thinking of upgrading from lumia 925 to 950 or 950xl

jimmy s1

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
i do like the size of 950, but want to know what are the real life differences in the way the phone handles daily.
battery wise, heating wise, use of continuum

can anyone please elaborate

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I have both of these. The 950 sits nicely in the hand and isn't (screen wise) much smaller. The 950 is good as a daily device and battery, depending on usage, will go the day. As with all devices with multiple core chips, heat is always going to be an issue, although with use - calls texts emails and the like it's pretty good. Shut down a few background apps and it stays relatively cool. Continuum is a great toy to play with, BUT, you have to remember that it is basically a beta at the moment. It's very glitchy when wireless, and through the dock, it is markedly better. It has gotten better over time, and with OEM's jumping on board, developement of it should see something rather cool. I've used it a lot in business meetings, and many have been impressed.

The 950xl is also a very good device, if you can get past the uber conservative looks of it! It's dull, dull and dull. I guess the 950 being smaller it doesn't have the impact. I love my 950xl's. They are pretty much the same size as an old note 3. I know that because in my car, it fits perfectly into my old note 3 holder! It is weighty, but at least you know it's in your pocket. As for heat, well, there's an 8 core chip in the 950xl, and obviously, that is going to generate some serious heat when you cane it. The 950xl has some form of liquid cooling ( cool eh? ), and as a result of that, the heat is dissipated across the back of the device, not in the bottom right corner, like the icon and 930. Great in the winter. The battery, as with all devices, lasts as long as it lasts. It's a very subjective point. I use mine all day for phone stuff, as I do on my 950. Again, games and heavy weight processing will have a marked effect. Continuum on the 950xl doesn't glitch as much on a wireless system. I use mine wirelessly on a 50" Samsung tv, and it does quite well. Despite the size of the 950xl, mouse pointing using the screen is hit and miss. I've now got a B/T keyboard and mouse and things have improved dramatically.

It's personal choice which one is better. That's down to you. I use 4 of them in my company, and they haven't let me down. I will say one thing though. If you get to play with one on Threshold Release, you will probably end up asking why you had bothered. I mean it. You will wonder what is going on. Your 925 will show little difference, in smoothness etc. Put the 950 / xl on the Redstone builds, aka anniversary update, and you will be surprised. I have the insider build on a 950xl and it is pretty damned good. It unleashes the beast within, and now, to me at least, the phone makes sense. Nearly forgot. The best thing about these devices? The screens. They are brilliant.

What ever you decide, save a couple of quid, go on amazon, get a mozo cover, and jazz up the outside as well. The transform the look of the 950 and XL. Why Microsoft couldn't have added a couple of pounds to the price and provided something similar, I don't know.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Bought the 950 a few days ago. Don't like it. Too many ignored issues. I shouldn't even be having these types of issues from a phone that's been out for months. Bluetooth stuck, screen blacks out when glance is off and won't cut back on, gets extremely hot and a few more issues.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
You went in on the $300 price? Since 6.0,6.5, 7,8,8.1... I always bought thr flagship. The 950 was the first I just have not purchased. I want to give it a try... Especially since I miss windows phone, but i cannot unless it is less than $200... Still I would be worried with the future.

After breaking my 1520, i bought a 640.. and then a few Android phones. I have been wanting to get the s7 active... Almost did until I saw thr 950 again. I want a Windows phone.. but I am just tired of and not going to support something that I have to compromise all in thr name of fan.

I hope after thr go elite, thr 950drops even more. Then I will get one to have around.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Bought the 950 a few days ago. Don't like it. Too many ignored issues. I shouldn't even be having these types of issues from a phone that's been out for months. Bluetooth stuck, screen blacks out when glance is off and won't cut back on, gets extremely hot and a few more issues.

never have any trouble with my Bluetooth and as for your heating well you just got the phone and did updates and stuff so the phone is still sorting itself out... don't know what you mean the screen blacks out and wont cut back on....

karelj

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I went from a 925 to a 640 and then quickly to the 950. The 925 had the best battery life of the three, but that's because the screen is smaller and the processor was not exactly a beast. I have no regrets. Love the screen size - although I sometimes envy the XL's screen size - the camera is great and apart from a few minor niggles that come with running Preview Builds, I am enjoying the 950. Any complaints I have are because of the OS itself.

jimmy s1

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
thanks for the update, now you have confused me a bit more, hehehe. but I guess I will give 950 a shot this time, as it is little cheaper at this point, and well the surface phone comes out maybe next year

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
thanks for the update, now you have confused me a bit more, hehehe. but I guess I will give 950 a shot this time, as it is little cheaper at this point, and well the surface phone comes out maybe next year

Just to add on what @Mad Cabbie said above, just remember to update your phone to build 14393.67 via Insider Fast/Slow Ring (it is the most latest update available for Insiders currently, but that may change when the latest build for Redstone 2 comes out), and make sure to download the latest firmware as well. It will definitely make your phone the beast that it's meant to be, not the 'buggy mess' that it was when it first came out.

Also, when you first got your phone and power it on, go to the Store app first, and PAUSE ALL THE APP UPDATES. Then, do the steps I mentioned above. AFTER you did the steps above, go to the store, and update each app one by one, or update them all at once (I wouldn't recommend the latter). Why I advice you to do this is because when all of these updates are happening simultaneously (firmware, software, and app updates), the processor is being pushed to the max to perform all of these tasks, which causes the phone to overheat, making first time users feeling worried that their phone might explode (and yes, this happens a lot, even on my phone after doing a hard reset!).

Why I ask you to update the apps one by one is so that the app would update faster (relative to your WiFi speed). If you choose to update all of them simultaneously, the update speed will slow down and the processor would overheat a bit because of managing 20+ app updates, and this causes your phone to remain overheated for quite some time since the update process is slower.

So basically (TL;DR):
1) Turn on phone for first time
2) Pause all app updates on store app
3) Update to latest software build (via Insider Fast/Slow) and firmware
4) Update each app one by one via Store

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
My phone has the latest updates and it still gets extremely hot. And what I mean by the screen blacks out is, of you turn off glance the power button will work intermediately. The phone won't turn on until you hit the power button a dozen times or just launch the camera smh.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
The phone overall has been a big disappointment coming from a 1520. That's also sad to say because the 1520 has been pretty bad for me ever since w10m. My 1520 was once rock solid on 8.1. I was expecting better from the 950. The only thing I can praise the 950 on is Its camera.

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been thinking the same thing in regards to my 920, which was purchased on launch day. If want to talk to someone, I have to use speaker phone. Otherwise, they can't hear me.

I've never seen the 950XL, which for some reason I think I might prefer over the 950. A coworker has a 950 and seems to like it well enough. I'm on AT&T, which might be a reason to go for the 950, but I guess the XL will work on their network with some effort. Has the issue with visual voice mail been resolved with the XL & AT&T?

Based upon a lot of reviews I've read, I can't help but feel like both phones are still priced above what I would feel comfortable paying. I'm hoping Microsoft will drop the price further on both phones later this year. If the 950XL bundle they are selling right now was $350 or so, I would probably bite.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
My phone has the latest updates and it still gets extremely hot. And what I mean by the screen blacks out is, of you turn off glance the power button will work intermediately. The phone won't turn on until you hit the power button a dozen times or just launch the camera smh.

again I don't have that problem, there is something wrong with your device and I would take it in or have it replaced.....

CapoFantasma97

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Here, had 925, 930 and now 950/950 XL in my family (we are not super rich lol, just my father with a little hobby of buying and selling from ebay and similar sites, upgrading constantly our devices and earning a bit in the process).

I confirm my 950 is very confortable in the hand, it is quite light (instead of other Lumia generations) but still very solid.
The biggest qualities are the clear display, and the fast charging. Microsoft claims that the phone can charge 50% in 30 minutes: I confirm that, even if depending on the use, it may be very little longer or shorter than that (of course).
The USB C is addicting: Plug and go, you don't even have to think how you are plugging in, as the shape makes a lot easier and faster to connect, and the symmetrical shaoe itself makes so that you don't have to think if you have to flip it or not.
Finally, the hardware and performance are great as always. It's extremely fluid and any kind of loading (not the ones based on an internet connections) is blazingly fast to non-existant. Heat however, as already described, may be an issue, especially if you live in ahot place like me: If you exagerate with heavy stuff like gaming, the phone may overheat so much that it may autorestart. You won't even notice that much the heat until you touch the upper part of the back, near the camera.
The camera makes great photos in any conditions, and it's superior on speed and quality to any else Lumia (except the 1020, close but not equal).
XL version for now doesn't seem to different. Just a tad bigger. The different hardware makes so that the 2 versions have similar (high) durability of the battery: The XL balances with a bit bigger one.

The Nokia Lumia 925 is still very good: I would switch only if you feel you want to keep yourself up to date.

But please, don't cover the beauty of the naked phone with a random protective cover. Put on a slim transparent one and a screen protector if you feel that paranoid and you can't resist.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
But please, don't cover the beauty of the naked phone with a random protective cover. Put on a slim transparent one and a screen protector if you feel that paranoid and you can't resist.

The mozo accessory is a replacement of the back cover. It isnt a case.

jimmy s1

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
what about hp elite x3, does it have ability to side load desktop apps, i wonder if i can work on final draft or celtx on it, but it is way too expensive at this point and i would prefer to wait for surface phone in that price range, but have made up my mind, getting the 950 for now, thanks a lot guys, you've been the best

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb