[UK] Are Phones4U sim-free 920s unlocked?

luckylifo

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I've read conflicting information on the internet about this. Can someone. who has bought the sim-free Lumia 920 from Phones4U, please confirm if this is indeed locked by putting in a 3 or o2 sim?

Thanks!

Barry Britcher

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
#i went into phons 4 u today and they let me try my three Uk sim - didnt work, they said you are ballsed until nokia release it to other networks and there is no timescale

sketchedout

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking to get one today sim free but really confused about this whole situation. I phoned Phones4u this morning (number off of website) and the guy I spoke to said that as far as he was aware they are unlocked. There is nothing on the website to suggest you will need to put in a ee / tmobile / orange sim if you buy sim free. However, early purchasers are saying that their phone is locked despite buying it sim free.
Is it because they have ended up with the wrong variant? In other words the shop didn't actually have the sim free ones but sold it anyway as that is what the customer wanted not realising the handset was actually locked. I don't mind getting one if it's locked and can be easily unlocked but I've not seen any replies from people on various forums that have unlocked it yet. I've also not seen on the mobile unlocking sites EE, they only seem to state the other UK carriers.

illumia

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Well it's completely screwed up even within phones4u staff to begin with, each day you receive conflicting information and interpretation of the stupid "sim-free" term... It's a joke! We had a really hard time clarifying what on earth they meant by that before the UK launch, we finally understood it was "without contract but locked to EE and some other networks", now they raise the "sim-free" flag again and people's questionmarks along with it... I just wonder how many people will buy the phone thinking it's fully unlocked before tphones4u realize that "sim-free" is a term subject to misinterpretations. Maybe when legal action kicks in, who knows!

sudakoma

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I too am getting completely fed up with all this conflicting information. Phones4u now have the 'sim-free' 920's on their site to order. No information on the actual listing to say the handset is locked to any particular networks. I phoned up to try to clarify before purchase and once again was told that are unlocked and will work on any network. I asked several times and after going away to check, the lady confirmed that yes, they are fully unlocked and will work on any network. She said that to make sure, it would be advisable to go into any store and physically try my sim in one. Just phoned my local store and they 'may' have some in a delivery due in this afternoon. I'm going to the store later and if I can find out any concrete information I will be sure to update this thread. Fingers crossed! :dry

Last edited:

rhocalcam

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Also just phoned P4U on the 0800 no. on their site. The guy confirmed they are locked to Orange/T-Mobile/EE.

Decided I'm going to order one, And get a T-mobile PAYG sim. Then after 3 months I will unlock it (Unless I can do-so beforehand through another method)

In the meanwhile, I will use call divert from my current phone to the 920 and use wifi tethering from my current phone to share data with the 920...yes it means carrying two phones but it means I won't pay anything extra and get the phone now instead of waiting for exclusivity to end.

After the three months I can put my Vodafone sim in and carry on as normal!

Phew.

sudakoma

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick update to this thread and to prevent anyone else wasting their time. The so-called 'sim-free' handsets being advertised by Phones4u are definitely not unlocked. I tried my O2 sim in one at my local store and it wouldn't work. It's time Phones4u updated their website and trained their staff so that everyone is clearly aware of the situation.

Anyway, while I was in store I signed up for a new 12 month contract with EE and walked away with my beautiful new Nokia Lumia 920!! :D

xH4RRYx

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I talked to a sales rep and he said the sim-free phones were unlocked. I wonder if it makes a difference whether you bought the phone off their website or not as i was about o then i saw this thread :s

sudakoma

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I talked to a sales rep and he said the sim-free phones were unlocked. I wonder if it makes a difference whether you bought the phone off their website or not as i was about o then i saw this thread :s

The phones on the website are the same as the ones in the shop, they are not unlocked.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I can also confirm that Phones4U are not selling unlocked Sim-free phones. I've had mine since yesterday and here's what I found out in my digging:

Orange (my new PAYG temporary sim) will only unlock a device when the sim has been 'paired' with a device for 3 months or more. When this happens, you pay ?20.42 to get the code but it will take 21 working days for them to give you the code. (This is what the guy on the phone told me). There is no way of speeding this up.

I found 3 companies that offer unlocking for the Lumia 920 (2 of them have similar urls so could be owned by the same people). The only UK based one wanted ?51 to unlock and said it could take 4-18 business days. The other two want $39.99 (?25) to unlock so I've gone with Cellunlocker.net - #1 Unlock Codes for Network Cell Phone Unlocking who say they will have it done in 3-10 business days. I heard a rumour they told someone they cant unlock phones for 3-4 weeks so I contacted them myself and just got a reply saying they will definitely be giving me the unlock code within 3-10 business days so at this point it's a waiting game. They deal through paypal so I figure if anything goes wrong I can get a refund. On their site they say if you can prove (by video) their code doesn't unlock the phone they will refund you in full.

So this is the latest I've found out. I called every unlocking service within my local area and none of them can unlock this phone and don't know when they will be able to.

WasStoNed

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Phones 4 U have now added a warning to the order page, which wasn't there when I placed my order......

I really want the phone (arriving tomorrow) but I want it unlocked and SIM free as sold!!!

:mad:

fishyuk

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Argh, same happened to me. Ordered at weekend, saw on the website today it was now EE only. Called to cancel and it was shipped today, can send back but may hold off to see what the unlocking results are. Somehow can't mentally go to the Clove UK price (and want the charging plate which I think U still get).

WasStoNed

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Argh, same happened to me. Ordered at weekend, saw on the website today it was now EE only. Called to cancel and it was shipped today, can send back but may hold off to see what the unlocking results are. Somehow can't mentally go to the Clove UK price (and want the charging plate which I think U still get).
I've been looking and the T-Mobile Full Monty via Chitter Chatter might be my only option on a rolling 30 day.

Bit miffed though as my O2 Simplicity contract has unlimited data and a 2 UK for 1 roaming text thing while I'm abroad, cost would be the same though

Either that or return it and get the HTC (longstanding fan) 8X but would like the Nokia extras.....bugger :mad:

fishyuk

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I found 3 companies that offer unlocking for the Lumia 920 (2 of them have similar urls so could be owned by the same people). The only UK based one wanted ?51 to unlock and said it could take 4-18 business days. The other two want $39.99 (?25) to unlock so I've gone with Cellunlocker.net - #1 Unlock Codes for Network Cell Phone Unlocking who say they will have it done in 3-10 business days. I heard a rumour they told someone they cant unlock phones for 3-4 weeks so I contacted them myself and just got a reply saying they will definitely be giving me the unlock code within 3-10 business days so at this point it's a waiting game. They deal through paypal so I figure if anything goes wrong I can get a refund. On their site they say if you can prove (by video) their code doesn't unlock the phone they will refund you in full.

So this is the latest I've found out. I called every unlocking service within my local area and none of them can unlock this phone and don't know when they will be able to.

Any luck with Cellunlocker yet? Decided to take the punt and keep mine (damn its nice, all setup on wifi and raring to go) and try Cellunlocker before I go down the changing network route. Only ordered the code on Monday Tuesday afternoon though so not yet in the 3-10 days window they quote. Wondered if you've heard from them yet? My 800 just seems too small now :).

Cheers

The Dude66

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Also bought an Phones4U Lumia 920. I went along with MobileUnlocked....I'll see how that goes. Also purchased via Paypal so pull back my money if they don't succeed. Takes them max. 18 days. I wonder how strict that network lock is. If I insert an Dutch (Tele2) roaming on T-Mobile network would that work... Anyway, if MobileUnlocked pulls through I'll post it here.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey I emailed Cellunlocker.net twice this week. First time I had heard they emailed someone else to say they couldn't unlock the 920 for another 3-4 weeks. I asked them if they could and if not how I could get a refund. they promptly replied they can and it'll be within the quoted time. Their site went down the next day so I emailed them about this and asked for a time period, they replied yesterday saying that they can definitely unlock the phone, they had some delay over the weekend but I will get my code end of this week or beginning of next week. I'll let you know what happens but I'm very impressed with them so far.

fishyuk

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Excellent news, fingers crossed you get it soon and it works. Hopefully mine will be no more than a day later than yours! Driving me crazy not having a SIM in it :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786