This tweet to O2 UK shows why WP has a long way to go.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
So I sent a tweet to O2 (UK) today, asking about support for DataSense on WP8 GDR2. See the response below, some two hours later. This is a glimpse into why WP has a big uphill battle with knowledge and awareness from carriers.

Note to O2: It's Windows Phone 8, you know, the one with the Windows.

wp_ss_20130731_0001.png

awkm

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
This is where I enjoy unlimited data...no need to worry about Data Sense even though it works with my provider.

When I lived in the UK I was with o2 for close to 10 years in total. Always pretty good but looks like they've hired some fools to man their twitter account!

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
You do know O2 have got a beta going on a datasense app don't you?

I'm well aware yes. I have the beta for '(the Lab) My O2 Live Tiles' (what a mouthful). But let's be clear, it's not a DataSense app. Right now, the Live Tiles app plugs into your mobile phone account profile and pulls down a subset of basic allowance usage, information easily obtainable on the MyO2 website. That's fine but DataSense is much more than that. DataSense allows you to inspect how much data specific apps are using over cellular data and Wifi. You can set limits on data usage and it compresses web pages via a proxy to conserve your data allowance. It also can automatically switch to carrier sponsored Wifi hotspots when available.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm well aware yes. I have the beta for '(the Lab) My O2 Live Tiles' (what a mouthful). But let's be clear, it's not a DataSense app. Right now, the Live Tiles app plugs into your mobile phone account profile and pulls down a subset of basic allowance usage, information easily obtainable on the MyO2 website. That's fine but DataSense is much more than that. DataSense allows you to inspect how much data specific apps are using over cellular data and Wifi. You can set limits on data usage and it compresses web pages via a proxy to conserve your data allowance. It also can automatically switch to carrier sponsored Wifi hotspots when available.

The dev has said that as much as this is a beta its more to see how many responses they get before implementing other things. Like everything else it just takes time I guess - there aren't any other UK carriers offering the service either. Hopefully it gets sorted and data sense implemented properly.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Just to let you know that their final reply (after yet another faux pas) was, "no updates on this but you can use the MyO2 mobile website..." bla bla bla. I'm half tempted to reset my phone to see if a factory default device, with no SIM inserted just might enable it. But, it's a lot of work just for a 50/50 chance to be disappointed again although, it would allow me to install Halo SA....hmmm.

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
These o2 ads show how familiar they are with WP.

Ad in paper for o2 Priority Moments showing Nokia Lumia:
o2priorityad.jpg

Actual app:
o2priorityapp.jpg

Ad in paper for o2 Tracks showing Nokia Lumia:
o2tracksad.jpg

Actual app:
o2tracksapp.jpg

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
LOL that must be one ignorant Rep or someone who likes taking the mickey however with the impending launch of the 64gb Telefonica exclusive (those who don't know its the parent company of O2) this september might be the catalyst which we need. However I am contemplating on switching.. lets see what if they follow EE on pricing or they will actually be reasonable.

Rumors have it will be the former... i.e. ?26 for the basic package. O2 used to be competitive with tariffs but they are not anymore https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/tariffs/... absolutely terrible 300 minutes, unlimited texts & 500 mb data ranging from ?17 to ?27 depending on phone whereas in contrast their sim only tariff is decent enough.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
That..... hurt all the way here in the US. You must have just stared at your screen for a minute, wondering when the punch line was coming.

Hope they followed up with an apology and some sort of actual answer.

forgive my ignorance, but where is O2 as far as size of carriers in the UK? Have they been a decent WP supporter through WP7 and 8, or just a recent convert?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb