Touch issue on a Surface 3

Elezium

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I bought a Surface 3 (Non-Pro, the 4GB model) and so far so good, except one thing:

The tiles on the start menu (tablet mode or not) does not always open the application. I see the tile movement (tilted), I can old the "touch" to get change the size of the tile / remove it. But sometimes, I must 2-3-4 times on it before the applications actually open. I

Anyone got similar issues and possibly a solution?

I have 3 days to return it (still under the 30 days return term...) so hopefully, I could figure out sometime in that time frame.

Thanks
- Elezium

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Have you made sure they are installed? I found a couple tiles that must have been there for looks. SO I just removed them from the start menu since I wasn't going to use them anyway.

Elezium

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I'm sure they are installed because after x-times, they end up starting.

Also, I did try to remove the tile and create a new one by dragging the icon from the app list, same result.

6029KingStephen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I get the same issue on Windows 10, didn't happen on 8.1 or I didn't notice it. Get same on other touch instances as well, like picking a word from the Word Flow on the keyboard. I have reported it on the feedback app. I assume it's a touch driver issue of some kind that will eventually get fixed, if I'm right I don't think exchanging the unit will do you any good.

Elezium

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback.

You're probably right, changing the device is probably not a helper here. That being said, it's still roughly 850$ (CDN + Taxes + Pen) that I'm not truly satisfied because of this single issue.

I know it's a little issue, if I would have bought a "cheap" HP Stream, I could live with it. But not with a +-850$ devices. Software or hardware issue, I don't mind, it's the same company, so I do expect it to work properly. I'll try to give MS a call and if see what they can do.

Thanks.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I've had the exact same issue. It's not just with tiles though. There are many instances where I can see the screen respond to touch but the OS does not. A mouse seems to be accurate, so it's definitely something with the touchscreen drivers I would think not relaying the info correctly.

Sure it should be able to be fixed. But I wouldn't count on it.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I even dropped some feedback but I seemed to be the only one who posted that. Please report that as well and upvote any others reporting that.

I think it's some sort of pre-drag operation taking over before a click happens.

It drives me nuts and I'm not sure why more people haven't been complaining about it.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've had the exact same issue. It's not just with tiles though. There are many instances where I can see the screen respond to touch but the OS does not. A mouse seems to be accurate, so it's definitely something with the touchscreen drivers I would think not relaying the info correctly.

Sure it should be able to be fixed. But I wouldn't count on it.

This is a separate issue from the OP. When this happens check the task manager and see if your System process or System Interrupts are taking about 100% CPU cycles. Often a reboot clears it up.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Did any of you get Windows 10 factory loaded or was it an upgrade?

They have been working on mine at the MS store for most of the day trying to look at these issues and a handful of others. They are installing the factory Win 10 image now but even had problems themselves.

I think the OPs issues are mostly related to how the touch gets registered in Windows 10. If you have an ever so slight slide to your touch the touch won't register but things will bounce around still. I have to sometimes press with a little extra steady hand and make sure I land it square.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Mine was an upgrade, followed by a reset which caused a couple new issues.

I do have the same issue with the tiles. Perhaps it is in the way I touch them. It often takes several touches to get something to open. But in addition I often find touches elsewhere to be unresponsive. Particularly in Edge.

Elezium

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
It came with Windows 10 per-installed.

I'm actually resetting the this right now to see if it helps. I will also reports the issue. And, sadly, probably return the device. it's really buggin' me. And I'm "afraid" calling the support will be a waste of time and energy. :eck:

Keep you post after the reset is done...

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Mine was an upgrade, followed by a reset which caused a couple new issues.

I do have the same issue with the tiles. Perhaps it is in the way I touch them. It often takes several touches to get something to open. But in addition I often find touches elsewhere to be unresponsive. Particularly in Edge.

In Edge I think it's just the browser getting unresponsive. But there is definitely something it the tile touch algorithm that is off. I think any slight slide in the press nullifies the touch. Just my theory at this point.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It came with Windows 10 per-installed.

I'm actually resetting the this right now to see if it helps. I will also reports the issue. And, sadly, probably return the device. it's really buggin' me. And I'm "afraid" calling the support will be a waste of time and energy. :eck:

Keep you post after the reset is done...

I wonder if as MS store would be able to put 8.1 on for you?

I would say to contact support still. If they can't fix it the issues gets escalated. If enough of us complain they may get a fix out. If we are lucky there might be a registry tweak that takes care of it.

Elezium

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
So... I reset the Surface and the issue is still present, even if it seems to happen less often.. (weird).

I check on MS site and the only recovery image available (to us) is the Windows 10. I did not try to reach out MS Support yet since I have the feeling it's going to be an endless discussion and sadly, there's not MS Store in my city (I guess Montreal is too small?!! sighhhh) . At this point, I might return the device and check if Staples (or some other boutique where I can go, on site) still have some with 8.1 pre-installed...

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The Surface support team is really helpful. It's more like messaging an expert friend than corporate support. I'd open up a chat session from the Surface support web site. But it will probably end up getting escalated as I think it's just something fundamental in the Start tiles. Now that I concentrate harder to touch the tile squarely I don't get the tile bounce issue and the app launches.

Considering I was the first one to report this in feedback we need some more voices on this. You can even record a video and send it to them.

fabiomarp

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I do haver the same issue. My Surface 3 came with 8.1 OS Installed (which never had any touch problems), and I upgraded it to Windows 10.
After some problems of unresponsiveness, I did a factory reset. But then the touch-to-open app came out. It even happens when trying to click some buttons or when opening an app on the left bar. I can say that I am a little disappointed. Mouse and pen seems to work perfectly but it is also a tablet, and as a tablet, the touch interface should be used the same way mouse in desktop mode.

Elezium

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I'll get in touch this evening with the support.. I kind of love the device and don't want to return it. So I'll make a batch of coffee, bring the cookie jar in my office. And take the time needed with them.. In the end, if (1) it can help my situation (2) help others as well by reporting the issue.

Keep you post!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb