Touch or not to touch

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Alright..my monitor is acting funny. Used it for a good 12 years and now wish to gracefully retire it(though dad still protests it can work for a couple of years) so I need a new monitor ASAP.

now, the confusion. To get a nice and not overtly expensive touch screen or to get a normal monitor. My usage is going to be very normal. No gaming whatsoever. But need a large screen as the current is only 17". At least 22".
I have a Windows 8 installed and pretty much liking it. Need to do justice to it a touch screen I feel.
So will a nice 22-23" touch monitor or a normal desktop is enough for day to day use.

Gonna use it only for:
Surfing
Browsing
MS Word
PowerPoint
Reading and
YouTube

Also, is an AIO touch enabled recommended?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Get a 40" tv and hang it on the wall.

Then, a wireless kb and mouse.

Next bring in the barcalounger. This, this is computing.

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm sort of in the same situation as you are. I'm planning on getting a Dell ultrasharp 24" or 27". I'm not interested in touch since you pay more for less: more for the touch,, but less quality then the high end screens. I was thinking about getting a Leap Motion when they come out to market. It'll cost around 70$ and I feel that it's a better way to interact with a big screen. If you want an AIO check out the Dell XPS One touch 27. It's the best AIO out there and it has got a touch screen, but it's on the expensive side...

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
If you can get a monitor that can physically adjust to sometimes lay horizontal or near horizontal in front of you, go with a touchscreen monitor; otherwise, a non-touchscreen monitor will probably work fine. You already have experience with Windows 8 on a desktop with a mouse, so you know its strengths and weaknesses.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm sort of in the same situation as you are. I'm planning on getting a Dell ultrasharp 24" or 27". I'm not interested in touch since you pay more for less: more for the touch,, but less quality then the high end screens. I was thinking about getting a Leap Motion when they come out to market. It'll cost around 70$ and I feel that it's a better way to interact with a big screen. If you want an AIO check out the Dell XPS One touch 27. It's the best AIO out there and it has got a touch screen, but it's on the expensive side...

Yea Del XPS is pretty expensive. Plus I have had a bad experience with Dell. So it is out of my list in a way. I have zeroed down Lenovo C340 and 440. And one from Acer 5600U if I am not mistaken. I am open to HP as well.

If you can get a monitor that can physically adjust to sometimes lay horizontal or near horizontal in front of you, go with a touchscreen monitor; otherwise, a non-touchscreen monitor will probably work fine. You already have experience with Windows 8 on a desktop with a mouse, so you know its strengths and weaknesses.

I have decided to go with a non touch monitor. Practically everywhere I have looked/asked, people are suggesting against it. So many people can't be wrong. The only thing I will miss is experiencing W8 in its full glory. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo