Thinking of returning to WP - how are the audio book and podcast apps?

DepletedQuark

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been away from WP for quite some time now, but I'm kinda interested in getting back. The problem is, the last time I used WP as my main device - the podcast apps sucked. And I seem to recall that the audio book apps were bad as well. Have things changed? On Android I use Pocket Casts for podcasts and Smart AudioBook player, two awesome apps.

What do you guys think?

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
There is a built in podcast app now. Havnt used it much, but worked well for me. I have no input for audio books though, I've never tried.

Matthew Blair

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
The podcast apps are bountiful and all are very good.

The audio book situation is more clunky. There are good apps for it, but they normally involve uploading the files to a OneDrive account and accessing them that way.

That's my experience.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm not the biggest fan of the default podcast app, but Podcast Lounge has been great so far. Back on Android I was a fan of Podkicker Pro and used Downcast on iOS - Podcast Lounge is comparable to both of those.

DepletedQuark

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so it seems the podcast situation is sorted out!

The podcast apps are bountiful and all are very good.

The audio book situation is more clunky. There are good apps for it, but they normally involve uploading the files to a OneDrive account and accessing them that way.

That's my experience.

Hmm, I guess I can live with the extra steps of accessing the files from Onedrive as long as the app/apps are functional aside from that.

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
As an ex-Android user who liked and used Pocket Casts I find Podcast Lounge just as good. It can auto-download podcasts so they are ready to go when you launch the app and can intelligently delete downloads you have listened to and according to a time-frame you have set. I have it auto-download the most recent two podcasts of each subscription and have set it to delete downloads after two weeks if I haven't listened to them. Adding podcasts to a playlist is simple and backing up your settings and current status to One Drive is possible. Can't think of anything else I'd like to see.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99