Two Identical 640s With Different Settings?

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
No sarcasm here. That setting is missing on mine and i never realized. Maybe because it never has had a sim card in it and I only use it for testing a new build before my main phone gets it.

Wow. I am surprised because when i read that again i thought he has to be sarcastic. Those "Thanks for this thread, without i don't know what I'd do..." type of replies usually are :) Well I'm glad it helped you. You must be missing Touch and Motion Data as well. Call + SMS filter does nothing i found out...it just says something like we are phasing this out check with some other settings (I can't remember) to block your calls.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I bought an AT&T branded Lumia 640 last night to set up for my brother on Windows 10. I'm in a similar predicament to the OP. I got it upgraded to build 10586.122 and did a master reset to start fresh. When I started setting up the phone, I'm finding that the Extras options only has 4 choices: Display, Audio, Extras & Info, and Network +.

I first noticed this issue when updating all the pre-installed apps. There is an app called Equaliser (British spelling) that continuously fails. I'm not really sure why it is listed like that because I have an international Lumia 640 XL with the Equalizer settings as depicted in the OP. I've reset the phone multiple times trying to get it set up correctly, and it behaves the same way each time.

I've decided to use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to go back to WP 8.1 and start over, but I can't even get that to work. WDRT reboots the phone and says that it is "Switching the device to flashing mode," but the phone keeps booting like normal to the start screen and then the WDRT forces it to reboot again after a few seconds.

I've even tried another master reset, but the WDRT will still not successfully reinstall WP 8.1. We are AT&T customers and have no desire to mess with flashing a different firmware.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've decided to use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to go back to WP 8.1 and start over, but I can't even get that to work. WDRT reboots the phone and says that it is "Switching the device to flashing mode," but the phone keeps booting like normal to the start screen and then the WDRT forces it to reboot again after a few seconds.

Unplug the phone from USB and close WDRT.

Power off the phone and wait about 1 minute for shutdown to complete.

Hold down the Volume Up button and tap Power. When you see the Lightning Bolt and Gear screen, release Volume Up. You are now in flashing mode.

Plug into USB. Open WDRT. If t doesn't detect your phone use the "My device was not detected" button and navigate to the appropriate area to get your file download started.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Plug into USB. Open WDRT. If t doesn't detect your phone use the "My device was not detected" button and navigate to the appropriate area to get your file download started.
2016-03-05.png
I followed these instructions, but this is what happens when I click "My device was not detected." It's been doing this for several minutes. The computer recognizes the phone as Lumia Bootmgr when the phone first powers on, but then no longer detects a USB device once the phone enters flashing mode.

Edit: After many unsuccessful attempt at resetting the phone back to WP 8.1 and letting the phone sit for a couple hours, it looks like all the settings are correctly showing up in the Extras menu now. I'll go from here with setting up my brother's phone and hope my problem is resolved.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 123305
I followed these instructions, but this is what happens when I click "My device was not detected." It's been doing this for several minutes. The computer recognizes the phone as Lumia Bootmgr when the phone first powers on, but then no longer detects a USB device once the phone enters flashing mode.

Is it still plugged in?

Try a Soft Reset while it is connected. (Hold power button until phone vibrates, about ten seconds.)

Maybe that will kick start the process.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. I edited my previous post because I wasn't expecting such a quick response. The settings all appear correctly now, so I'm just going to set up the phone from here and hope the issues have resolved themselves.

Matt Dargis

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Has the 640 with the missing features updated all of its apps? Because touch, motion data, and the call/sms filter were app updates for me. I I am remembering correctly.

alexprox

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
app that are here have to download them

extras + info

access point

accessories

network+

feedback to Nokia

display + touch

audio

Nokia account

call+sms filter
callSMSfilter

you can search the store

RingADingAring

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
What is this? blocked SMS and Blocked calls are incorporated in the messaging app now. call+sms filter is a windows 8.1 feature. That's why it appears in your extra list. Having call+sms filter in your "extra" settings is the problem, not the other way around.

rav4kar

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi OP

These "extra" apps are standalone apps and once you can install them from store( could be factory-installed on some devices and some not). Once you install them and check the extras page. too much sweat here!!

Last edited:

slooksterpsv

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Go to Display and check scaling. Are they both on the recommended percentage?

Today I changed the scaling from recommended to a lower one started getting all sorts of weird crashes with some apps and bugs. Store had to update all my apps but not all of them were in the update. So not every app designs outside the recommended scaling? Not sure.

Wow... I just turned my scaling all the way down and now my phone looks like it can fit anything and everything on the screen. It almost feels like a Lumia 950. Or a high-end phone overall. Odd...

WesleyBPeres

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Unplug the phone from USB and close WDRT.

Power off the phone and wait about 1 minute for shutdown to complete.

Hold down the Volume Up button and tap Power. When you see the Lightning Bolt and Gear screen, release Volume Up. You are now in flashing mode.

How can I find every combination of buttons? When we upgraded to Amber, a lot of people were having the gear loop and then we needed to: vol+, vol-, power, vol+. WP has a lot of combinations that could be useful in a list.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How can I find every combination of buttons? When we upgraded to Amber, a lot of people were having the gear loop and then we needed to: vol+, vol-, power, vol+. WP has a lot of combinations that could be useful in a list.

That's a great idea...

I've not seen a list of button press combinations and what function each gives...

I do have a centralized place where people can put useful tidbits: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-how-guides/367132-useful-bookmarks.html

There is a lot of info in there. I catalog and organize it all. I try and update regularly. There is stuff for phones and desktop, hash codes, look ups, how to pages, etc. If you (or someone reading this) was to prepare a list and post it there, it may be the best place to keep it. I would catalog it and place it in the Windows (Phone Form Factors) section. It can always be expanded over time...

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
As far as I know, there are key combinations for:
Soft Reset
Hard Reset
Launch Windows Feedback (Windows 10 Mobile only)
Screenshot

Other than power on/power off, volume up/volume down, I'm not sure if there's really anything else out there that actually does anything. There's the odd little "press volume up/volume down at the same time" that used to cause the screen to blink, but it no longer does that in the version of Windows 10 Mobile that I'm running (.122).

There's also a combination that is not well known.
Vol+, Vol+, Vol-, Vol-, tilt left, tilt right, tilt left, tilt right, then on the screen: long press, tap, tap, tap, (pause), tap, long press.

This combination will give you unlimited power ups and extend your battery life by 24 hours.

If you haven't figured it out by now, this is a joke, and that combination is the Konami Code. The long presses and taps are the B A in Morse Code. Bwahaha!

Diamondx_8

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Wow. I am surprised because when i read that again i thought he has to be sarcastic. Those "Thanks for this thread, without i don't know what I'd do..." type of replies usually are :) Well I'm glad it helped you. You must be missing Touch and Motion Data as well. Call + SMS filter does nothing i found out...it just says something like we are phasing this out check with some other settings (I can't remember) to block your calls.
I too am missing this feature on my 640 XL and I am not happy about it.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
alright, now just have to wait for my mom to come back from her cruise and I'll hopefully finally fix the missing touch option from Extra's so she can have double tap to wake! Boy she doesn't know what she's missing!

*sobsob 950XL user*

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720