia 720 and Lumia 1320 as of my experience

But as of now

Lumia 640xl will be a good choice,

I havent used it but lots of reviews says that its a good mid ranger device.

Its smaller bro 640 is also a good device if you comfortable with compact devices.

And one more how did you survive with phone that doesn't have flash and front cam...with your 520.........just kidding....

I mean go and upgrade quickly.

Well I'm not really onto selfies they are a waste of time lol. I found the Lumia 520 in low light conditions with Lumia camera pretty good. Seriously I am very happy with it, I just have it now over two years and am looking for an upgrade,same OS but have better ram and equalizers as my Lumia 520 as u know it don't support equalizers and i have had to encode my music to 320kbps to get a greater crisp sound, at the start it was a little cumbersome but now I don't mind it as I've gotten used to it. I'm seriously excited after hearing all the great reviews of it so far, even the negatives I now know what to look out for. Thanks for your reply. :)

Oh ya just to add I don't really use skype but when I do its usually free voice calls so the front cam isn't really a selling point to me its more a bonus. Nice though to have full hd on it though ha ha

pureview_lvr

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Well I'm not really onto selfies they are a waste of time lol. I found the Lumia 520 in low light conditions with Lumia camera pretty good. Seriously I am very happy with it, I just have it now over two years and am looking for an upgrade,same OS but have better ram and equalizers as my Lumia 520 as u know it don't support equalizers and i have had to encode my music to 320kbps to get a greater crisp sound, at the start it was a little cumbersome but now I don't mind it as I've gotten used to it. I'm seriously excited after hearing all the great reviews of it so far, even the negatives I now know what to look out for. Thanks for your reply. :)

Oh ya just to add I don't really use skype but when I do its usually free voice calls so the front cam isn't really a selling point to me its more a bonus. Nice though to have full hd on it though ha ha

Ohhhh.At last I said I was just kidding lol
Only want to say that buying 640xl
Will be great choice. Nothing else
Normally people loves selfie phones and flash on cam.And its really helpful in some cases.
You don't want selfies, skype video calls......no big deal.

Yeh you are right in low light condition
Lumia camera is good enough if we set shutter speed to 1 sec. And adjust other settings.
As far as i know flash oprating range for Lumia is 1 to 4 meter. May be I am right.from lower to higher Lumia.
Its not enough to capture long distance images clearly.
I am talking about Lumia phones lower and mid rangers with f/2.4 aperature (and flash.)
But for nearer objects photos or short distance photos flash is helpful in low light rather than just night mode or shuuter speed setting to 1 sec.
As we all know night and low light photography is best on Lumia with f/1.9 phones like Lumia 720,730,735.
And 640xl also f/2.0
And there is no doubt about pureview cams.
Certainly Lumia 520 neither have f/1.9, no flash, no pureview its a model with f/2.4 ,I also have Lumia 625 and 1320
I would rather say that both sucks in low light but good in normal conditions. And their front cams are also not good enough.
That's why I said how did you managed with your phone even it haven't flash.
Don't know what is your mind set up or definition for good low light photography.
But anyway enjoy buying your new device lol

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I have a friend who recently moved from a Lumia 920 to a 640 and he is very happy with it.

A second baby meant economies had to be made, but the general march of technical improvement means it's more of a side-grade than a downgrade. From having handled it, I can say it feels really nice in the hands, so much so that I was tempted though I run the 930 myself. It feels good and solid without being heavy, so you won't feel you have to curate it. It is not as stylish and sexy as the 735, but I'm sure, having read your other thread, that you'll like it.

You were right by the way to pass on the 930 - and I can say that, because I own one and have not been plagued by 'issues' beyond a reluctance to wake up on double-tap of the screen. Amalthea, for that is her name, is beautiful, elegant, buttery smooth, has an outstanding camera and still catches the eye, but she is also too thick. She does not sit in the hand well and those sharp edges can trip the fingers.

I would say that if you don't want to wait for the autumn, the 640 is the way to go.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it and thanks for asking. :)

I think ill get this phone as I'm liking all the feedback. I'm getting the monster version ha ha my dad has the Samsung galaxy s4 and its 5.1' and the 640XL is 5.7' so I was looking at the samsung and she is gonna be a beast of a phone and with carl zeiss to boot oh I seriously cannot wait!!

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
IIRC, class 10 is the minimum Microsoft recommended. I use a Samsung 64GB Evo MicroSDXC UHS-I Grade (link below) in my HP Stream tablet and after the old SD card I had from my Lumia 620, the performance increase was dramatic. A good quality SD card is definitely worth the money.

Over the years I learned that when it comes to technical things, it's best to distrust the cheap option. They're not all the same and it's worth spending a little more without being slavish to the original manufacturer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Mem...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3162695

Yes I agree often cheaper is not best but I have to say for a mid range even lower ended phone such as my current driver the Lumia 520 I have been well impressed with it, still as fresh as the day I bought it over two years ago. I have found the same can be said about cheaper dvd rw discs. Often the more expensive the better the read/burn and they last a bit longer (with due care of course) thanks for your feedback :)

Last edited:

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I am using Lumia 640XL and its a nice gadget. recently I made a video using Hyperlapse Mobile :[video]https://youtu.be/H-sPuYsFO_M[/url]

Omg dude that video is insane!! Did you do that within the phone or did u use a pc to edit the video? Have to say the before video capture was crystal clear. Nice views of your country too, looks nice there. Thanks for your video and your feedback.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Ohhhh.At last I said I was just kidding lol
Only want to say that buying 640xl
Will be great choice. Nothing else
Normally people loves selfie phones and flash on cam.And its really helpful in some cases.
You don't want selfies, skype video calls......no big deal.

Yeh you are right in low light condition
Lumia camera is good enough if we set shutter speed to 1 sec. And adjust other settings.
As far as i know flash oprating range for Lumia is 1 to 4 meter. May be I am right.from lower to higher Lumia.
Its not enough to capture long distance images clearly.
I am talking about Lumia phones lower and mid rangers with f/2.4 aperature (and flash.)
But for nearer objects photos or short distance photos flash is helpful in low light rather than just night mode or shuuter speed setting to 1 sec.
As we all know night and low light photography is best on Lumia with f/1.9 phones like Lumia 720,730,735.
And 640xl also f/2.0
And there is no doubt about pureview cams.
Certainly Lumia 520 neither have f/1.9, no flash, no pureview its a model with f/2.4 ,I also have Lumia 625 and 1320
I would rather say that both sucks in low light but good in normal conditions. And their front cams are also not good enough.
That's why I said how did you managed with your phone even it haven't flash.
Don't know what is your mind set up or definition for good low light photography.
But anyway enjoy buying your new device lol

I don't use my phone as a camera but the flash will definitely come in handy as I wont have to fix the lighting after the pic is taken, are pics really that bad though on the 640XL? A little disappointing but it wont be too much of an issue for me but ya that's not good :( ill mostly be using my phone for media music/mytube and using facebook but its nice to have a better cam then what's rocking my 520 at the moment. :)

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Using the 640XL as my daily runner. It's a fantastic phone.

I get approx 2 days usage with a single charge even with a lot of usage.

Omg your kidding me that's serious usage time!! Wow now that's brilliant stats. It has a 300mah sure and the many video reviews I've watched says it lasts long but two days between charges for such a powerful phone is great!! Thank you so much.

madapo

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Hello. I have Now Microsoft Lumia 640 XL.
This device is amazing. Before 640 XL i have it lumia 535. AND 535 Sucks vs amazing 640 XL. Touch is amazing. Very good sound. Very good colors and Camera (13mp and 5mp front). BATTERY is ALL THE MONEY. Amazing battery life. And i have buy Cyan version 640 XL. +1

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb