This phone doesn't stand a chance!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Exactly. People here complain as if it's some sort of duty on the sales rep. part that they need to push Windows Phone. They'll push whatever sells easy. They're SALESMEN, not Microsoft employees. Did anyone see the Samsung smart stores in Best Buy? That's the kind of thing that'll sell Galaxy phones. Where's Nokia in Best Buy?

Just because there is a Samsung store in BB doesnt automatically mean people should be pushed to buy samsugn products. Is the sales rep supposed to actively try and push people away from WP when a customer comes in and asks for it explicity? Is the sales rep not supposed to know the product he's selling and offer unbiased advise and not just bash it because he doesnt like it or doesnt get commission? There's a huge difference between helping the customer and just helping yourself and from so many reports over the years sales reps are just not being honest in their representation of WP.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Up here in my country , Selling Samsung devices gives these sale guys some commission , So they always try to push a galaxy.

Had I kept reading, I'd have seen this post. This is also true, or at least was towards the end of last year at my job. I don't make commission, but I do know that an Android phone costs less for a carrier to subsidize than an iPhone. Selling more iPhones actually hurts their books temporarily. For more immediate results, they go to Android devices. Larger incentives can be had if you are selling lots of something that makes the company more money. I'm not sure where WP sits.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Need more stuff like this in more stores:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOLPTB0cZ9U

Very cool, i agree they need more of those. that massive phone demo mid-point helps identify more how Windows Start Screen performs. Here in Toronto, theres what 1 Windows Store? Thats not enough...as stated, MS needs to invest much more funding in ads at best buy, walmart, etc. Hopefully thats their plan for Blue.

Brad Miller2

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Just got a text from my brother. He is headed into the VZW store to port over him and his wife's phones from Sprint (Both Galaxy S2) - he is getting a black 928 and she is getting a white 928, so at least one VZW store (Cambridge, Ohio) is getting the Lumia=Awesome message loud and clear!!! LOL

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Totally disagree with all of you. You're all blaming the salespeople and yet there's this thread. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Seriously, sales reps are one of the last tiers between the manufacturer and the buyer. Focus your attention on the first tiers if you want things fixed. You don't address a problem by starting at the bottom, you do it by fixing the top and working your way down. WP8 isn't selling as hot as you wish it to because of the the items discussed in that thread, not because of sales personnel no matter how distasteful that may be for you to swallow.

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Very cool, i agree they need more of those. that massive phone demo mid-point helps identify more how Windows Start Screen performs. Here in Toronto, theres what 1 Windows Store?

You got 1 in toronto. We have 0 in the entire of Australia :)
But at least this carrier is stepping up to fill that void :)

I agree -- that store in Australia is a brilliant idea.

It's not just a one off thing either! They have 4 or 5 of them! One for each CBD (largest) store in each capital city.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
You got 1 in toronto. We have 0 in the entire of Australia :)
But at least this carrier is stepping up to fill that void :)

It's not just a one off thing either! They have 4 or 5 of them! One for each CBD (largest) store in each capital city.

They need to start doing the same with O2 etc, here in the UK.

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Totally disagree with all of you. You're all blaming the salespeople and yet there's this thread. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Seriously, sales reps are one of the last tiers between the manufacturer and the buyer. Focus your attention on the first tiers if you want things fixed. You don't address a problem by starting at the bottom, you do it by fixing the top and working your way down. WP8 isn't selling as hot as you wish it to because of the the items discussed in that thread, not because of sales personnel no matter how distasteful that may be for you to swallow.

Having worked at various positions up and down the distribution chain, I can tell you that you're severely underestimating the affect that the front line, the sales force, has on numbers. These are people that are supposed to be experts and all too many customers defer to them, as such.

cwbcpa71

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I went in to Verizon to check this phone out last week. I have never owned a Windows Phone. The sales rep actually spoke very highly of WP. She was informed and was able to walk me through the WP8 and more importantly how it may be the right phone for me and considering how I use my phone. My biggest concern was with the apps or lack of apps. After going through the phone I felt much less concerned about the apps. Everything that I use my phone for could be done with the 928 without question. I have an upgrade available next week that I may use on this phone. I may not have been willing to try the phone if it was not for this rep. I will say that this particular Verizon store is definitely pro Android. They don't push iPhone very much at all. They seem to at least try all the phones and have a working knowledge of them though.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Just because there is a Samsung store in BB doesnt automatically mean people should be pushed to buy samsugn products. Is the sales rep supposed to actively try and push people away from WP when a customer comes in and asks for it explicity? Is the sales rep not supposed to know the product he's selling and offer unbiased advise and not just bash it because he doesnt like it or doesnt get commission? There's a huge difference between helping the customer and just helping yourself and from so many reports over the years sales reps are just not being honest in their representation of WP.
The purpose of the Samsung store is to pull consumers, not push. This way Samsung isn't overly reliant on store reps to sell their phones. Nokia needs to do something like this.

Murani Lewis

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
That sounds more like a sales rep who is completely clueless and has not even properly done their WP training. WP8 has been on the carrier long enough where the sales rep should be completely comfortable with the system.

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Having worked at various positions up and down the distribution chain, I can tell you that you're severely underestimating the affect that the front line, the sales force, has on numbers. These are people that are supposed to be experts and all too many customers defer to them, as such.

What you're saying is true, in theory. The front line people are supposed to be experts. Sales reps should not have a bias based on their personal opinion.
But that's not how the real world works. 9 times out of 10, they are not experts, and they do have a personal bias.

It could be because front line people have the least experience/skill or are paid the least. (why would I work selling phones if I were skilled enough to be designing them?)
But whatever the reason, you can't fix the way the world works...

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
What you're saying is true, in theory. The front line people are supposed to be experts. Sales reps should not have a bias based on their personal opinion.
But that's not how the real world works. 9 times out of 10, they are not experts, and they do have a personal bias.

It could be because front line people have the least experience/skill or are paid the least. (why would I work selling phones if I were skilled enough to be designing them?)
But whatever the reason, you can't fix the way the world works...

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having bias - that's pretty normal, actually. As an employer, would I take a salesman passionate about one of their products over one that's indifferent to all of them? Any day of the week, man. Where we run in to problems is bias based upon ignorance, bias coming between the pairing of the customer and the best product for their needs and bias getting in the way of a sale. All of this is readily fixable, btw.

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
My experience isnt directly related to WP or Verizon, but still was a horrible experience with sales rep and how it can affect which phone to get
I went in a few days ago trying to get the new HTC One for my mom, (originally she wanted an HTC 8x like me, but unfortunately WP8 doesnt have a foursquare app, and my mom needs it to keep her business alive :/) my mom has the iphone4 and was on the fence about whether to stay with iOS or switch to android

As soon as I mention me needing a phone for my mom, the rep guy was like "and iphone 5 right?" and I was like "ehh no an HTC one" and he was literally merciless about pushing the iphone5, my mom who before getting there was leaning more toward iphone5 was completely turned off by the reps car sales tatics, and was now wanting an HTC One, and was telling the rep she wanted an HTC! and the rep would not ease up...kept being like "but its easy to use" and "no, but you want an iphone" "everyone has an iphone" and the kicker was...HE OWNED A DROID, smh it wasnt until I asked if he was getting paid for selling iphones because tmobile just got them, that he shut up and we just ended up leaving...

and honestly I had seen a lot of reviews on the HTC one, but when I checked it out in the store, same ol' android, no matter how nice the phone is..
and my mom felt the same, we're just gonna wait until WP gets foursquare for my mom to switch to WP :)
sorry just realized not to much on topic, but yeah sales rep can really hinder a customers experience with a phone

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
My experience isnt directly related to WP or Verizon, but still was a horrible experience with sales rep and how it can affect which phone to get
I went in a few days ago trying to get the new HTC One for my mom, (originally she wanted an HTC 8x like me, but unfortunately WP8 doesnt have a foursquare app, and my mom needs it to keep her business alive :/) my mom has the iphone4 and was on the fence about whether to stay with iOS or switch to android

But WP8 has foursquare...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)